What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs Canberra

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Remember the 1st game against Souths? When Leilua almost cost us the game??

Game was still in the balance and having watched Lawrie in ISP, he is prone to bone headed plays.

We needed 2 points today, that supercedes giving young guys a run just for the sake of it.

Agreed.

The best 17 (barring injury) should be picked EVERY GAME!

On form, Sele should be included.

Drag Queen

Bench
When is it time though? Even when we belt teams our bench use is sh*t(think of Robson vs Storm).
You have a point LG. Other teams have had to do it out of necessity (Injuries etc) and they've had great results. Broncs spring to mind. I'm just not sure our reserves are up to scratch barring a couple. I liked Periera and Leilua yesterday but the rest were bloody ordinary tbh.

mickeylane

Bench
Don't isolate one individual when the whole right side is flimsy for numerous reasons.
Nightingale back pedalled on Cotric in a simple one on one play and got steam rolled for the 1st try..
Nightingale defended 3m inside the touchline and got skinned for 3 tries by Ado Carr
I cant write any more im getting RSI - Aitken is not a liability - Nightingale is not producing the goods...he doesnt score tries - he's counterpart Mcdonald has scored 7 and 65 % of the play is being played down Nightingales side - work that one out!!

mickeylane

Bench
He was OK but have you actually bothered watching other teams Mickey. I'm not sure he'll make the grade tbh.
Im pretty certain the Vaughan will be on the bench - hes improved year on year and thats what the selectors look for improvement and current form..
Im worried for Mciness though i think cook will get the nod and I think sims will be touch and go

Drag Queen

Bench
I think Vaughn played himself into SOO today agreed!!
Nightingale back pedalled on Cotric in a simple one on one play and got steam rolled for the 1st try..
Nightingale defended 3m inside the touchline and got skinned for 3 tries by Ado Carr
I cant write any more im getting RSI - Aitken is not a liability - Nightingale is not producing the goods...he doesnt score tries - he's counterpart Mcdonald has scored 7 and 65 % of the play is being played down Nightingales side - work that one out!!
I'd be bloody surprised if Aitken is picked for SOO Mickey. You need to get out more mate Xx

Old Timer

Coach
My take aways from today's game and it is a given about bench selection, bench rotation and Nighty.
  1. Mudgee is the nicest ground to play on after KJO as the playing surface was fantastic.
  2. We have more individual brilliance this year than the past 6 years (take a bow Mr Dufty and to a lesser degree Mr Hunt).
  3. The individual brilliance makes us look much better than we are and for many still masks the underlying and very obvious deficiencies in our side.
  4. Without individual brilliance we would have probably lost 1 if not 2 other games and at some point IMO it will catch up with us big time.
  5. 10 metres out from the opposition is the worst position on the field for us and we play poorly when there, which is a lot.
  6. Graham looking flogged (I think he came to us with an underlying problem) brings very little to us in attack and is stifling it when he plays 2nd receiver. Yes I know his defence etc all helps but he must be managed better and kept out of the attacking plays as much as possible and I think his on field value next year is now very questionable.
  7. Up until a couple of weeks ago I thought that I got it wrong about Sims and that he is actually an 80 minute player but I don't think he can sustain it for the season without him getting flogged as well. He will be much better and effective for longer if the bench rotation gives him a bit of a break.
  8. If our discipline is as bad against the good sides as it was today we are in for some serious problems and a few floggings.
  9. No doubt last year we probably lose todays game so that is a positive but against good quality opposition we wouldn't have been allowed the freedom to come back so the win has to be put into the correct context.

notes from today for tomorrow's review.
TEAM
Must play the ball properly
never turn your back on an acting team
never stop defending & assuming a penalty
COACH
Rest Graham
Rest Nighty
Rethink bench
Bring in Lomax
Positives
* Scored two scintillating tries
* Forwards were outstanding once again especially Vaughn, Sims and McInnes
* Dufty - x factor very dangerous.
Negatives
* Conceded two very soft tries - no idea
* Basic handling errors and penalties.
* Right side ineffectual - Aitkin in particular totally outclassed. Mann is the centre option.
* 56% possession and still only 3 vs 3 tries - Widdop's kicking the difference.
* Lawrie got no game time at all - played with 16...again - mystifying!

kit66

Bench
9 wins 2 losses, best attack, best defence and 2 points ahead of everyone ......so why are my nerves almost shot ?

That was hard to watch, terrible discipline and worrying lapses in defence. Messy in attack as well. We gave Canberra far too many opportunities, more than they earned or deserved that's for sure. Hopefully we can pull it together next week against the Penny Panthers. I'm sure we'll lift as we have a good record against them.

Couple of issues for me;

1. We need to get Lafai more early ball, he's so dangerous but rarely has an opportunity and with guys like Nene, Dufty and Sims lurking we could trouble any defence.

2. Nightie is a victim of circumstance, out on a wing where he rarely sees the ball let alone gets set up in space or near the line . Not his fault but his recent poor defence is. Give the bigger, stronger, younger Lomax or Herbert a run, see what happens, we certainly can't do any worse. Love the guy but.....

3. We've gone away from our early season game where Widdop and Hunt are first or second receivers and running the show from there and have moved to a game that sees our forwards getting the ball but not for hit -ups, they're stopping and passing - far too often. We saw today when we play regular footy, forwards hitting it up and getting quick play the balls and leaving the rest to Widdop, Hunt or McIness we're a lot better side and roll up the field like no-ones business.

On the bright side JDB, Sims, Vaughan and Frizelle are why we keep winning, awesome foursome and Wids and Dufty too, well done.

Drag Queen

Bench
Im pretty certain the Vaughan will be on the bench - hes improved year on year and thats what the selectors look for improvement and current form..
Im worried for Mciness though i think cook will get the nod and I think sims will be touch and go
I can almost guarantee Cook will get the nod after last night's game. I think what pisses me off the most is Freddy's nonchalant (I have the power persona) he currently has over all NSW players. It's almost immature to watch. Thoughts?

Drag Queen

Bench
Positives
* Scored two scintillating tries
* Forwards were outstanding once again especially Vaughn, Sims and McInnes
* Dufty - x factor very dangerous.
Negatives
* Conceded two very soft tries - no idea
* Basic handling errors and penalties.
* Right side ineffectual - Aitkin in particular totally outclassed. Mann is the centre option.
* 56% possession and still only 3 vs 3 tries - Widdop's kicking the difference.
* Lawrie got no game time at all - played with 16...again - mystifying!

Last edited:
That was hard to watch

Positives:

2 Points
Individual brilliance of McInnes/Dufty/Widdop.
No serious injuries, Hunt and JDB played without obvious discomfort
It is a game we would have lost over the past 3 seasons
Sir James continues to set the team line speed

Negatives:

Handling errors
Penalties
Lack of concentration in defence
Right side defence continues to struggle
Sir James and Flo are running on old tired legs

Where to from here ?

Our team has the wobbles.

If our concentration and execution is as poor next week we will be smashed by the Panthers.

Can't expect Dufty and Widdop to score 2 miracle tries every week.

ozbuck

Juniors
Your an idiot!

no. your one eyed view and too much emotional investment in a football team could be skewing your view of things. Eg Nightingale play the ball should've CLEARLY been pulled up by the refs.

"Refs are always against us, blah blah blah"

It's horseshit.

But go on, feed your little 'poor bugger me' syndrome. Been there, done that.

Blinkered logic ML
When Nightingale was playing on Lafai's side last year, he was scoring as many if not more tries than McDonald. That was with McCrone at half back not Hunt.
This year he is playing outside Aitkin who doesn't ever pass the ball and cannot create anything for his winger.
Put whoever you want on the right wing and the result will be the same.
Aitkin is a defensive liability and has to take a big chunk of responsibility for our weakness there.
Nightingale gets stranded over and over and obviously, as a smaller man one on one, his not going to stop Cotric that close to the line..
Aitkin was nowhere to be seen today - schooled by Croker and co. and other than being a hard straight runner, I don't see what all the hype's about. SOO candidate? hardly.
Ado Carr is scoring tries almost at will and together with the hatrick he scored against us, he has scored 9 tries in 4 games.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
no. your one eyed view and too much emotional investment in a football team could be skewing your view of things. Eg Nightingale play the ball should've CLEARLY been pulled up by the refs.

"Refs are always against us, blah blah blah"

It's horseshit.

But go on, feed your little 'poor bugger me' syndrome. Been there, done that.

The only horse shit is coming from your mouth.