What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly Salary Cap breaches . . .

JDHD

Juniors
On the subject of houses for players, my memory stretches back to 1958 when Johnny Raper was poached from Newtown by St George in the days of the residential rule. I think Raper sat out most of the 1958 season as he was still officially contracted to the Bluebags. The Dragons set up Johnny in a house in the St George area and the rest is history.

Yeah well those were the days when the Dragons were sending out teams of professional players against 19 year old trade apprentices and calling them premierships. They were great days for us, though!

Dragsters

First Grade
Im sure I heard on the news that it was ex manly players that tipped off the NRL.

Recently retired/left include, Watmough, the Stewart's, Myles etc.

The mind boggles...

Drag Queen

Bench
Perhaps.

Brett did officially finish up at the end of the season i believe, though he hasn't played for them for some time...
I would put my money on Brett if it's an inside job tbh. Glenn has moved onto ESL but not doing great things over there either. It could also be a total outsider. Time will tell.

Gareth67

First Grade
I understand that it is not unknown for deveiopers who support certain clubs to reserve a unit for a player in a new complex and charge a nominal rental. After a period the title is transferred to the player. I don't know how this sits with salary cap rules but I suspect the Taxation Dept. might be interested (capital gains, etc).

merahputih , that would not surprise me . In fact nothing surprises me anymore , as far as the lengths that some clubs will go to secure a players signature .

But perhaps we are missing a very important point here . It is not only the clubs who are involved in this skulduggery , but also the player's managers and the player themselves .

That being the case , each of the parties involved in this deception should be brought to justice . Can you imagine the cry of innocence from the players " I had no idea what was happening , I leave all financial matters ( including units , homes , cars , speedboats and vespars ) to my manager " .

Haul the whole bluudy lot of them over the burning coals and them kick them out of the game !

Drag Queen

Bench
merahputih , that would not surprise me . In fact nothing surprises me anymore , as far as the lengths that some clubs will go to secure a players signature .

But perhaps we are missing a very important point here . It is not only the clubs who are involved in this skulduggery , but also the player's managers and the player themselves .

That being the case , each of the parties involved in this deception should be brought to justice . Can you imagine the cry of innocence from the players " I had no idea what was happening , I leave all financial matters ( including units , homes , cars , speedboats and vespars ) to my manager " .

Haul the whole bluudy lot of them over the burning coals and them kick them out of the game !
In all seriousness most footy players wouldn't have a clue. Fair call or not?

Gareth67

First Grade

Drag Queen, I agree with you to a point . As far as their IQ's are concerned yes , there are a lot of half wits running around in the game today . However when it comes to the dollar sign , they are fully aware of what they are receiving .

The most disappointing aspect of these deceptions over the last few years , is just how many big name players have been involved , not a good look for the so called ' Greatest game of All ' .

Drag Queen

Bench
Drag Queen, I agree with you to a point . As far as their IQ's are concerned yes , there are a lot of half wits running around in the game today . However when it comes to the dollar sign , they are fully aware of what they are receiving .

The most disappointing aspect of these deceptions over the last few years , is just how many big name players have been involved , not a good look for the so called ' Greatest game of All ' .
Not so sure about what they think they're going to receive tbh. Most are happy to get a contract given my limited experience. Then again you have players like Jack Bird who have overbearing parents ready to ridicule anything to get their son's way. Not too sure what is worse. Blowing smoke up someone's arse or letting it evolve.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Not
Hi ABC here is a boat you can take it home and never return it.
Hi XYZ here is car for your wife take it home and never return it.
They can't be that dumb that they still believe in santa, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny surely they must know that at least 2 of them aren't real.

Drag Queen

Bench
Not
Hi ABC here is a boat you can take it home and never return it.
Hi XYZ here is car for your wife take it home and never return it.
They can't be that dumb that they still believe in santa, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny surely they must know that at least 2 of them aren't real.
Some are that dumb OT.

JDHD

Juniors
Only when they start getting positive publicity JDHD.

Remember the Eels cap thing last year? Peats was named as one of the players who threatened not to play if he wasn't paid. Darius refused to get off the team bus until he was paid. Point is, they know when they aren't getting enough, but we're supposed to believe them when they say they don't know that they're over the cap?

Drag Queen

Bench
Remember the Eels cap thing last year? Peats was named as one of the players who threatened not to play if he wasn't paid. Darius refused to get off the team bus until he was paid. Point is, they know when they aren't getting enough, but we're supposed to believe them when they say they don't know that they're over the cap?
I thought Peats was one of the Eels asked to leave due to the Eel's cap failure. Anyway it's neither here nor there. What I said was probably an over sweep of many players (with poor managers) who have no business ideology, except to make $$ from their incumbents. Once you achieve star status the balance changes.

JDHD

Juniors
I thought Peats was one of the Eels asked to leave due to the Eel's cap failure. Anyway it's neither here nor there. What I said was probably an over sweep of many players (with poor managers) who have no business ideology, except to make $$ from their incumbents. Once you achieve star status the balance changes.

Yes but I think you have misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I'm not talking about players trying to inflate their contract values when they're on a form streak such as Cody Walker. I'm talking about players already on deals who threaten to walk out if they don't get paid what they agreed to a la Peats and Boyd.

Drag Queen

Bench
Yes but I think you have misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I'm not talking about players trying to inflate their contract values when they're on a form streak such as Cody Walker. I'm talking about players already on deals who threaten to walk out if they don't get paid what they agreed to a la Peats and Boyd.
Fair call.