What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth team 2023

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I hope so!!! I live in Brisbane and would be really excited to get a second Brisbane side. I am very excited about our game at the moment:

- North American World Cup locked in
- PNG finishing minor premiers in the QLD Cup
- Toronto all but promoted to the Championship in the UK
- Talks of New York to follow then through the UK system
- Toulouse not quite getting there this year but will have a crack at SL promotion next year
and now we may finally see Perth and Brisbane 2. As a local I can tell you that the Lions (AFL) and Reds (RU) are in such a poor state at the moment that they will fear NRL's Brisbane 2 greatly.

flippikat

Bench
[
6 years is way too long... they need to be there by 2020 in my view. Why not have a side there to boost the game's profile and TV ratings BEFORE the next TV deal?

Good question. Surely it wouldn't take too much haggling with the broadcasters to add Perth as 17th club BEFORE the TV deal expires, then add Brisbane2 as #18 when the new deal starts?

Sure it'd mean at least 1 team gets a bye every weekend.. but they can usethat for community engagement.. and it may help with player welfare. No extra game, but a new timeslot every few weeks with Perth home games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gotta say that runs counter to everything I've heard.

Even from a former NRL employee in Twitter who insisted the major stumbling block was the clubs.

Clubs are concerned about it from a point of view of player depth and what money might be available to clubs. The second issue is very easy for the nrl to answer, the money comes out of the nrl's $400mill not out of the $200mill allocated to existing clubs. The first part is much hard but it's subjective and very hard to measure when there is enough Stengh in depth.

flippikat

Bench
You'd have to think another club would have to come on to sell another game on to the networks.

Absolutely - And that's the key 'bargaining chip' that the NRL can offer in the negotiations for the next deal.

HOWEVER, as I said above.. the NRL could go to the current deal's broadcasters & say "hey, how about we add a 17th team in this deal?" as it's still 8 games per weekend, but it allows them to trial some new timeslots. After all, we've already seen some flexibility and horse trading in this current deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ideally you'd bring in Perth in 2020 and brisbane2 2021 so you had the ninth game to sell either to test digital in 2021 or to include in the tv negotiations which will likely take place in 2021 and start in 2022.

I can't see any expansion in the game all the while Grant and Greenberg are there.
I really did expect a lot more from Grant with his Rugby League background but sadly nothing much is going to happen under his watch, just treading water it appears and sometimes not even that.

Absolutely - And that's the key 'bargaining chip' that the NRL can offer in the negotiations for the next deal.

HOWEVER, as I said above.. the NRL could go to the current deal's broadcasters & say "hey, how about we add a 17th team in this deal?" as it's still 8 games per weekend, but it allows them to trial some new timeslots. After all, we've already seen some flexibility and horse trading in this current deal.

Are the NRL in any position to eke any more money out of a deal when the broadcasters don't get any additional games?

I agree in principal with what you're saying though, just think that unless there's serious value to the local WA market and a favourable Sydney timeslot that broadcasters would be reluctant to pay more on an existing deal without any extra games.

taipan

Referee
My take on this, if CBS(the Yankee broadcasting service) gets control of Ch10,we have a hell of a lot more competitive tension for Sport's right's bidding in this country.
Having an extra game/slot would be an extra high card up our sleeve.
ATM think the Tv stations are stretched in an uncertain ad climate.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think there's potentially profit in splitting the rights up further - sell some games to 7 some games to 9 etc.
Especially with FTA stations in a steady decline, split rights might be more palatable than putting up $800 mil for the lot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You'd have hoped the NRL would have kept the option of a ninth game up its sleeve in the tv negotiations to sell to whoever they wanted, but this is the NRL so I very much doubt they did.

adamkungl

Immortal
You'd have hoped the NRL would have kept the option of a ninth game up its sleeve in the tv negotiations to sell to whoever they wanted, but this is the NRL so I very much doubt they did.

Probably guaranteed to everyone that there won't be for an extra $50

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Are the NRL in any position to eke any more money out of a deal when the broadcasters don't get any additional games?

I agree in principal with what you're saying though, just think that unless there's serious value to the local WA market and a favourable Sydney timeslot that broadcasters would be reluctant to pay more on an existing deal without any extra games.

Extra 12, actually.

Last edited: