What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
If he helps you win a title in next 3yrs id take that as a win. You have enough young guys to build a club around. 2/4 of your spine could be sorted for 10yrs
Maloney is a good fit when a club fills a few holes at once and gets a small window at a premiership. We've done the opposite. We've lost 5 players and only added him. We need our 3 biggest earners to be our 3 best players if we are to be any chance at the top 4. None of them were that good in 2017.

Especially our former rep forwards. We're paying Tamou and Merrin as rep forwards. They need to perform like them. If they continue to play average footy than Maloney hasn't got much chance in hell at doing any better. He has played behind ferocious packs that are fast and tough. RCG can't do it all on his own. He's good, but he's not that good.

pantherpuddy

Juniors
I think people on here under estimate the complex nature of being in charge of a salary cap in one of the most competitive competitions in the world. No back to back winners in the nrl confirms how hard it is to manage successfully. A clubs salary cap is never complete its always evolving and needs to be modified and flexible which is why we always see players released early these days. Are we the worst club when it comes to running our cap, no way. Lets see how the sharks go now without Lyall Gorman and what he can do with manly. He seems to be someone who can really get a club in top shape off the field. If Gus cant get us to be top 4 in the next few seasons then i would be chasing Gorman hard.
If Moylan didnt go off the rails this season then I really believe we would have gone past the broncos in the finals and who knows what could have been possible. I realise that Gus divides peoples opinion, always has, always will. He is highly passionate about rugby league so i doubt that he isnt doing his absolute best for our club. Its easy to judge on here and criticise but go through all the other clubs and u will see similiar issues. Rugby League is a cut throat business these days and full of bad decisions when it comes to contracts. I also believe we shouldnt believe the figures thrown around in the media about how much a player is being paid. Its guess work at best !

Bob

Juniors
Yeah its hard to find a sole DVD on the 03 GF.
I taped the whole game on VHS.

The Penrith Panthers 50th anniversary DVD edition has both GF's on it along with other games.

The club has it but right now Sanity is cheaper. Depends how much you spend though.

http://www.sanity.com.au/products/2313827/Nrl_Pen_Panthers_50th_Ann_Coll

http://store.penrithpanthers.com.au.../penrith-panthers-50th-anniversary-collection
i have it, bought it from blockbuster Glenmore Park a couple of days after the grand final and who should walk in when I’m at the counter
None other than Craig Gower who signed a copy for me

mxlegend99

Referee
I think people on here under estimate the complex nature of being in charge of a salary cap in one of the most competitive competitions in the world. No back to back winners in the nrl confirms how hard it is to manage successfully. A clubs salary cap is never complete its always evolving and needs to be modified and flexible which is why we always see players released early these days. Are we the worst club when it comes to running our cap, no way. Lets see how the sharks go now without Lyall Gorman and what he can do with manly. He seems to be someone who can really get a club in top shape off the field. If Gus cant get us to be top 4 in the next few seasons then i would be chasing Gorman hard.
If Moylan didnt go off the rails this season then I really believe we would have gone past the broncos in the finals and who knows what could have been possible. I realise that Gus divides peoples opinion, always has, always will. He is highly passionate about rugby league so i doubt that he isnt doing his absolute best for our club. Its easy to judge on here and criticise but go through all the other clubs and u will see similiar issues. Rugby League is a cut throat business these days and full of bad decisions when it comes to contracts. I also believe we shouldnt believe the figures thrown around in the media about how much a player is being paid. Its guess work at best !
It's not guesswork to see that to fit in Maloney we had to lose Latu aswell as Moylan. The media was all over all of this well in advance of Gus apparently

Players might stay at a club for less. But take away loyalty and money is going to win out. For the record i dont blame any player going for a bigger contract. Although they should atleast honour the contracts they signed before chasing the money. Having a sook because your market value changed 12 months later is bullshit. They will happily collect that cash for a few years after they turn to shit and aren't worth half that amount.

We're paying Merrin, Tamou and soon Maloney rep money. We dont get a discount if they drop in form and lose their spots. Which Maloney is the only one likely to be a rep chance in 2018. Regardless of form.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
A couple of positives that haven't been talked about enough:

- Maloney's short kicking game will greatly minimise the amount of times Cleary will be tackled on the last. It will also get us more repeat sets and force defences to jam in much less.
- Many players, crucial ones at that, were hindered by off field drama and/or niggling injuries they had to play through. Going through injuries alone, Yeo's ankle was stuffed, CHN's shoulder was gone and Wallace finished the season with a busted hand that he only missed one game because of, and that's not all of them. They will be much better in 2018.

Chill out lads, we'll be fine.

pantherpuddy

Juniors
It's not guesswork to see that to fit in Maloney we had to lose Latu aswell as Moylan. The media was all over all of this well in advance of Gus apparently

Players might stay at a club for less. But take away loyalty and money is going to win out. For the record i dont blame any player going for a bigger contract. Although they should atleast honour the contracts they signed before chasing the money. Having a sook because your market value changed 12 months later is bullshit. They will happily collect that cash for a few years after they turn to shit and aren't worth half that amount.

We're paying Merrin, Tamou and soon Maloney rep money. We dont get a discount if they drop in form and lose their spots. Which Maloney is the only one likely to be a rep chance in 2018. Regardless of form.

The third party stuff up with Maloney cost us Latu no doubt about it. We will need help with third party deals to keep Cleary long term so maybe it will be a blessing in disguise for us in the future. Its hard to know how much game time Latu would have had this season. I really like Latu and I really like Moylan but rugby league is a crazy old world and the show rolls on

Port Panther

Juniors
I got my 03 copy from a shop in the plaza at exactly the same time as Luke Rooney was getting his and he was only to happy to sign mine .

TheFrog

Coach
If Moylan didnt go off the rails this season then I really believe we would have gone past the broncos in the finals and who knows what could have been possible.
Yes I agree with you that if we'd had Moylan at his best we'd have won that final. That would have been it though. No-one was beating the Storm.

forby

Juniors
Hurry up season! All this is getting boring. Can everybody please keep the name calling, foul language and profanity out of their posts, it is not what the forum is supposed to be.
It is supposed to be for the discussion of and the exchange of opinions of rugby league, the Panthers in particular!
I would like to think that we are all intelligent, thoughtful supporters, and not the rabble that support other clubs!

panther.mike

Juniors
I seem to remember that we had no trouble getting to the opponents 20 we just had trouble from there on so I'm hoping Maloney helps us over the line,

soc123_au

Staff member
Gus seems to have a talent for dragging clubs out of the shit. But I'm starting to wonder if he has passed his use by date. Some of the decisions since the end of 2015 have been bizarre. Prior to that pretty much every call was on the mark even if it hurt at the time (Lewis & Jennings in particular)

I hope he gets his mojo back, but I'm not holding my breath. Still it could be worse. Gus/Hoook > Leary/Elliott.

I think this is the longest or close to it that Gus has ever been at a club, be that as a coach, player or administrator. Think there might be something in that.

It’s definitely the longest single position he’s held at any club.

Last edited:
Third party agreements are hard to police and easy to rort, writes Paul Kent
PAUL KENT, The Daily Telegraph
December 1, 2017 10:24pm
Subscriber only
JAMES Maloney spoke with the blunt candour he is famous for but, with each syllable, the dollars fell away.

This was some weeks back. Matt Moylan had signed with Cronulla and everybody was waiting for Maloney to confirm his trade to Penrith. Maloney turned up to speak as his part of the Australian camp.

Asked why the holdup on announcing he was going to Penrith, he took a machete to the deal.

“I think they’re just trying to pass a third party or something. The contract’s not quite sorted yet, so when it is I can sign on that line,” Maloney said.

The money fell at his feet like dry leaves. Maloney was waiting for the $200,000 Keno sponsorship to switch from Moylan to him.

Maloney is an ambassador and spokesman for the rights of the Rugby League Players Association and so clearly knows the entitlements of players. He might need a little brushing up on what they’re not entitled to, though.

INJURY: Cordner’s career on a knife-edge

BUZZ: Pearce to Knights on $4m deal

12edd9dee1e9863f72fcda0a36475bec

James Maloney's honesty exposes what's wrong with TPA's
Clubs are not allowed to organise third party sponsorships, as Maloney was waiting on Penrith to do.

This is exactly what is wrong with third party deals. Small bells chimed inside NRL headquarters as it seemed there was indirect proof that some third party deals are club driven, over and above the salary cap, rather than player driven. If Keno was truly interested in Moylan, not the Panthers, why didn’t the sponsorship follow him to Cronulla instead of staying at Penrith?

Third parties have become such a river of gold that clubs are now guiding prospective sponsors towards sponsoring players instead of clubs.

Maloney got caught obeying that old notion that goes something like if everybody is on the secret then it is really no secret at all, and so he spoke openly and too honestly.

Penrith has yet to lodge the contract but a resolution of sorts was reached last week when the Panthers privately told the NRL it won’t proceed with the sponsorship when the contract is lodged.

Yet no word of an investigation into the Moylan-Keno deal.

To create room in the cap for Maloney, Penrith released Leilani Latu on Thursday. “He has been tremendous for our club and his release from Panthers is purely a salary cap management decision,” football boss Phil Gould said.

Maloney’s honesty is the great truth in the NRL, though. Third party sponsorships are difficult to police and easy to rort. They were originally brought in because clubs argued that legitimate sponsors and therefore legitimate money was being kept away from the game because of the code’s laws against personal sponsors.

The argument grew when the NRL knocked back St George Bank’s approach to personally sponsor Trent Barrett. The bank was the Dragons major sponsor at the time.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg remains satisfied with their value. He argues with some merit that he does not want to prevent players earning money outside the game.

A lot has changed since the bank went after Barrett. The salary cap is almost triple. The money players command in third parties is a fraction of what they earn in contract money.

The money is big enough to be worth the risk but not big enough to make a difference. So, are the third parties worth the ills they create?

They destroy any notion the salary cap levels the competition. Some clubs have many more third party deals than others, making the cap redundant.

They encourage cheating, a public disaster that costs the game millions when teams are caught.

In August the last brief on 11 player managers alleged to have helped Parramatta cheat the salary cap was lodged at NRL headquarters. Evidence on one manager runs to more than 900 pages. Thousands of pages of evidence have been accumulated against all 11. Emails and text messages and deals.
The briefs have sat in at NRL headquarters. It is not the NRL’s job to prosecute. That’s for the Rugby League Accredited Player Agent Scheme but it was waiting for financial protection from the NRL.

When Melbourne got busted in 2010, two of the three managers took it to court and it ran to more than $400,000 before the managers finally lost and had to pay costs. The committee has no financial protection so asked the ARL Commission to indemnify them against possible legal action before pursuing action.

This goes to the heart of the game’s problems; as the salary cap seeks to level the spending, the third party payments bend them out of shape again.

Yet for months the briefs against managers have sat in at NRL headquarters, making many wonder why.

Some time ago a whisper went around that several managers who should not even bother turning up to defend themselves, such is the weight of evidence against them, are preparing to fight dirty.

If they get called in to tell their secrets of what happened at Parramatta, they will tell all their secrets.

Others clubs, other officials … all the secrets. Plenty got nervous.

Such an investigation, thorough and proper, might have the effect of a royal commission. A cleansing, an opportunity to begin again. But who is game to go down the rabbit hole?

Ten days ago the ARL Commission discussed indemnifying the committee. It would be easy to deny the agents scheme their indemnity to prevent potential heartache.

They decided the evidence was strong enough to support sanctions against several managers and action will proceed.

And so we wait.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/f989d13f5015a8e3f19073b762923163

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts