What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well seeing that you have dragged me into your dumbarse argument. And I say dumbarse, because there are always opportunities to strengthen rosters if you know what you're doing and willing to make the tough calls and spend the money.

Just look at a so called average coach, that so many fans have maligned and yet he has over, I think 3 or 4 seasons, assembled probably the best forward roster, bar the Storm and will probably play in the GF against the Storm this year or go very close, baring injuries, the Dragons.

Then you have my favourite coach and what he has done in one off season with the Tigers.

But lets see, both Api and Cook were available since 2016, and both re-signed since then again with their respective clubs. Now if BA could not see that the 9's he has at our club are gash, then I'm afraid he he isn't much of a coach. But I think he is a good coach, but has a blind side with loyalty and the players. I for one have been going on about Api since he was 17-18 yrs old when he was in the Souths juniors. But hey what do I know?

Also this years SOO 9 that the Dragons have was available too. So again he missed the boat. Need I go on? As for 8 and 10, I couldn't be bothered going through the list of player movement there.

Like I said, there are always players available from season to season. The coach though needs to be ruthless. It is not as if we have won anything and these players have delivered the ultimate prize and he feels indebted to these players. The roster has fallen short in every year that he has been here, he needed to address those short comings that were bleeding obvious.

He hasn't and only now with a 0-6 record has he moved off his arse to do the obvious and we will see if he does more of what is still needed.

P.S. We will lose against the Tigers this weekend.

Just a question, though:

Do you have any proof that Arthur didn't speak to those players at all?

I mean, for all we know, he made Api Koirosau an offer, but got knocked back.

TheRam

Coach
f**k me the Dragons fans love winning pre June premierships all by themselves, don't do it for them.
McGregor & Arthur have been in their respective positions about the same length of time and we've played twice as many finals games as them. If it wasn't for a f**ked salary cap then we would have at least played 3 times as many. Granted we're at polar opposites so far this season but do you think Drag fans were celebrating their team and coach's awesomeness the past 2 seasons?

Whether or not they've been off contract since both Korisau & Cook were signed by their respective teams whilst we still had Peats and at the time it was pretty reasonable to think he'd be a decent long-term hooker with a young project in Kaysa. If they have been off contract since then (did they sign 1 year contracts FFS?) then they haven't signed elsewhere either and as much as you want to bleat on about making irrefusable offers or any player can be signed by anyone if they do it right, that's simply a fairytale.

I'd have taken Cook over McInnes at the time and well Drags won that lottery. Still again I don't reckon Drags were lauding that signing over any one late last year. He was gash.

I agree he should be more ruthless but sometimes it also makes a better financial decision to stick with what you got. And again when signing players, it takes 2 to tango. There could any multitude of reasons one players signs with another club over ours.

P.S. I also don't think you read my other post about which front rowers we have lost and signed in BA's tenure. IMO it's not as horrible as you believe

Wrong on so many counts, but I couldn't be f'ed sorting you out.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
What happened the past 2 years? But anyway Cook is quick and has a good all round game. Kaysa doesn’t yet

Probably the forward pack they're playing behind. Cook has usually played behind big forward packs, whereas Kaysa hasn't. Kaysa's best game was last weekend when we dominated manlys pack.

TheRam

Coach
Cook has played 56 FG games in 6 seasons and is only now showing what he's got.

He showed what he was capable of at Canterbury and that is why the Bunnies signed him. The problem was two fold initially at the Bunnies.

1. The Bunnies were crap when he first signed on and 2. they were being coached by a very restrictive coach who isn't really a players coach. Now it has turned around 180. Also it doesn't hurt to mature and have some experience.

But he always showed that he had the talent. It was just a matter of getting it out of him consistently.

TheRam

Coach
Probably the forward pack they're playing behind. Cook has usually played behind big forward packs, whereas Kaysa hasn't. Kaysa's best game was last weekend when we dominated manlys pack.

I don't like or value players like Kaysa who throw themselves at big forwards like kamikazes. They are always going to be a liability over the long haul. His talent is also limited. His passing game is average. The balls he delivers many times go slightly behind the receiver. A major no no from your dummy half.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
He showed what he was capable of at Canterbury and that is why the Bunnies signed him. The problem was two fold initially at the Bunnies.

1. The Bunnies were crap when he first signed on and 2. they were being coached by a very restrictive coach who isn't really a players coach. Now it has turned around 180. Also it doesn't hurt to mature and have some experience.

But he always showed that he had the talent. It was just a matter of getting it out of him consistently.
You could say exactly the same about Kaysa. My point is that I can forgive BA for not throwing the bank at a bloke who was a fringe first grader not so log ago.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I don't like or value players like Kaysa who throw themselves at big forwards like kamikazes. They are always going to be a liability over the long haul. His talent is also limited. His passing game is average. The balls he delivers many times go slightly behind the receiver. A major no no from your dummy half.
And yet when our pack goes well was near MOM

We dream of Kaysa having an average passing game. Then wake up with sticky sheets.

lingard

Coach
No, I just wouldn't support spending 800k on Cook. I agree he's been great this year, but I also contend that he's not the proven performer that Gleneel suggests. I have high hopes for Mahoney and or Schneider*. As for Pritchard, he looked great behind a dominant pack on the weekend. Maybe the return of Jnr will have benefits for whoever our hooker is as well.

* I try not to get too hyped about our juniors as I have little opportunity to see them play. I can only read between the lines and think that our lack of urgency to resign to senior hookers is a sign that these two are highly regarded.

With all due respects, relying on juniors who we haven't seen much of (I haven't either) is a huge gamble considering how many never fulfil their potential. And how long would we be waiting for Mahony and Schneider to be consistent first grade players? Who would mentor them? Kaysa Pritchard? The number nine is a very important spine position. I don't think it's something we can afford to f**k around with.

lingard

Coach
Vintage-Frames-Company-Dice-Love-Hate-sunglasses-3.jpg

They look like blue and gold glasses to me.

lingard

Coach
Just because someone wouldn't spend 800k on Cook doesn't mean they'd want to keep Kaysa as our #1 dummy half.

If it were my decision I'd sign Matt Parcell on $300k and run with him, Pritchard and Mahoney as the 3 dummy halves in the top 30 squad next year.

Mate, you might well be right. I've never seen him play. What's he like?