What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Much is in the Kitty Jar

emu62

Juniors
Thats actually incorrect. We can "arrange" TPAs that the players manager ends up taking care of.
That is not part of the cap.

Thanks Dragon, i was under the impression that if the club was involved in any way it has to come under the cap, my mistake

Life's Good

Coach
Thanks Dragon, i was under the impression that if the club was involved in any way it has to come under the cap, my mistake
Basically the club cannot underwrite the TPA because if the do they are then guaranteeing money hence it would have to go on the cap.
In the recent past there have been instances of players having to chase money that was promised in a TPA that didn’t materialise. From memory Keiran Foran at Parramatta.

MrDragon007

Juniors
Basically the club cannot underwrite the TPA because if the do they are then guaranteeing money hence it would have to go on the cap.
In the recent past there have been instances of players having to chase money that was promised in a TPA that didn’t materialise. From memory Keiran Foran at Parramatta.
Spot on. A club has "people" that are willing to donate money as TPAs, money that can be a tax deduction for that company.
The club can point the player manager in those "peoples direction" but the nitty gritty of the payments is between player manager, player, and the "people".
If the club gaurentees to cover the payments if they fall through then yes, it will be added in the cap.
But as the club has no part in negotiations regarding payment structure then it has no impact on the cap.
Emu, thats why many fans get upset that the richer clubs can get away with murder.
They contract work out to companies, pay the companies $200k or $300k extra, as an example, but that extra money that company gets they return it as a TPA to help secure a player.
Shit hit the fan with the dogs and Fifita, if you recall?
Many with inside knowledge were claiming upto $400k was offered as TPA/Sponsorship for Fifita, its un-managable, TPAs will kill many teams before the problem can be fixed.

Life's Good

Coach
Spot on. A club has "people" that are willing to donate money as TPAs, money that can be a tax deduction for that company.
The club can point the player manager in those "peoples direction" but the nitty gritty of the payments is between player manager, player, and the "people".
If the club gaurentees to cover the payments if they fall through then yes, it will be added in the cap.
But as the club has no part in negotiations regarding payment structure then it has no impact on the cap.
Emu, thats why many fans get upset that the richer clubs can get away with murder.
They contract work out to companies, pay $200k or $300k, as an example, but that extra money that company gets they return it as a TPA to help secure a player.
Shit hit the fan with the dogs and Fifita, if you recall?
Many with inside knowledge were claiming upto $400k was offered as TPA/Sponsorship for Fifita, its un-managable, TPAs will kill many teams before the problem can be fixed.
Great explanation mate. Now can you explain why our club still hasnt made the start line in the TPA race?? We just do not seem to be a player.

MrDragon007

Juniors
Great explanation mate. Now can you explain why our club still hasnt made the start line in the TPA race?? We just do not seem to be a player.
Its extremely hard to find a business that will straight out hand over to a club for a player.
And we, unfortunately, dont have a profitable leagues club that can "contract work out and pay extra" for the companies to pay back as TPAs.
We done well, given our situation, to get it done for widdop, hunt, and graham.
These other clubs have leagues clubs (dogs, panthers etc), owners (rabbits), and CEOs (roosters) that can arrange the money trail. Others have Fox as part owners, that explains itself really.
I dont know if iv explained it clearly enough, its the best i can do.

Life's Good

Coach
Its extremely hard to find a business that will straight out hand over to a club for a player.
And we, unfortunately, dont have a profitable leagues club that can "contract work out and pay extra" for the companies to pay back as TPAs.
We done well, given our situation, to get it done for widdop, hunt, and graham.
These other clubs have leagues clubs (dogs, panthers etc), owners (rabbits), and CEOs (roosters) that can arrange the money trail. Others have Fox as part owners, that explains itself really.
I dont know if iv explained it clearly enough, its the best i can do.
My question was more philosophical. The Dragons are a great brand(arguably), we have a very fan friendly image, have a large supporter base, storied history & represent a large geographical area in the most populous state in Australia. It’s a great checklist to sell in the marketplace. If we had the right people, who could harness what we have to offer then we should be able to compete. As already noted, we have a board that is more interested in immediate self preservation than long term prosperity.

SaintPauli

Juniors
How is it that clubs such as the successful ones on a regular basis eg Storm Brisbane Roosters and Dogs always get the players that want and somehow manage the most TPA's without the club being involved exempting the players from salary cap. Surely there is some communication at some point between player manager, player, club recruitment manager and sponsor! SURLEY!

Latest posts