What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson "Yous got your way"

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Shaun Johnson immediately after the match appeared far less composed than Adam Blair. It seemed as he was suffering just a touch of shock at NZ's surprise loss to Fiji.

After showering and getting suited, he then faced the press and delivered one heck of a public relations gaffe. He made the claim that the fans and media who doubted the Kiwis, "yous got your way".

I like Shaun Johnson's running talent. All rugby league fans do. Whether they think he's capable of being an organizing half or not. Its impossible to not acknowledge and enjoy his talent. I loved him carving up Australia in 2014/15. I loved his torpedo bombs that caused them problems. The jinking jiving side steps that opened up a defensive line.

Despite the talents of Shaun Johnson, RTS, and the sheer mass of Nelson, I had my doubts of this Kiwis team having a good chance to beat Australia and win the Cup like the '08 side did. It was more than just missing out on Jason Taumalolo. I doubted the coach, David Kidwell, was the man the to engineer and oversee a winning plan implemented. But I am not the only one here. I have read the comments of Kiwis fans for over the past year. Many people doubt Kidwell is a good coach. It is that simple.

But Shaun Johnson, you're seriously deluded at present, or been gift wrapped in media 'cotton wool' instead of scrutiny for far too long to have gotten to this point. Easily one of the highest paid NZ sportspeople with the least success behind the salary. This salary is ultimately a result of fans Shaun. And now you confirm that you're just not in touch with the doubters, the Kiwi's fans, who have been doubting the form of Kiwis in head to head contests with Australia in recent times, who drew with Scotland last year, got our way. Our way was not losing to Tonga. I predicted that was likely, but it irked me as a Kiwis fan who would rather have seen Tonga beat England or Australia. Our way was certainly not losing to Fiji.

No Shaun, we didn't get our way. Our way still would have been a surprise against the odds World Cup victory.

And now is not the time to alienate the fans Shaun. We don't need to understand the minds of millionaire footballers to doubt the teams performances, but despite the comforts of high Kiwi salaries (most Kiwi players pocketing around $50,000 for the World Cup), and playing at home (even if Tonga had a quasi home game in terms of crowd support), two teams playing for $30 a day just bundled you out two weeks in a row. Your endorsement value just plummeted Shaun. The Kiwis team as a supposed tier 1 nation, has been embarrassed two weeks in a row by supposed tier 2 nations. No cup. No glory. And further than that, Kiwi Rugby League pride has been dented.

You didn't get your way. We didn't get ours.

So what are you, the Kiwis, and the NZRL going to do about it? 'Cos the Kiwi's terrible performances of late isn't an issue that can be remedied by the fans, the media, or anyone else.

Or should the fans and the media just not bother with the Kiwis anymore?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ointed-not-to-put-nonbelievers-in-their-place

50k salary source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11937220

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11847342

I hope the Warriors get more for than one million plus dollars a year than the Kiwis got. I hope there are less insults at fans in the face of unexpected losses.

I hope none of the Warriors fans doubt whether Shaun Johnson is worth the money neither, or he may just deliver your way. Perhaps he should have been granted a 10 year deal like Taumalolo or DCE a few years ago so as to play without fear of getting injured and to run at the defensive line more often than worry about career preservation from injury.

Seriously, the guy is comfortably out earning Kieran Read and Kane Williamson, and he thinks the fans and media don't want to see him succeed and lead teams to victory?

What more can we give these guys so that they perform at a competitive level? At least Tonga has a star studded forward pack, Fiji is a team of wingers.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Jesus, that is terrible

Have the media in the past said to Shaun after he hasn't put in for yet another coach, "you got your way" ?

JJ

Immortal
I'm just over them, the bullshit him and Blair are spouting is beyond belief - obviously it's not fun being under pressure - but "you got your way" and "we couldn't have done any more" is laughable - Shaun, play better champ... this was a hodge-podge of first graders and lower, and the Kiwis were flattered by the scoreboard

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Seriously fellas, 2 weeks ago I was stoked with our style of play and the attitudes on show, they had me on board after being a bit off the Kiwis and their style of play for a few years. Even post loss to Tonga, I was still feeling that way

The performance last night was concerning, but the interviews afterwards and this comment will have a lot of people abandoning ship, and the goodwill I had towards them has been eroded

I can't stand Adam Blair, but I was even praising him up last week, gone again after last night

Bleak times for NZ Rugby League. Warriors haven't done anything to get excited about for next season and the Kiwis are in free fall based on where we are last night

What do we do ? I don't know tbh, but flying to Sydney and asking Hasler to name his price might be a start

ANTiLAG

First Grade
The performance last night was concerning, but the interviews afterwards and this comment will have a lot of people abandoning ship, and the goodwill I had towards them has been eroded

True.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11847342

I hope the Warriors get more for than one million plus dollars a year than the Kiwis got. I hope there are less insults at fans in the face of unexpected losses.

I hope none of the Warriors fans doubt whether Shaun Johnson is worth the money neither, or he may just deliver your way. Perhaps he should have been granted a 10 year deal like Taumalolo or DCE a few years ago so as to play without fear of getting injured and to run at the defensive line more often than worry about career preservation from injury.

Seriously, the guy is comfortably out earning Kieran Read and Kane Williamson, and he thinks the fans and media don't want to see him succeed and lead teams to victory?

What more can we give these guys so that they perform at a competitive level? At least Tonga has a star studded forward pack, Fiji is a team of wingers.

We didn't show up since that second half against Tonga.

But I was enjoying the style against Samoa and Scotland, supporting the ball carrier and expecting an offload.

Who's fault is it?
If you know someone is not capable of carrying the team but you put him in charge anyway and take away the one player Nikorima that showed he could take pressure off SJ, make that near exact statement before the Tonga game.
Then panic because he has 1 bad defensive game, swap him out for Martin who never kicks ONCE.

The whole game plan is Kidwell.
The selection is Kidwell and co.

So we need to let SJ know we don't expect him to run/organise a team as you are not capable.
Not sure he can learn it under the coaches he has.

SJ on suicide watch?

JJ

Immortal
Sure but bottom line is he's adamant he can and McFadden to his credit tried to change it but Johnson seemed to sulk

Even if the plan is Kidwell's (and he obviously has to go, as does Kearney but that's another story) I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more from Johnson than that tripe, and then the petulant interview

I think SJ is embarrassed about the loss and his comments reflect that. Ask him a week later and his answer will be different as he has time to reflect. Ask him 30 minutes after full time then u get a frustrated and embarrassed SJ

JJ

Immortal
I think SJ is embarrassed about the loss and his comments reflect that. Ask him a week later and his answer will be different as he has time to reflect. Ask him 30 minutes after full time then u get a frustrated and embarrassed SJ
Sure - there's a pattern though, he was arguing that they couldn't do any more - well surely playing with a level of competence would be a start

I might be living in the past but I also hark back to when Fittler said "he needs to get his jersey dirty" and we got the same haughty petulant nonsense - Fittler is an all time great, and he made a simple constructive suggestion

Last edited:
Sure - there's a pattern though, he was arguing that they couldn't do any more - wee surely playing with a level of competence would be a start

I might be living in the past but I also hark back to when Fittler said "he needs to get his jersey dirty" and we got the same haughty petulant nonsense - Fittler is an all time great, and he made a simple constructive suggestion
He sure didn't need it washed last night.
SJ needs some tough love or shown the door. Problem is as you said he will sulk unless it's a top shelf coach.
Most have had enough of his shit, he is losing supporters fast.
To much smoke blown up his ass way to early.

Will they even watch the game back?
Are they that professional of an outfit?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
He sure didn't need it washed last night.
SJ needs some tough love or shown the door. Problem is as you said he will sulk unless it's a top shelf coach.
Most have had enough of his shit, he is losing supporters fast.
To much smoke blown up his ass way to early.

I don't think SJ's talent is in issue. He could work on his clearing kicks more. But it is how often he wants to take the line on that is. Benji had the same issue. They have (or peak Benji had) line breaks in them if they keep trying to find and create a line break. Playing with pristine uniforms isn't the Stirling, Langer, Daley, Johns, Fitler, Morgan or even Maloney way. Heck, even Pearce gets his Roosters jumper dirty.

Look I'd rather see SJ overplay his hand every game, like JT arguably has been in recent years since Morgan's rise for the Cows, than just underplay and out ball pass or go missing. He's a touch superstar with plenty of time to spend in the gym. He's not going to fall apart if he gets tackled a few times, heck the hits are prolly worse when he kicks the ball and gets hit late.

No tackler will nail SJ every time. No defense will shut him and his ball play down every time. He's that good.

SJ has the natural ability to beat and create. Its the number of attempts that's in issue for me.

SJ looks far more talented than Freeman, but Freeman tried , tried and tried again. And then tried some more.

I prolly wouldn't want to run at defenders like Taumalolo or even Simms by choice again and again, but for over a million dollars a year and the glory of sport with SJ's talent and physical attributes - sign me up for the contest.

He's spent all that time in the gym to look like Tarzan, stop playing like Jane when its not one way traffic, Shaun. Compete.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
Look, bottom line SJ is who he is.
He thinks from the time of his golden boot win that he is the supreme player and he has nothing left to prove. From that time he stopped growing.
He is a poster boy, not a leader. He is not competitive. He is not an organiser.
If the Warriors don't realise this it's their fault, not his.
He has been the same from the time he came into grade football.
He is not going to change now.
A lot of people think he will be better behind a better pack. Sure, he will have more space to work but he still won't take the opposition on. He doesn't have that in him. Kevin Locke he isn't.

Mighty Ape Man

Juniors
I think this shows the problem with our modern players, they simply should have no access to social media during the tournament. Why the hell is Shaun going on about the fans getting what we want? What we want is our team winning and they weren't doing that!

Reading up on fans comments should be the last thing the players are worried about. This only shows the total lack of confidence from our players and this does not bode well for the warriors next year if Shaun's focus is what every Tom, Dick & Harry thinks. Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. Focus on your game Shaun, there will always be negative opinions. The best way to get rid of them is by performing on the field. Turn off your f**king phone and train the house down...

Warriorsoul

Juniors
I do think he was humiliated and lashed out. I can kind of understand that. I also kind of hoped he'd grown up a bit. Obviously not.

Can you imagine SJs talent with Freemans mongrel? He'd be a weapon.

JJ

Immortal
I do think he was humiliated and lashed out. I can kind of understand that. I also kind of hoped he'd grown up a bit. Obviously not.

Can you imagine SJs talent with Freemans mongrel? He'd be a weapon.
You'd have thought he'd have considered the Fittler response and learned, but clearly Shaun is always right

Given the similarly insane responses from Blair and Kidwell's the maturity and leadership void is huge.

AJB1102

First Grade
Seems a strange response from SJ. Did the Kiwis have some manufactured siege mentality to go out and prove wrong all their fans who want them to lose? Seems odd. So does Kidwell. Hmmm...

Latest posts