What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Will be interested to see how he will go this year with his ball carries. If he wants to stay at FB, he'll need to be able to ruck it back without getting monstered. Otherwise he will just be keeping the seat warm for Gutho or Hayne.
WTF? He is going to be in the 17 anyway. Given all the other requirements of an NRL fullback, making hit ups is way down the list, and the reason he has a winger on either side of him. Less is required of wingers, so it's reasonable to expect them to be able to make the tough carries.

And at fullback it's harder (impossible) for the opposition to isolate him in the corner.

emjaycee

Coach
WTF? He is going to be in the 17 anyway. Given all the other requirements of an NRL fullback, making hit ups is way down the list, and the reason he has a winger on either side of him. Less is required of wingers, so it's reasonable to expect them to be able to make the tough carries.

And at fullback it's harder (impossible) for the opposition to isolate him in the corner.

Unless of course he retrieves a kick that ends up in a corner and he finds himself isolated in the corner.
Then it wouldn't be impossible.

lingard

Coach
Bev needs to claw back some of the form he lost after that injury. As much as scoring 6 tries in his last 7 games is impressive for any player, we all know he was below his best.

Will be interested to see how he will go this year with his ball carries. If he wants to stay at FB, he'll need to be able to ruck it back without getting monstered. Otherwise he will just be keeping the seat warm for Gutho or Hayne.

I hope he wows us. He deserves better than just being Nathan Merritt 2.0.

Fair enough. But there's nothing wrong with being a Nathan Merritt 2.0.

Gronk

Staff member
Fair enough. But there's nothing wrong with being a Nathan Merritt 2.0.

Nathan Merritt was a very good NRL player with an exceptional try scoring record. It was either his defence, lack of stature or both that prevented him from being a regular rep for his state and country.

I would love for Bev to put on some beef GI style and tear many more arseholes for NSW.

lingard

Coach
It
It's not ideal in the modern game.

It's worked pretty well for him so far. He's been a very good winger for us. Everyone wants him to be a superstar fullback. That may or may not happen. Just saying. Don't forget Merritt showed glimpses of brilliance at fullback, but was never destined to be one. I think French is more likely than not to excell at fullback - but you never know.

emjaycee

Coach
It

It's worked pretty well for him so far. He's been a very good winger for us. Everyone wants him to be a superstar fullback. That may or may not happen. Just saying. Don't forget Merritt showed glimpses of brilliance at fullback, but was never destined to be one. I think French is more likely than not to excell at fullback - but you never know.

I agree it is possible he could excel at fullback.
Official club web page has French at 181cm and 83kg's. Storm's website has Billy "The Kid" at 178cm and 88kgs. I see no reason why Bevan couldn't emulate the career of Slater at FB except of course he won't have the same players around him.

Not sure what that means for Gutho if French starts at FB and kills it this year though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It

It's worked pretty well for him so far. He's been a very good winger for us.
No he hasn't. He's been a very good finisher, and safe against the kick, but his lack of go forward has hurt us on the wing. Teams bomb to him because they know our sets will start poorly.
Everyone wants him to be a superstar fullback. That may or may not happen. Just saying. Don't forget Merritt showed glimpses of brilliance at fullback, but was never destined to be one. I think French is more likely than not to excell at fullback - but you never know.
If French can't make it at fullback he will never be a star on the wing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Official club web page has French at 181cm and 83kg's. Storm's website has Billy "The Kid" at 178cm and 88kgs. I see no reason why Bevan couldn't emulate the career of Slater at FB except of course he won't have the same players around him.

Not sure what that means for Gutho if French starts at FB and kills it this year though.
He would have to play centre.

El Diablo

Post Whore
It

he doesn't hit the ball up hard enough imo and his defence is a bit dodgy. probably a bit short too and can be out jumped easily

Gronk

Staff member

Rat Face Slater has the ability to run the ball at set defence at pace. You rarely see him jogging it back and conceding tackles. When he hits the grass he wrestles with the ball in hand judo style to ensure that he is held before he gets dragged anywhere.

French should study the merkin as he is the benchmark for lightweight elite backs.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I disagree. He has scored more tries because he's had more room. But at fullback he's been able to get more involved and use his playmaking ability.
Individually he may have been better but as far as what was best for the team, I’d argue wing was the best fit because it allowed Guth to be more involved. His lack of metres rucking the ball out didn’t seem to impact us too much, particularly with our other outside backs able to do this early in the set.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Individually he may have been better but as far as what was best for the team, I’d argue wing was the best fit because it allowed Guth to be more involved. His lack of metres rucking the ball out didn’t seem to impact us too much, particularly with our other outside backs able to do this early in the set.
Yeah but that was when we had Semi.