What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passionate RL fan must vent before he explodes

mozza91

Coach
The quality of the players is great and the product itself is fantastic, ratings are excellent, crowds are ok, the onfield refs are ok.

The 2 things letting the game down are the bunker and it's negative media. So bring back the old video ref system and drop a scud missile on Daily Telegraph headquarters and we'll be sweet.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm yet to hear a valid argument to why the Bunker is letting the game down, or why it's worse than the video referee system.

Most of the complaints aimed "at the Bunker" are actually complaints about the rules or their interpretations, which would've happened under the old video referee system as well.

I'm yet to hear a valid argument to why the Bunker is letting the game down, or why it's worse than the video referee system.

Most of the complaints aimed "at the Bunker" are actually complaints about the rules or their interpretations, which would've happened under the old video referee system as well.

Indeed. How soon people forget about tries being awarded by the Video Referee due to benefit of the doubt ;)

Big Pete

Referee
The competition is in the middle of a weird transitional phase and it's difficult to know when exactly it will grow up. While fans have had to bid farewell to the biff, the shoulder charge and a few other elements that made the game exciting, there really hasn't been much in the way of progress.

The player market is a mess and a huge turn off for fans. I can't begin to imagine how it would have felt for a team like Wests who lost James Tedesco, Mitchell Moses and Aaron Woods right in the middle of a difficult season. There needs to be a proper time and place for all these announcements to be made so fans have something to look forward to without it disrupting the season like it undoubtedly does.

I feel bad for the officials. Even if Rugby League had perfect officials who called everything to the letter of the law it wouldn't stop all the media personalities (most ex-players) from whinging. Everyone has their solution, but the way I see it, the referees are trigger shy. Penalties have a huge bearing on the game and there are some infringements that aren't worth a kick for touch. Referees know this, so they show a lot of discretion which naturally results in inconsistency. If you at least got rid of the kick for touch and just allowed for the quick tap or a reset of the tackle count it would make the game so much better. There's a bunch of rules I'm not fond of like the interpretation of the 8 point try, 'torso' tries, 7 tackle restarts etc. but I don't think changing those would have as positive an effect.

Also let's call a spade a spade. The MRC and the judiciary are a joke. Whatever needs to happen to overhaul that to ensure there's consistency between the charges the better.

As far as I can tell, the ARL is still struggling with junior development. Again, clubs are forced to spend far too many of their own resources to ensure there's enough talent to go around and they can't cater to everyone. The NRL needs to invest in the future and bring these kids through and ensure that if they fail to land a gig with one club by the age of 20, that it isn't the end of their careers. I'm seeing far too many players particularly down in the NSW Cup squeezed out of the game because there isn't enough opportunity to go around and the effect it's having is that you're seeing a lot of sub-par players making the grade.

The game is still as enjoyable as ever, the problem is that the game could be so much more.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I actually agree with the NRL's grassroots branding being completely off - 'PlayNRL' isn't the banner they should be using.

no name

Coach
I have told anyone who would listen for a while that NRL is not rugby league.
NRL is a different game to any other level of rugby league.

I have told anyone who would listen for a while that NRL is not rugby league.
NRL is a different game to any other level of rugby league.

I'll agree with you there. When I was refereeing in the Parramatta junior league, one of my referee coaches used to say "don't worry about what they do in first grade, that's entertainment" and the person I'm quoting was an ex-first grade touch judge of long standing.

thorson1987

Coach
I'll agree with you there. When I was refereeing in the Parramatta junior league, one of my referee coaches used to say "don't worry about what they do in first grade, that's entertainment" and the person I'm quoting was an ex-first grade touch judge of long standing.

Had the same in the Western Suburbs junior league, and the refs coach was the touch judge involved in one of my favourite grand final moments.

DF0112479-AINSCOUGH.jpg

This Year?

Immortal
The rot has set in.

Personally I really don't think it's rocket science. What is there to be optimistic about for Rugby League fans in Australia? That Rugby Union is doing even worse? Set that bar any lower and you're gonna need a limboist. The AFL is kicking the NRL's ass in pretty much every facet and it's not a fun thing to witness. Crowds, ratings, media coverage, they dominate all of it, and not because they necessarily deserve to do so, it's just that the NRL is so ineptly administered that 90% of the time, it's own goals that are damaging them, not anything the AFL is doing. We have State Of Origin for f**k sake, easily the biggest sporting event in the country involving a ball and still we can't bruise the chip chasing Seagull filth down south.

Todd Greenberg is out of his depth, it's as simple as that. All of this new shit like the RL commission and finally being free of Newscorp and their garbage, all of these big changes that were supposed to give us cause to think big about our favorite sport and all of it has gone off like a fart in a balloon. And don't even get me started on recent rule changes.

The way the NRL have been f**king with the rulebook in recent times just goes to show you how lacking in vision they are in everything else. The 2 referee system sucks and doesn't work like they said it would, neither does the bunker (what a monumental disaster that has turned out to be after all the hype), the 7 tackle set has ruined the playmaking potential of sides in attack because nobody wants to risk giving away an easy out of the opposition half with a flashy move into the in goal, the shoulder charge rule, well where the f**k do you start with that. Taumalolo had a textbook one on the weekend and he is playing next week. So what the f**k is the point then?

I could get into Melbourne and their bullshit style of play that the NRL allows them to strangle the comp with but I've given up expecting anything to be done about that. It's old man shouting at clouds stuff at this point. I understand that people will read this and think it's just raw cynicism, I get why you would think that, but I really don't like it being that way. I love this sport with all my heart, and I want it to be the best it can be always, but it has gone nowhere but backwards in recent years and that is only accelerating. The JT/Cronulla fairytales don't do much to help the idea that the NRL have agendas they try to fulfill at the expense of others either, so why be so surprised that people are disenchanted.

Before the dogpile begins, I'll say right now that the Broncos could win the Grand Final in 2 weeks and my opinion would not change one iota. This isn't about club loyalty, not a bit, this is about loyalty to the sport, and the desire for it to thrive instead of being throttled every week with either bad press or poor quality games.

I've found ever since sportsbetting has became bigger with NRL and fox has been more into it the gane has changed for the worst. Teams have become overcoached to play the same way as the teams that won the comp last season.
Teams used to have character and although they still do it's more of a watered down version. Ever since reserve grade got got canned the quality of NRL has dropped.

The problem is the media go on too much about the bad parts of the game and don't sell as much of the good. The game has a bad perception due to referees, poor administration and the media.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Didnt even think the storm were that dirty tbh. No more dirtier than brisbane who really grubbed it up

Like the attack wasn't as good as it could be but the storm were pretty entertaining. What do people want from them ???

RockWheel

Bench
Didnt even think the storm were that dirty tbh. No more dirtier than brisbane who really grubbed it up

Like the attack wasn't as good as it could be but the storm were pretty entertaining. What do people want from them ???
To lose every game they play. not unreasonable i don't think.

Latest posts