What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth team 2023

Stallion

First Grade
I'm guessing for "player depth" reasons.

The 'player depth' logic is a guess! And a convenient myth to thwart progress for this code. The players are out there and more will be attracted if additional clubs are announced in advance.

WireMan

Bench
Can you imagine a SL with Canada, American, engolish and French teams in it!
Perth should give up on the nrl and join as well!
I know you are being a bit flippant but looking to enter a team (get that annoyed force owner to help) in a lower league, with chance of promotion to the top league may ruffle a few feathers in both rugby codes there.

Almost a 'if you don't want a Perth side we know a league that does' sort of message to the nrl and union.

hutch

First Grade
Player depth, and the fact, as has already been shown, Sydney struggles to support 9 teams.
There is enough depth. Every year in the history of rugby league there has been good teams and bad teams.

Sydney is fine, you cut a team you lose tens of thousands of rugby league fans. Sure, there are a heap of improvements needed by each Sydney club in lots of areas but we have already cut an merged teams to get to the current number and there is a case for all of the clubs.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think the time has passed for culling, merging or relegating Sydney teams. It's not the 90's anymore, it would cause too much damage now. Having said that, with the current grant system, it is up to the clubs to remain viable, if they can't stay afloat in the top grade then it is not the NRL'S job to bail them out anymore.

When the new stadia are built in Sydney, the clubs need to pick a home ground and stick to it. And build membership and crowds off the back of world class facilities.

Intelligent investment in the Pacific Islands, PNG, New Zealand, Victoria, Western Australia and to a lesser extent South Australia will address the talent issue.

DC_fan

Coach
There is enough depth. Every year in the history of rugby league there has been good teams and bad teams.

Sydney is fine, you cut a team you lose tens of thousands of rugby league fans. Sure, there are a heap of improvements needed by each Sydney club in lots of areas but we have already cut an merged teams to get to the current number and there is a case for all of the clubs.

The struggle is more than just player depth, it is also with crowd numbers. This season six of the seven lowest crowd pulling clubs were from Sydney. Three of those six teams made the finals. In 2016 five of the eight lowest pulling clubs were from Sydney. In 2015 it was six of nine. In 2014 it was five of seven.

Stallion

First Grade
The struggle is more than just player depth, it is also with crowd numbers. This season six of the seven lowest crowd pulling clubs were from Sydney. Three of those six teams made the finals. In 2016 five of the eight lowest pulling clubs were from Sydney. In 2015 it was six of nine. In 2014 it was five of seven.

Valid points. However these clubs have a longevity in the market place. This longevity has an ability to gain fans from other parts of Australia. You will find fans of all Sydney clubs in regional and other city areas all over Australia. For instance, I iive in Newcastle and my 4 longtime mates go for clubs like South Sydney, Manly Warringah, Cronulla Sutherland and St George Illawarra. The crowd numbers are a challenge for a number of Sydney clubs. New purpose built stadiums will help however its a fact of life that factors like inclement weather, price gouging, poor scheduling times and losing teams are in the mix for impacting crowds numbers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So here are the reasons the nrl has quoted as why it so it use to stall on expansion 10 years after the first signs of excitement began.
1. Player depth
2. Not enough money on the coffers to slice the pie thinner
3. Existing clubs unsustainable and need bailing out when they go tits up

now if you agree or disagree it would seem the nrl has stuck solid with these excuses for a decade plus.
1. Player depth is a tricky one, how do you actually improve that? Is what the nrl has done over those ten years actually made a jot of difference? I'd suggest not. Reality is unless you have an elite program attached to a club the you won't see star players come through ina y greater number. There are only so many opportunities to shine available at an elite level
2. Not enough money. Well the nrl will soon have triple the revenue it had ten years ago, but it will never be enough if expansion isn't a priority, there will always be other things to spend it on. Digital being the latest thing to throw many millions at.
3. Sht run clubs. Well the nrl will soon have offloaded its two basket cases and with the grant going up massively it is now or never for some clubs. If they can't make ends meet in next three years move or cull them, no more bail outs,

DC_fan

Coach
Valid points. However these clubs have a longevity in the market place. This longevity has an ability to gain fans from other parts of Australia. You will find fans of all Sydney clubs in regional and other city areas all over Australia. For instance, I iive in Newcastle and my 4 longtime mates go for clubs like South Sydney, Manly Warringah, Cronulla Sutherland and St George Illawarra. The crowd numbers are a challenge for a number of Sydney clubs. New purpose built stadiums will help however its a fact of life that factors like inclement weather, price gouging, poor scheduling times and losing teams are in the mix for impacting crowds numbers.

In most cases it doesn't. People follow a team for many different reasons. I am not sure that longevity of the team is at the top of their list. Maybe it's not even on their list. Anyway being a Rabbitohs fan in Adelaide is not going to help Souths crowds in Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In most cases it doesn't. People follow a team for many different reasons. I am not sure that longevity of the team is at the top of their list. Maybe it's not even on their list. Anyway being a Rabbitohs fan in Adelaide is not going to help Souths crowds in Sydney.

Agree, Storm have been around much shorter time but have equal number of interstate fans as some teams 80 years older than them. Any new club will eventually do the same.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So here are the reasons the nrl has quoted as why it so it use to stall on expansion 10 years after the first signs of excitement began.
1. Player depth
2. Not enough money on the coffers to slice the pie thinner
3. Existing clubs unsustainable and need bailing out when they go tits up

now if you agree or disagree it would seem the nrl has stuck solid with these excuses for a decade plus.
1. Player depth is a tricky one, how do you actually improve that? Is what the nrl has done over those ten years actually made a jot of difference? I'd suggest not. Reality is unless you have an elite program attached to a club the you won't see star players come through ina y greater number. There are only so many opportunities to shine available at an elite level
2. Not enough money. Well the nrl will soon have triple the revenue it had ten years ago, but it will never be enough if expansion isn't a priority, there will always be other things to spend it on. Digital being the latest thing to throw many millions at.
3. Sht run clubs. Well the nrl will soon have offloaded its two basket cases and with the grant going up massively it is now or never for some clubs. If they can't make ends meet in next three years move or cull them, no more bail outs,

Player depth - you are correct, although the NRL have said publically that they are expanding through the second teir. PNG and the Pacific Strategy may be about increasing the production line of talent. They also need to do more in Victoria, WA & SA too and they will have created a nice pool of national and international players. Having said that, the moment you introduce a new team (or two) or course it will dilute the player pool at the top level but that is where good pathways will have us back within a few years.

100% agree on revenue - the revenue is incredible these days and until top level (NRL) expansion is a priority, it won't happen

New grants and a sinking fund will address this.

I think the NRL are trying to do things but they could be done much better. You pretty much nailed it with the prioritisation of expansion though. If the latest whispers / rumours really are true about 2023 then announce it now and let Perth get excited and the public will really get behind the upcoming marquee events that they have (World Cup, Double Header, State of Origin). By the time 2023 gets here the game will have a tonne of momentum.

Latest posts