What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pure plod

Someguy

First Grade
Dragons of the last 5 years:
1. Gerard Beale
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Nathan Green
4. Dylan Farrel
5. Eto Nabuli
6. Adam Quinlan
7. Josh McCrone
8. Jack Stockwell
9. Mitch Rein
10. Dan Hunt
11. Branson Harrison
12. Will Matthews
13. Jake Marketo

Coach: Love child of Paul McGregor and Steve Price

How frustrating is Vidot! One of the strongest runners of the ball but could never catch or hold onto the thing. I still remember a game against Souths where he came off the bench dominated the burgees boys and turned the game

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Vidot could have been corey oates and big Manu wrapped into one player if he didn't have the soul of Michael bani

no name

Coach
Burty? Eels leading try scorer, very harsh.

After much consideration I've come up with a Top 25 style plodder squad for Parra since about 1998 when I can remember who the f**kers were. It's a very long list, so guys who played fewer than 10 games haven't been included. I've also not included failed project players (eg Chris Thorman). Just players who were, IMO, straight up plodders.

1-Etu Uaisele
2-Taulima Tautai
3-Jonathon Wright
4-Cheyse Blair
5-Jordan Atkins
6-Kris Keating
7-Brett Finch
8-Mitch Allgood
9-Anthony Mitchell (I've broken my ten game rule because this bloke was the next big thing and wasted a spot in our top 25 for a thousand years while we were winning spoons)
10-Justin Poore
11-Brendan Oake
12-Taniela Lasalo
13-Matt Ryan

14-Shayne Dunley
15-Joseph Paulo
16-Weller Hauraki
17-Junior Paulo (the first one, not the fat one)

Reserve Backs
18-Jeremy Smith (the half)
19-Junior Langi
20-Jacob Loko
21-Reece Robinson

Reserve Forwards
22-Josh Cordoba
23-Steve Crouch
24-Justin Tsoulos
25-Aaron Cannings

26-Billy Rogers. Sat on the bench in several games and was never used, definitely deserves an honourable mention

*shudder*
Surely you can extend to '97 to include the great Troy Campbell.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Mitch Brown
Luke McDougall
Blake Ayshford
Jono Wright
Nathan Merritt
Matt Hilder
Jeff Robson
Matt Bickerstaff
Fraser Anderson
Sam Isemonger
Andrew Lomu
Dean Bosnich
Hutch Maiava

Good to see both Chris Anderson's boys (Ben and Jarrad) are in these lists for their respective teams (Storm and Sharks).
Nepotism at it's finest - neither of them ever played first grade under any coach but their dad, and it was pretty obvious to everyone but Opes why. I doubt there was a single tear shed by fans of either club when they were released.
In both cases their release was a major contributing factor in breakdown of relationship between coach and club and Anderson's ultimate departure.

Jarrad Anderson was set upon and quite badly beaten by sharks fans in the dunnies at northies.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Mitch Brown
Luke McDougall
Blake Ayshford
Jono Wright
Nathan Merritt
Matt Hilder
Jeff Robson
Matt Bickerstaff
Fraser Anderson
Sam Isemonger
Andrew Lomu
Dean Bosnich
Hutch Maiava
didn't know mad pup started at the sharks

Saxon

Bench
Jarrad Anderson was set upon and quite badly beaten by sharks fans in the dunnies at northies.
I didn't know that, that's pretty rough. He didn't deserve beating up just for being a reserve grade standard player who got a leg up from his dad.
Chris could be a pretty arrogant merkin though, and if some of that rubbed off on the kid i could see how he could get people offside.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Great analogy re: Carlaw. He was classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".
Swain was immensely popular with the old school Storm fans. 80 minute player, 50 tackles a game, never got injured sort of thing. His one job in attack was to get the ball to Kimmorley or Hill. Couldn't believe how salty the fans were when the club decided to release him and keep Smith in 2002.

Turned out to be a terrible decision in hindsight.....

myrrh ken

First Grade
How you can list Covell I will never know. He played a test and set club point scoring records. He was slow but he was good and Cronulla have a long, long list of much shitter wingers (Stapleton, Gardner, Isaac Gordon, Anderson, Matt Wright etc etc)

Sharks.

1. Albert Kelly
2. Laloa Milford
3. Dean Collis
4. The ultimate plodder Ben Pomeroy
5. Jarrad Anderson
6. Blake Green mk i
7. Tim Smith
8. Broderick Wright
9. Corey Hughes
10.Taulima Tautai
11. Paul Stephenson
12. Reni Matua
13. Grant Millington

14. Adam Cuthbertson
15. Nathan Gardner
16. Matt Wright (how he is still playing first grade is beyond me)
17. Josh Cordoba

We have had some dross.

Haha just saw your sharks team. Gee it would be a bland contest between the two.

Thought albert kelly was promising. The pom was the quintessential plod.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Had a go at a Broncos plod team

1: Nick Parfitt
2: Scott Minto
3: Stuart Kelly
4: Denan Kemp
5: Leon Bott
6: Shane Perry
7: Brett Seymour
8: Martin Kennedy
9: Richard Swain
10: Ben Cziskowski
11: Michael Coorey
12: Brad Meyers
13: Darren Burns

14: Robert Tanuila
15: Elia Tuquri
16: Steve LaCaze
17: Steve Michaels

Quality side. Shane Tronc could get a run. Also Stu Kelly should have the (c) next to his name. I could have sworn he was a match fixer he was that bad.

King hit

Coach
Quality side. Shane Tronc could get a run. Also Stu Kelly should have the (c) next to his name. I could have sworn he was a match fixer he was that bad.

Are you aware Stuart Kelly played for Queensland. But that was 1997 so take that as you may.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Troncy ended up having some good years for us but in an Aiden tolman type mould. Pumped out some good numbers on a week by week basis but rarely got more than 6 or 7m each hitup, get pummeled and dominated in a tackle by somone 20kg smaller and can't remember a single clean line break.

Latest posts