What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NBA Season 2017/18

T-Boon

Coach
Ben Simmons crapping on about the NCAA again. He is starting the shit me. He didn't have to play college basketball. He did so to ensure he was the number 1 draft pick. What, does he demand high school players get paid as well?
WTF is an Australian doing going over there and trying to fix their system.

shiznit

Coach
Ben Simmons crapping on about the NCAA again. He is starting the shit me. He didn't have to play college basketball. He did so to ensure he was the number 1 draft pick. What, does he demand high school players get paid as well?
WTF is an Australian doing going over there and trying to fix their system.
I haven’t seen what he’s said...

But it’s a bullshit system.

The big college sports makes MASSIVE money through ticket sales, merchandise and huge TV deals...

And the kids don’t see a cent in it... it’s the biggest con job around.

I don’t mind college sports... but they need to allow kids the opportunity to go straight into the league from the end of high school.

Give them the choice...

T-Boon

Coach
And the kids don’t see a cent in it... it’s the biggest con job around.

Thats not exactly true. They get hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of education and an allowance ($40k a year or something).
Thats been perfectly fine for one hundred years and remains fine for the vast majority of student athletes.
It has become a big issue for the absolute elite over the last 20 years because of the obscene money TV has brought in.

I don’t mind college sports... but they need to allow kids the opportunity to go straight into the league from the end of high school.

I agree. But thats up to the NBA and NFL. There isn't a rule that forces players to play college basketball. Simmons could have played in Europe or NBL. He played a year of college because it was the safest route to number 1 draft pick.

College sport is popular because it is amateur. Mess with that and suddenly you have agents, restraint of trade issues, switching schools. All the crap you see in pro sports. It would ruin it.

Iafeta

Referee
Free college education, free accommodation, national exposure to build their draft stocks, the players get plenty from college scholarships. Most high school athletes pray for mercy they get one. A lot of them are probably realistic that the step to the pros is a bridge too far so getting a high level education for free is great. For those who want to make it, they also have access to outstanding, and often very experienced coaches, and full athletic training programs which can sometimes turn ok high school players into NBA draftees.

I haven't seen his comments either. But agree with TB. They get one of the most coveted rewards, a free college scholarship. Seriously, some of the guys that get them had no hope otherwise due to tough upbringings and poor access to funds, to average high school performance, and all of a sudden find themselves receiving amazing education.

Iafeta

Referee
It's Giannis v the Spurs. My good lord he is absolutely spellbindingly brilliant. His euro step plays are magic. He can hurt you from anywhere.

shiznit

Coach
Thats not exactly true. They get hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of education and an allowance ($40k a year or something).
Thats been perfectly fine for one hundred years and remains fine for the vast majority of student athletes.
It has become a big issue for the absolute elite over the last 20 years because of the obscene money TV has brought in.

I agree. But thats up to the NBA and NFL. There isn't a rule that forces players to play college basketball. Simmons could have played in Europe or NBL. He played a year of college because it was the safest route to number 1 draft pick.

College sport is popular because it is amateur. Mess with that and suddenly you have agents, restraint of trade issues, switching schools. All the crap you see in pro sports. It would ruin it.
It’s all a load of crap...

The so called scholarships they are on are rubbish...

They aren’t guaranteed a full 4 year scholarship.

The schools can pull the scholarships for any reason after the first season...

And the students are forced to take the courses which suit the schedule.

These college conferences sign 3-4 billion US dollar tv contracts... where does that money go??

It’s a f**king rort of the highest order...

Iafeta

Referee
They don't have to go to college though. If they think they're good to go and don't need an education, they can try to get into Europe. Or they can do a year or two of college to boost scouts awareness of them, and go to Europe. If they are cut after one year because they aren't delivering on promise, I'm not sure they were probably ever deserving of professional pay packets.

shiznit

Coach
They don't have to go to college though. If they think they're good to go and don't need an education, they can try to get into Europe. Or they can do a year or two of college to boost scouts awareness of them, and go to Europe. If they are cut after one year because they aren't delivering on promise, I'm not sure they were probably ever deserving of professional pay packets.
They have no choice... why should they have to play in Europe??

If they are good enough to play in the NBA out of HS than they should be allowed to go straight into the pros.

It’s all a big rort between the colleges, the networks and the NBA.

The colleges obviously want the money brought in by the sport.... the networks want the ratings... the NBA wants ready made superstars to come into the league...

Meanwhile you have kids who are good enough to play in the NBA who put their entire careers on the line playing for free.... so some ivy league dickhead can make money off them.

Too bad if you injure yourself seriously in college.... at least you have your ‘degree’.... unless they pull the scholarship... :rolling_eyes:

But hey.... you can always play in Europe.... and expose yourself to a rugged style of ball.. :rolling_eyes:

The right thing to do is to just lower the NBA’s age restriction.

Let the kids and the family decide.

T-Boon

Coach

You can add the fans as well because they support the heck out of it. Oh and the high school players who fall over themselves with huddle films and attending camps to get notice.
There is the occasional Simmons, Fournette, Clowney who would be a lock for the big contracts they come out of college with. But for the most part they get paid massively out of college because they have big profiles and a couple years worth of development.
If they were getting drafted out of high school their profile in high school would get bigger, TV would cover the hell out of it and suddenly the High schools would be making massive money.

Iafeta

Referee
They have no choice... why should they have to play in Europe??

If they are good enough to play in the NBA out of HS than they should be allowed to go straight into the pros.

The colleges obviously want the money brought in by the sport.... the networks want the ratings... the NBA wants ready made superstars to come into the league...

Meanwhile you have kids who are good enough to play in the NBA who put their entire careers on the line playing for free.... so some ivy league dickhead can make money off them.

Too bad if you injure yourself seriously in college.... at least you have your ‘degree’.... unless they pull the scholarship... :rolling_eyes:

But hey.... you can always play in Europe.... and expose yourself to a rugged style of ball.. :rolling_eyes:

The right thing to do is to just lower the NBA’s age restriction.

Let the kids and the family decide.

I agree, players should be insured against injury.

But what I'm saying is college basketball doesn't stop a player from making money. If money is the aim they can try to get into other leagues.

The only alteration I think should happen aside from insurance is that scholarships are for the full term of their degrees. So you can make a ton of cash if you make it to the NBA, and if you don't you can get a good job.

Aragorn

First Grade
I agree with Shiz on this.

Its a f**king joke the college system.

Everyone makes $$$ off them yet they’re not allowed to earn a cent?

No sponsorhip, no salary nothing.

The coaches, recruitment agents, university, tv channel, merchanise sales all laughing their way to the bank yet the source of that revenue gets a “prestigious” scholarship? FMD.

edabomb

First Grade
How do the Thunder beat the Mavs with Westbrook and George as their only live bodies? The officials give them 27 free throws to the Mavs 10 after 3 quarters.

Of course if the game makes it to garbage time the Mavs will get an extra 10 attempts in the final few minutes.

Last edited:

Aragorn

First Grade
How do the Thunder beat the Mavs with Westbrook and George as their only live bodies? The officials give them 27 free throws to the Mavs 10 after 3 quarters.

Of course if the game makes it to garbage time the Mavs will get an extra 10 attempts in the final few minutes.

Simple.

Mavs are tanking.

T-Boon

Coach
I
The coaches, recruitment agents, university, tv channel, merchanise sales all laughing their way to the bank yet the source of that revenue gets a “prestigious” scholarship? FMD.

The source of the revenue is the fans and the tradition of the schools.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
had a three legger on, wizards -11.5, knicks +4.5 and bucks -4.

safe to say i sweated a bit on the last two, esp the knicks game oh lord.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Wolves going great this season so far - Wiggins and Towns solid, Buckets and Teague great additions - Couple of nice wins and sitting among the top in the West... Good time to be a TWolves fan

edabomb

First Grade
It's so hilarious that Doc Rivers was allowed to blow up a $2 billion franchise just to make his son an NBA starter.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Timberwolves showing tonight we still have a fair way to go - Had a good run coming into the 4th, but looked lethargic and slow from there on out - Wiggins was being used as a go to, with Teague and KAT practically going MIA - Buckets had a good night shooting the ball but again, wasn't used much in the 4th.

Takeaways:
1. Turnovers killed us (20 for the game)
2. Missed free-throws (12-18) could've made the difference
3. Teague needs to create more - Too many times he was dribbling in circles looking almost scared to push a pass

Latest posts