What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Trials

tripster

Juniors
Trial 2 Vs Bulldogs teamlist:

1. Dylan EDWARDS
2. Josh MANSOUR
3. Dean WHARE
4. Tyrone PEACHEY
5. Christian CRICHTON
6. James MALONEY
7. Nathan CLEARY
8. James TAMOU
9. Peter WALLACE (c)
10. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD
11. Isaah YEO
12. Viliame KIKAU
13. Trent MERRIN

14. Sione KATOA
15. Sam MCKENDRY
16. Tim BROWNE
17. James FISHER-HARRIS
18. Jarome LUAI
19. Moses LEOTA
20. Waqa BLAKE
21. Corey HARAWIRA-NAERA

I suspect that the 1-13 is going to be our starting 13 for round 1 of the season, and only the bench might shift around. Does anyone think differently?

tripster

Juniors
I think Browne and McKendry are playing for the one spot with CHN in

It's possible. However, CHN didn't play at all last week, and I don't think had much of a pre-season in view of his shoulder surgery. He has also been named at 21. I know you can't read too much into any of those things, but I am wondering if he is fit to start round 1 or if he might be held back a bit longer. He was an 80 minute player after all. That takes some serious fitness in the forwards.

I suspect Browne will be picked over McKendry. Browne had a good game last week in the trials and McKendry got walloped in the second half and came off as a result. His knee is still heavily trapped. As much as I like the guy I unfortunately think it is still going to be a long hard road back for him into the top side.

The best thing about all of this of course is that we only have to wait a few more weeks to find out for certain!

franklin2323

Immortal
It's possible. However, CHN didn't play at all last week, and I don't think had much of a pre-season in view of his shoulder surgery. He has also been named at 21. I know you can't read too much into any of those things, but I am wondering if he is fit to start round 1 or if he might be held back a bit longer. He was an 80 minute player after all. That takes some serious fitness in the forwards.

I suspect Browne will be picked over McKendry. Browne had a good game last week in the trials and McKendry got walloped in the second half and came off as a result. His knee is still heavily trapped. As much as I like the guy I unfortunately think it is still going to be a long hard road back for him into the top side.

The best thing about all of this of course is that we only have to wait a few more weeks to find out for certain!

JFH was playing plenty of prop and lock last week. Shoulders mean they should of been right with fitness etc. It will be tackling that may cause the problem

Yeo, Merrin are 80 min players. Kikau and CHN share the other 80 mins. Then you have Katoa/Peachey if needed.

I think we need the more mobile bench v Parra. How long does Blake and CHN need to prove they are fine to go?

Ideally 40 mins from both from me. Anything less I'd go NSW Cup start

mxlegend99

Referee
JFH was playing plenty of prop and lock last week. Shoulders mean they should of been right with fitness etc. It will be tackling that may cause the problem

Yeo, Merrin are 80 min players. Kikau and CHN share the other 80 mins. Then you have Katoa/Peachey if needed.

I think we need the more mobile bench v Parra. How long does Blake and CHN need to prove they are fine to go?

Ideally 40 mins from both from me. Anything less I'd go NSW Cup start
Depending on where they play... I think Blake could start at centre and Peachey on the bench offers cover for him.

CHN in a similar situation. Kikau can pump out 80 minutes... did so in the world cup and reserve grade. Yeo and Mez can also. I think its low risk to give him a run in first grade.

Even if both Blake and CHN struggled. We usually had 2 benchies with small minutes anyway. Although I think both will be fine by Round 1 if they're fit enough to play this weekend for even limited minutes.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah but chances are it will be 30c when it kicks off. So you want Peachey and Kikau to have plenty of time to stay fresh. So less gametime from them the better. Late in each half is when they should carve up

OldPanther

Coach
This Dogs team is an insult and will get smashed by 50:

1 Kerrod Holland
2 Josh Bergamin
3 Lachlan Lewis
4 John Olive
5 Tom Carr
6 Josh Cleeland
7 Jeremy Marshall-King
8 Francis Tualau
9 Fa'amanu Brown
10 Renouf To’omaga
11 Jayden Okunbor
12 Rhyse Martin
13 Greg Eastwood

Reserves

Ofahiki Ogden
Asipeli Fine
Lachlan Burr
Jack Nelson
Jarred Anderson
Bronson Garlick
Joel Luani D'Rhys Miller

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

1 Kerrod Holland
2 Josh Bergamin
3 Lachlan Lewis
4 John Olive
5 Tom Carr
6 Josh Cleeland
7 Jeremy Marshall-King
8 Francis Tualau
9 Fa'amanu Brown
10 Renouf To’omaga
11 Jayden Okunbor
12 Rhyse Martin
13 Greg Eastwood

Reserves

Ofahiki Ogden
Asipeli Fine
Lachlan Burr
Jack Nelson
Jarred Anderson
Bronson Garlick
Joel Luani D'Rhys Miller

Not many of this team would be in the NRL 30. It seems to be rather like 'cutting off your nose despite your face' from the dogs.

So basically the dogs will go into nrl round 1 without any match fitness. That is a HUGE gamble.

But like a lot of things in life, Panthers need to only look after themselves, get combinations working, and set things up for round 1.

This will be little more than opposed session with the ISP team.

OldPanther

Coach
Not many of this team would be in the NRL 30. It seems to be rather like 'cutting off your nose despite your face' from the dogs.

So basically the dogs will go into nrl round 1 without any match fitness. That is a HUGE gamble.

But like a lot of things in life, Panthers need to only look after themselves, get combinations working, and set things up for round 1.

This will be little more than opposed session with the ISP team.

No way they beat Melbourne week 1.

betcats

Referee

1 Kerrod Holland
2 Josh Bergamin
3 Lachlan Lewis
4 John Olive
5 Tom Carr
6 Josh Cleeland
7 Jeremy Marshall-King
8 Francis Tualau
9 Fa'amanu Brown
10 Renouf To’omaga
11 Jayden Okunbor
12 Rhyse Martin
13 Greg Eastwood

Reserves

Ofahiki Ogden
Asipeli Fine
Lachlan Burr
Jack Nelson
Jarred Anderson
Bronson Garlick
Joel Luani D'Rhys Miller

Bunch of lower graders looking to prove a point being led by Eastwood has me worried about potential injuries tbh

mxlegend99

Referee
I hate that the Bulldogs are sending a joke team out .

Anything less than putting 50+ on them would be an embarrassment to us. We dont really gain anything from playing that side either. Our own NSW Cup team would challenge us more.

We wont have faced a decent team going into Round 1. Roosters side was reserve grade standard with a handful of NRL players sprinkled in. This Bulldogs side is just taking thr piss.

OldPanther

Coach
Bunch of lower graders looking to prove a point being led by Eastwood has me worried about potential injuries tbh

The thought crossed my mind. No idea what they're playing at when they have the Storm round 1.

I hate that the Bulldogs are sending a joke team out .

Anything less than putting 50+ on them would be an embarrassment to us. We dont really gain anything from playing that side either. Our own NSW Cup team would challenge us more.

We wont have faced a decent team going into Round 1. Roosters side was reserve grade standard with a handful of NRL players sprinkled in. This Bulldogs side is just taking thr piss.

Yeah, can't really test the defence or anything properly. Might as well play against our ISP team at home.

betcats

Referee
Depending on where they play... I think Blake could start at centre and Peachey on the bench offers cover for him.

CHN in a similar situation. Kikau can pump out 80 minutes... did so in the world cup and reserve grade. Yeo and Mez can also. I think its low risk to give him a run in first grade.

Even if both Blake and CHN struggled. We usually had 2 benchies with small minutes anyway. Although I think both will be fine by Round 1 if they're fit enough to play this weekend for even limited minutes.

I didn't know that. A guy his size who is mobile enough to play in the centres and has a big enough motor to play 80 minutes is nothing short of freakish. If he stays fit he should have a big career.

mxlegend99

Referee
I didn't know that. A guy his size who is mobile enough to play in the centres and has a big enough motor to play 80 minutes is nothing short of freakish. If he stays fit he should have a big career.
Yeah he has a big engine for his size. High workrate in defence too. He usually dominates tackles. He loves to use his size.

Comes at the risk of being beaten through speed/footwork or an error here and there. But when he ca. Match hold his own against the Australian forward pack for 80 minutes you know hes something special.

betcats

Referee
Yeah he has a big engine for his size. High workrate in defence too. He usually dominates tackles. He loves to use his size.

Comes at the risk of being beaten through speed/footwork or an error here and there. But when he ca. Match hold his own against the Australian forward pack for 80 minutes you know hes something special.

Was he playing middle or edge in the WC? I prefer JFH in the middle, his energy and aggression really help our defence when he harnesses it properly and it gives Kikau the edge spot on the bench.

Assuming Yeo, CHN are our starting edge forwards when fit and the the middle is RCG,Merrin,Tamou. Bringing JFH and Kikau on after 20-30 should really add some impact.