What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest winger ever

Cheap shots as always come from the cheap seats.

I have listed the best wingers of each decade. Brian Bevan was the best of two decades and is rightly regarded as the greatest winger ever.

stormbati

Bench
Winger is probably the only position where no one stands out since I been watching league (1999). None have the long jeverdy that takes them to the "greatness" level.
Even at Origin and test level we see fullbacks and centres playing on the wing.
To be completely honest (imo) Jason Nightingale is probably the most consistent of all the wingers. Always been reliable and a good finisher. At no point he probably was ever the best winger in the comp but over the last decade atleast he is right up there.

glockers

Juniors
Not the greatest, but late 80s Tigers wingers Steve O'Brien and James Grant were criminally underrated.

From my time watching the best would be Rod Wishart, ET, Willie Carne, Matt Sing, Timana Tahu and Martin Offiah.

Honourable mentions Darren Albert, Brett Dallas, Sean Hoppe, Luke Rooney, Pat Richards and Jamie Ainscough.

I only saw John Ferguson at the tail end, but, based off chats with older fans, of the guys before my time he would be up there with O'Connor, Grothe and Corowa.

POPEYE

Coach
Cheap shots as always come from the cheap seats.

I have listed the best wingers of each decade. Brian Bevan was the best of two decades and is rightly regarded as the greatest winger ever.
Of course Bevan was the best winger of all time, so far ahead the thread left itself open to pisstake . . . so we did our duty

Mr Spock!

Referee
Harold Horder

In two games against Queensland, in 1915, Horder scored a combined total of 60pts (5t, 8g in the 53-9 win on the Saturday and 5t, 7g in the 39-6 win on the Monday, which remains a record for an interstate series).

After following his brother Clarence "Spot" Horder to South Sydney, Harold in his first game, stepped and swerved through the entire Glebe team in a 90-metre dash to score one of the greatest individual tries in rugby league history. He went on to be the NSW Rugby Football League's top try-scorer in 1913, 1914 and 1917 and for each of the four seasons 1913, 1914, 1918 and 1922 he was the League's top point scorer.

35 tries in 25 games in 1921--22 kangaroo tour of England (a record that will never be broken)

23 tries in 9 games for NSW

152 tries in 139 games for South and Norths

Bloke

Juniors
Eric Grothe Sr, Kerry Boustead and Michael Hancock were my favourites, in my lifetime of following League.