What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 team

Allstar Knights

Juniors
1. Ponga
2. SKD
3. Sione
4. Moga
5. Ross
6. Watson (with Lamb as plan b)
7. Pearce
8. Daifiti
9. Levi
10. Lillyman
11. Buhrer
12. Guerra
13. Barnett

14. Griffin
15. Ese'ese
16. Jaifiti
17. Heighington

Gags should be feeling a little silly at this point I think. Even if he signed for our offer, we'd still have money in the bank. That team is really starting to look solid, with a fair bit of depth in a few positions. We can even afford an injury (maybe even 2) in the spine without completely writing off the season - even if we get rid of Hodko. Touch wood of course. If we can't find anymore recruits from outside then we're still banking on some youth stepping up for depth - particularly in the outside backs.

To have blokes that have already been blooded and show promise like Stone, Fitzgibbon, King ready to step up in the pack for injuries is quite the luxury. Then there's other blokes like Phythian and Amey who I would like to see a bit more of, too. Brown and Mooney have done a stellar job... any doubt I had about the job they were doing during the year has been totally dissolved.

I've actually got some confidence now that there might even be one or two more presents to come given the cap space we still have. Pearce was a huge get, players will take notice. In another 24 months we could be sitting around wondering how the hell our team is under the cap.
I picked pretty much the same side as yours and posted it on The Mighty Knights FB page.

Heaps of people saying I'm crazy and that Fitz will be there. While I can't dispute that he would be in our best 17 if he plays like he did at the back end of the year, I just see it as a no brainer that Brown opts for a 2x premership winner and English International in Heighington first over a guy who played 5 or so games of brilliant footy . I can't see J Saifiti and Lillyman not making the side either.

I actually think it could be good for Fitz to miss Round 1. Healthy competition and he can still force his way in if he plays to that ability again.

perverse

Referee
It's a shame the Nines aren't on next year, we'd give that a real shake with our best lineup. Watson and Ponga in the same team almost seems unfair in that format.

perverse

Referee
I picked pretty much the same side as yours and posted it on The Mighty Knights FB page.

Heaps of people saying I'm crazy and that Fitz will be there. While I can't dispute that he would be in our best 17 if he plays like he did at the back end of the year, I just see it as a no brainer that Brown opts for a 2x premership winner and English International in Heighington first over a guy who played 5 or so games of brilliant footy . I can't see J Saifiti and Lillyman not making the side either.

I actually think it could be good for Fitz to miss Round 1. Healthy competition and he can still force his way in if he plays to that ability again.
To say Fitz has a mortgage on a jersey would be laughable for mine. He'll get plenty of chances through injury and whatnot, but yes you would think a player of Heighnos experience would be valuable to us, particularly early on.

I hope the Saifitis both take it up another level next season. I feel like they both still have more to give. If we can get them to reach their potential then we will be absolutely laughing.

Johns Magic

Referee
1. Ponga
2. SKD
3. Sione
4. Moga
5. Ross
6. Watson (with Lamb as plan b)
7. Pearce
8. Daifiti
9. Levi
10. Lillyman
11. Buhrer
12. Guerra
13. Barnett

14. Griffin
15. Ese'ese
16. Jaifiti
17. Heighington

Gags should be feeling a little silly at this point I think. Even if he signed for our offer, we'd still have money in the bank. That team is really starting to look solid, with a fair bit of depth in a few positions. We can even afford an injury (maybe even 2) in the spine without completely writing off the season - even if we get rid of Hodko. Touch wood of course. If we can't find anymore recruits from outside then we're still banking on some youth stepping up for depth - particularly in the outside backs.

To have blokes that have already been blooded and show promise like Stone, Fitzgibbon, King ready to step up in the pack for injuries is quite the luxury. Then there's other blokes like Phythian and Amey who I would like to see a bit more of, too. Brown and Mooney have done a stellar job... any doubt I had about the job they were doing during the year has been totally dissolved.

I've actually got some confidence now that there might even be one or two more presents to come given the cap space we still have. Pearce was a huge get, players will take notice. In another 24 months we could be sitting around wondering how the hell our team is under the cap.

Exact same team that I have except I think you'll find Ese'ese will start. He was quoted saying that was a big drawcard for him in signing here.

Really hoping we sign a centre soon, but there aren't many targets that fit the bill and are realistic.

I am glad patience paid off with the recruitment. Lightyears away from the sentiment mid-way through the year.

Old dog

Juniors
Think that side is close to best we can have unless we get a top signing or two.
Only change might be if Brownie goes with Buhrer as relief for Levi then Griffin out for Fitzy, a bigger body.

Yosh

Coach
Was gonna say the only thing I would want to change is to see Sione moved to the bench or backrow and see a good/great centre come into the side. Still 3 months till March?

Johns Magic

Referee
8f0ef4644f68ce4423dba5d21df79ac1

perverse

Referee
Hopefully our big 3 over the coming years. I'm getting pretty hyped for the season, I can't remember the last time I was this keen for round 1. Wayne's first year, I guess.

Frederick

Staff member
Hopefully our big 3 over the coming years. I'm getting pretty hyped for the season, I can't remember the last time I was this keen for round 1. Wayne's first year, I guess.
Yep, same for me. I remember having such high expectations coming into that first game against the dragons but leaving so frustrated

Glendale

Juniors
Based on if we were to sign no more players from now till round 1:

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Nathan Ross
3. Shaun Kenny-Dowall (would prefer him on the wing)
4. Tautau Moga
5. Ken Sio
6. Connor Watson
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Danny Levi
10. Jacob Lillyman
11. Sione Mata'utia (c)
12. Aiden Guerra
13. Mitch Barnett

14. Jamie Buhrer (c)
15. Herman Ese'ese
16. Jacob Saifiti
17. Lachlan Fitzgibbon

Reserve Grade/depth:
1. Nick Meaney, 2. Tom Hughes, 3. Brent Naden, 4. Cory Denniss, 5. ?, 6. Brock Lamb, 7. Jack Cogger, 8. Josh King, 9. Slade Griffin, 10. Chris Heighington, 11. Sam Stone, 12. Brodie Jones, 13. Luke Yates, 14. Dylan Pythian, 15. Tyrone Amey, 16. Pasami Saulo, 17. Pat Mata'utia

Joel-22

Juniors
Rd 1.

1.Kalyn Ponga
2.Nathan Ross
3.Sione Mata'utia
4.Shaun Kenny Dowell
5.Ken Sio
6.Connor Watson
7.Mitchell Pearce
8.Jacob Lillyman
9.Danny Levi
10.Herman Ese'ese
11.Jamie Buhrer
12.Aiden Guerra
13.Chris Heighington

14.Slade Griffin
15.Daniel Saifiti
16.Jacob Saifiti
17.Mitch Barnett

Rd 10.

1.Kalyn Ponga
2.Nathan Ross
3.Connor Watson
4.Tautau Moga
5.Shaun Kenny Dowell
6.Brock Lamb
7.Mitchell Pearce
8.Daniel Saifiti
9.Danny Levi
10.Herman Ese'ese
11.Sione Mata'utia
12.Aiden Guerra
13.Mitch Barnett

14.Jamie Buhrer
15.Jacob Saifiti
16.Jacob Lillyman
17.Lachlan Fitzgibbon

- Moga will struggle to be fit for rd 1.
- Daifiti has been a slow starter in previous years
- Brown will reward hard trainers with FG spots in round 1 (Heighington, Griffin, Buhrer, Lillyman etc)
- Ese'ese and Watson will have starting spots at least for the first 6 games
- Someone will get injured/suspended/picked in rep footy (Pearce) and Lamb will come back into the starting side and will grab the opportunity with both hands and will be left at 5/8

Tom155

Coach
Based on if we were to sign no more players from now till round 1:

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Nathan Ross
3. Shaun Kenny-Dowall (would prefer him on the wing)
4. Tautau Moga
5. Ken Sio
6. Connor Watson
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Daniel Saifiti
9. Danny Levi
10. Jacob Lillyman
11. Sione Mata'utia (c)
12. Aiden Guerra
13. Mitch Barnett

14. Jamie Buhrer (c)
15. Herman Ese'ese
16. Jacob Saifiti
17. Lachlan Fitzgibbon

Reserve Grade/depth:
1. Nick Meaney, 2. Tom Hughes, 3. Brent Naden, 4. Cory Denniss, 5. ?, 6. Brock Lamb, 7. Jack Cogger, 8. Josh King, 9. Slade Griffin, 10. Chris Heighington, 11. Sam Stone, 12. Brodie Jones, 13. Luke Yates, 14. Dylan Pythian, 15. Tyrone Amey, 16. Pasami Saulo, 17. Pat Mata'utia
I think you are almost spot on but Herman will start over Lillyman imo

perverse

Referee
The only reason I think Ese'ese makes more sense from the bench is that he can provide legitimate impact when he comes on. I worry about a drop in intensity if we play Lillyman from the bench.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I think Ese'ese will start with Lilllyman. From memory Ese'ese was told he would be given a crack at a starting position if he joined the Knights and I could imagine Brownie will want an experienced prop to start and on the field with the younger guys at every given opportunity.

perverse

Referee
I don't mean to underrate Lillyman, I am a fan, I just don't know if he's as explosive as someone like Ese'ese. So good to be having conversations like this about legitimate first graders.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah the two Saifiti's off th bench together could be a real weapon for us, they seem to lift when on the park together.

perverse

Referee
I'd hate to waste Dans engine on a bench spot, but it may come to that for the balance of the team, yeah. Great "problem" to have.