What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clubs fear NRL can’t afford to expand

Perth Red

Post Whore
We could if the game was popular across the country. As it is we currently are drawing from a pool of 12million ish plus a smattering of interest in the other half of the country. Hence why the nrl needs to get serious about the game in the developing states.

alien

Referee
I know that. I grew up playing in the wests comp.
I still stand by my opinion thats Wests Tigers do not have the Liverpool Macarthur areas wrapped up in terms of fans.
They don't represent the area at all.

The bulldogs would probably have just as many fans in the areas, then Parra would be close.
yeah well that's the fault of wests tigers

the nrl showed how many members in each town and souths have the most in the area, followed by bulldogs, then wests tigers, then parra, and that goes in line with the amount of merchandise of each team that i see around the area

alien

Referee
Only way to counterbalance the player dilution issue is to ensure expansion happens at all levels. Better funded Jnr and elite systems and more development officers in every state and in Fiji, Samoa etc. give some of the ARL money to nzrl for development to increase the NZ pool. Better scouting and trial systems in PNG and the PI's. Concessions for signing from union etc. There is no need to worry about playing depth IF the NRL takes a whole systems approach to expansion.

maybe we will see tonga, fiji, samoa, cook islands join the qld cup or nsw cup

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
yeah well that's the fault of wests tigers

the nrl showed how many members in each town and souths have the most in the area, followed by bulldogs, then wests tigers, then parra, and that goes in line with the amount of merchandise of each team that i see around the area

I can see you out there with a clipboard in hand collating the data for Rusty.

Really, everything is the fault of the Wests Tigers.

That house that has a leaky roof? Tigers fault.

The Falklands war? Them again. The amco cup that the sharkies are missing? Guilty!

alien

Referee
I can see you out there with a clipboard in hand collating the data for Rusty.

Really, everything is the fault of the Wests Tigers.

That house that has a leaky roof? Tigers fault.

The Falklands war? Them again. The amco cup that the sharkies are missing? Guilty!

the nrl showed a map of the sydney metro area, and for every main town on the map they had a logo of the club who had the most members there. i also live in the campbelltown area and notice the merchandise that people wear and the merch on vehicles. i will say that between 2000 - 2006 wests tigers were the most supported club in the area. balmain being favoured in the joint venture from 2007 onwards (around the time when balmain's humphreys became ceo) with merchandise becoming balmainized with mostly black and orange crap (with no or very little white), and all fringe 1st graders going to the balmain nsw cup team (instead of half of them going to magpies nsw cup team) which made the balmain side stronger, and the magpies side weaker, pissed alot of people in this area off. for the first 6 years of the "joint venture" campbelltown were getting larger crowd averages than they get now (even before they won the grandfinal) and probably larger than what they were getting at the leichhardt dump. whilst balmain have had no votes on the board it is starting to even up again, but for many former supporters the damage has been done.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
the nrl showed a map of the sydney metro area, and for every main town on the map they had a logo of the club who had the most members there. i also live in the campbelltown area and notice the merchandise that people wear and the merch on vehicles. i will say that between 2000 - 2006 wests tigers were the most supported club in the area. balmain being favoured in the joint venture from 2007 onwards (around the time when balmain's humphreys became ceo) with merchandise becoming balmainized with mostly black and orange crap (with no or very little white), and all fringe 1st graders going to the balmain nsw cup team (instead of half of them going to magpies nsw cup team) which made the balmain side stronger, and the magpies side weaker, pissed alot of people in this area off. for the first 6 years of the "joint venture" campbelltown were getting larger crowd averages than they get now (even before they won the grandfinal) and probably larger than what they were getting at the leichhardt dump. whilst balmain have had no votes on the board it is starting to even up again, but for many former supporters the damage has been done.

Why all this concerns the people of Redfern such as yourself is a mystery.

Last edited:

alien

Referee
I just dont believe the people of the SW will ever take kindly to an innercity team paying lipservice to the area.

Between Panthers, Bulldogs and Eels i reckon most people in the SW will find someone to cheer for and will happily hate the rest.

and why should they??? maybe it shouldn't be an inner city team.

as if wests tigers are going to abandon the large juniors area of the outer south west of sydney, that is growing quickly in population. they would probably be the only club dumb enough to do that, but even then, i have my doubts. you talk about it like you think it's probably going to happen. i can tell you that the nrl have demanded wests tigers to make it work in the macarthur area, and to continue to play games at campbelltown stadium. i bet you didn't know that. as if the nrl would want wests tigers to be another inner city club, and with 3 nrl appointed independents on the wests tigers board now, they have alot of say

bobmar28

Bench
We could if the game was popular across the country. As it is we currently are drawing from a pool of 12million ish plus a smattering of interest in the other half of the country. Hence why the nrl needs to get serious about the game in the developing states.

60 percent of Australians live in NSW and QLD.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
and why should they??? maybe it shouldn't be an inner city team.

as if wests tigers are going to abandon the large juniors area of the outer south west of sydney,
that is growing quickly in population. they would probably be the only club dumb enough to do that, but even then, i have my doubts. you talk about it like you think it's probably going to happen. i can tell you that the nrl have demanded wests tigers to make it work in the macarthur area, and to continue to play games at campbelltown stadium. i bet you didn't know that. as if the nrl would want wests tigers to be another inner city club, and with 3 nrl appointed independents on the wests tigers board now, they have alot of say

Lets imagine for a moment the ARLC centralised junior development and instituted a draft that meant NRL clubs didnt need to hoard juniors. (which will probably happen soon)...

At that point, these territoy debates would no longer be about junior development and would become about fan-base connection. At that point, the SW would probably be better off with an actual West Sydney team like Penrith or Canterbury instead of an inner west team paying lip service....

alien

Referee
Lets imagine for a moment the ARLC centralised junior development and instituted a draft that meant NRL clubs didnt need to hoard juniors. (which will probably happen soon)...

At that point, these territoy debates would no longer be about junior development and would become about fan-base connection. At that point, the SW would probably be better off with an actual West Sydney team like Penrith or Canterbury instead of an inner west team paying lip service....

there is a good chance wests tigers will be moving from their inner west base (camp concord) and will be moving to either liverpool or campbelltown. in the future most games will probably be shared between campbelltown stadium, and anz stadium (or a new or upgraded west sydney stadium). the permanent removal of balmain off the wests tigers board will help this move along. the times they are a-changin'

Last edited:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
there is a good chance wests tigers will be moving from their inner west base (camp concord) and will be moving to either liverpool or campbelltown. in the future most games will probably be shared between campbelltown stadium, and anz stadium (or a new or upgraded west sydney stadium). the permanent removal of balmain off the wests tigers board will help this move along. the times they are a-changin'

Your team, they have a-changed.

Why does this topic always concern you so much?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
You are insecure little minge, just like your team is full with pussies

Howdy. I'm terrified. I haven't been confronted like this since the u12's.

Please assist me by teaching me how to be right 'ard on the internet, just like you!

Thanks in advance!

Also, since the team is filled with pussies and we have a vacancy on the board, I'd like to nominate you.

Looking forward to your efforts in fixing this.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade

Always thought with Balmain being such an iconic name that it should have featured in the merger name and perhaps locality rather than a vague name would have worked better. For instance the Balmain Campbelltown Tigers would have been well received. I understand the Wests Suburbs Magpie element however Wests may have found a rejuvenated life as an expansion club such as the West Coast Magpies. Perhaps this sort of thinking should have been done twenty years ago when the mess was created? Im aware it's too late now but some food for thought. Who knows someone may see the potential in such an idea? You never know?! Then again its rugby league we are discussing? ! Oh well!

Last edited: