What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40/30 - it should be time

T-Boon

Coach
The NRL should be and highly likely are considering adjusting the 40/20 rule to 40/30.
This would be a great change (there were only 30 successful 40/20 in 2017). Once they have considered it they should implement it post haste.
40/20 is not enough of a threat to the defence. If they change it to 40/30 a lot more will be attempted earlier in the set of possession and more will be successful. Therefore the defence will need to make a decision if they want to drop the wingers back earlier in the set than they presently do. This will open up space laterally and result in more passing of the ball through the back line.
Forcing the defence into having to make different decisions and creating more attacking threats will see the game soar.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The NRL should be and highly likely are considering adjusting the 40/20 rule to 40/30.
According to who? Haven't seen it talked about anywhere.

This would be a great change (there were only 30 successful 40/20 in 2017). Once they have considered it they should implement it post haste.
Good attempt at couching the statistic with the word "only". The point of the 40/20 is the reward for performing a difficult kick. It shouldn't be easy to achieve otherwise it defeats the purpose.

Forcing the defence into having to make different decisions and creating more attacking threats will see the game soar.
"See the game soar"?

Surely this is a piss take and I've taken the bait.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I suppose the OP wants to raise the field goal points from one to two as well.

There were about 22 field goals kicked in 2017 when compared to 40/20s.

Degree of difficulty versus necessity? Generally, 40/20s don't win games but field goals do, especially just before or during golden point.

T-Boon

Coach
I prefer 20/20 (what happened to the first iteration of this thread?)

I got called out by the powers that be over the wording where I, admittedly completely fraudulently, suggested that the NRL were actually considering this when I only said that to get people interested.

shame.......shame.......shame.

T-Boon

Coach
The point of the 40/20 is the reward for performing a difficult kick. It shouldn't be easy to achieve otherwise it defeats the purpose.

It wouldn't be EASY to achieve. It would be EASIER to achieve.
Even then it would only be easier to achieve if the defence didn't have their wingers back for the entire set. Thats the main point. The defence would have decisions to make in terms of do we protect the 40/30 by sacrificing a couple of defenders in which case the attacking team might go around us. Or do we leave the 40/30 available.

T-Boon

Coach
It would be good to get the 40/20 rule to be so relevant that when your team is defending you are worrying at least as much about a line break or a 40/20 as you are about your team conceding a frustrating penalty.
Admit that fact sports fans. When your team is defending you are thinking "don't concede a penalty" right? Rightly so because it is far more likely under these set of rules that your opponent will get an opportunity in your 30m zone by way of a dodgy ruck penalty than they are by way of their own play making.
Thats an embarrassment to the sport.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Why would we incourage MORE kicking? If you what to watch a boring game full of average kicking watch VFL or Union...

It would not encourage it much. You would kick on 3rd or 4th a bit more, but since you've done that in the first couple of sets already and shown your hand the defence is expecting it so they respond by dropping the wingers back. Suddenly they have 2 less defenders in the defensive line and you are in fact going to pass more. Which is what the game really should be built around. You would see less bombs and praise god for that. It would just mix it up a lot more.

Id like to see some rule changes that encourage RUNNING the ball a bit.

Hit ups and dummy half running are running and there is plenty of that. I don't want to see more of that type of running. I want to see more passing. Especially inside own half passing. That is the essence of the game. All the best tries of the year are big passing plays from inside own half.

40/30 promotes more passing.

Parra Pride

Coach
I suppose the OP wants to raise the field goal points from one to two as well.

There were about 22 field goals kicked in 2017 when compared to 40/20s.

Degree of difficulty versus necessity? Generally, 40/20s don't win games but field goals do, especially just before or during golden point.

Honestly for the good of the game a successful field goal should be equal to a converted try, with a miss that lands within a newly introduced set of posts either side of the goals being worth one point.

beave

Coach
Honestly for the good of the game a successful field goal should be equal to a converted try, with a miss that lands within a newly introduced set of posts either side of the goals being worth one point.

Baaaall ump....

Latest posts