What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Foxtel Pay TV Only RATINGS

Perth Red

Post Whore
So we agree the nrl under smith and Greenberg failed in every major targett of the start plan. Let’s see the 18-23 strat plan so we can judge how Greenberg and whatever muppet comes next fails to achieve lol.
As said already the spending on digital,bailing clubs out, investigating dodgy clubs like yours, etc doesn’t sit in the admin fee line so you can’t use them as excuses for greenbergs high admin costs in 15&16.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
AFL still deserve more than us because the game goes a lot longer and they have more games.
We could have more games and the games could go longer then we would deserve more than them. Fox makes a good bit of its money from all of their ads now. We need the game to go longer than 100 minutes. That is not long enough it has to go for 120 minutes.

taipan

Referee
So we agree the nrl under smith and Greenberg failed in every major targett of the start plan. Let’s see the 18-23 strat plan so we can judge how Greenberg and whatever muppet comes next fails to achieve lol.
As said already the spending on digital,bailing clubs out, investigating dodgy clubs like yours, etc doesn’t sit in the admin fee line so you can’t use them as excuses for greenbergs high admin costs in 15&16.

Have to disappoint.
Correction Bud, in all humility the day I agree with you is the day I get a season ticket to GWS.Perpetual whingers where something is good or bad ,doesn't sit with me.It's a sign you have a real problem with life.
Or perpetuate the line Pommies invented the word whinge.

The NRL is not the only organisation to set targets and not meet them.It happens in the commercial world, ask Telstra/Woolworths/Coles/the Banks/builders/Optus,and construction companies who set construction completion times.

I repeat one more time sigh.The costs incurred are part of the costs of running the game.Else all you'd have in head office is a CEO and no staff in various depts.
Costs affect the bottom line ,the very bottom line that provides money for various other possibilities.
Did you get the message about consultants apparently not. Or Smiths pay out.
You ignored the costs of running and taking over the Tits and Knights, and loans ,naturally.

Then spell out in full, the administration fee lines ,as to what it encompasses.Else you are grasping at straws.

I'm not making excuses for anyone,I'm spelling out what Greenberg is involved in ,as are the Integrity unit,Commercial side,Digital side.all incurring costs.I'm spelling out known wastage made by Smith,and the non assistance at grassroots.

This is the first year of the new TV deal, where the real money is swirling around.And it could have been more ion Smith hadn't gone gang ho.

LOL the "dodgy"club of mine, was a lot less dodgy than your fave mob via Essendon.Was the Storm dodgy when they rorted the cap maestro?Not once, not twice but over a couple of years.

More open ,and smart enough to get a deal that suited ASADA.Essendon played stubborn mules, and you said stuff all .

Just to keep you happy an additional 220 apartments ,a 75 room hotel have been approved, in addition to the prior development approvals.This will provide additional revenue and profits for the club.Which profit wise earlier on before these additionals, had increased from an expected $50m to $60m.I'm sure in typical mode, you'll find something there to bitch about.
And getting close to record memberships.How's Perth's BTW as an aside.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can you show me evidence of this known wastage by Smith, not saying it wasn't there, just where's your evidence? It isnt showing up in the financial reports.
when he took over Gallop's NRL it was a shoddy half arsed organisation with very little professional infrastructure. The fact Smith came from a business world where this basic infrastructure to support growth exists to the NRL shed probably explains some of the increase. So who did he employ and what did he pay them? People point to Richardson but by all a ccounts his whole of game review was quite thorough and came up with a number of recommendations, some of which are now being put in place such as focus on State comps, merging of affiliate states into NRL, scrapping of U20's etc.

You're obviously in the Grant "these were aspirational targets not what we expected to meet" camp lol
No problem they didn't meet them, the fact they didn't get close, and in fact have gone backwards, on some of the key ones is the unspoken issue, wheres the confidence if they couldn't do it with the massive money increase they had in 2012-2017 they will 2018-2023 with even more money, especially as even larger chunks of that money are going into players and clubs and projects such as "digital" (by the way did you see Grants forecast for digitial revenue, it was less than they are planning to spend!)?

You seem very fixated on AFL to deflect from the discussion about RL!
How's Perth? Another deflection.
Apartments this, apartments that, another deflection from the discussion at hand.

And yes systemic club endorsed and organised drug taking is dodgy and cost the NRL money to investigate and deal with.

But everything in your last post was a move away from the original discussion which had some relevance to the thread which is the Fox TV deal and your ridiculous claim Smith went rogue and did the deal with Nine whilst stalling negotiations with Fox on his own with no sign off from the commission on the strategy or the deal. Do you still really believe that is the case :)

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
just add another quarter, simple

If we had 5 minute quarter time breaks the game would make about 50 mill a year more. Provided the clubs don't get their greasy hands on it thats got to be good. It would also be cool to see which coaches can make adjustments. The few minutes around half time are usually the most enjoyable so why not go to quarters.

taipan

Referee
Can you show me evidence of this known wastage by Smith, not saying it wasn't there, just where's your evidence? It isnt showing up in the financial reports.
when he took over Gallop's NRL it was a shoddy half arsed organisation with very little professional infrastructure. The fact Smith came from a business world where this basic infrastructure to support growth exists to the NRL shed probably explains some of the increase. So who did he employ and what did he pay them? People point to Richardson but by all a ccounts his whole of game review was quite thorough and came up with a number of recommendations, some of which are now being put in place such as focus on State comps, merging of affiliate states into NRL, scrapping of U20's etc.

You're obviously in the Grant "these were aspirational targets not what we expected to meet" camp lol
No problem they didn't meet them, the fact they didn't get close, and in fact have gone backwards, on some of the key ones is the unspoken issue, wheres the confidence if they couldn't do it with the massive money increase they had in 2012-2017 they will 2018-2023 with even more money, especially as even larger chunks of that money are going into players and clubs and projects such as "digital" (by the way did you see Grants forecast for digitial revenue, it was less than they are planning to spend!)?

You seem very fixated on AFL to deflect from the discussion about RL!
How's Perth? Another deflection.
Apartments this, apartments that, another deflection from the discussion at hand.

And yes systemic club endorsed and organised drug taking is dodgy and cost the NRL money to investigate and deal with.

But everything in your last post was a move away from the original discussion which had some relevance to the thread which is the Fox TV deal and your ridiculous claim Smith went rogue and did the deal with Nine whilst stalling negotiations with Fox on his own with no sign off from the commission on the strategy or the deal. Do you still really believe that is the case :)

I'm not going to waste too much oxygen replying to you ,safe to say:
1) Smith was paid more than double Greenburger.For what?.How much was his payout figure?
2) He had at least 4 highly paid consultants including Shane Richardson.I'm reckoning on at least $600,000 pa on each.If he'd of spent that money in the bush<I'd be all for it.How much were they paid out?

3)He had far more functions /dinners than the current mob.Hire cars no problem.Current mob either use cars or economy on planes.

No I'm in the camp that says Grant was a photo op guy, who loved to spend, and Smith thought he was still in Commercial Banking traipsing the world with mullion million dollar deals.And hang the incidental expenses.

It's not my ridiculous claim, after the stuff up management within clubs were of the opinion he went outside the bounds of what should have been done.

.Graeme Samuel who was involved in the AFL TV negotiations, then on the ARLC.swiftly moved on after Smith's effort.He noted he was uncomfortable with the negotiations.

One more time, the only person at the announcement was Smith,never had a Tv deal done with only one NRL rep appearing.

Samuel knows more about dealing with high powered negotiations, than you've had squirts in your lifetime.
Every prior Tv deal despite d*ckhead Gallop being involved ,included ch9 and Fox.We were diddled because Fox owned half the NRL.So the precedent over the many years of Tv deals,has encompassed both parties.Smith's did not.Rupert gets the sh*ts. No one really knows what we would have got if in the end, if traditions had been maintained.

Fixated on AFL LOL.Your'e the clown9almost an AGL sycophant) who always cite them as the be all and end all of sport.And of course you quickly glazed ove the Storm. (which you are a member??) cap rorting over years not a few weeks like the Sharks.A deflection hey what.

Your'e the man(sitting in your armchair away from reality) who regularly comes on these threads to bag the Sharks.You used the description "dodgy",you serve conversely expect a response.Ditto how's Perth.
Whiners don't get treated with kid gloves here.

I'm doing what any normal person would do and respond in kind,viz a viz the apartments and long term financial strength.And guess what ? You can't handle it brother.
I've in fact wasted oxygen .

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
So an NRL CEO went off and negotiated the first part of a two part tv deal without any input or sign off from the commission? lol you are a fruit loop. Never gonna happen, never happened. Businesses with boards and governance processes dont operate in that way!

Maybe Smith convinced them the best strategy was to get a major increase in TV $'s from FTA then hold Fox over a barrel rather than the other way round. Maybe he convinced them that having Fox and Nine negotiating and colluding together would lead to a bad outcome, maybe none of it was Smiths idea and the highly paid consultancy firm advised the best strategy. Neither you or I know.

What would have been interesting was for the NRL to have some balls and stayed the course and not blinked in the face of Murdoch's epic dummy spit. He applied the pressure, the commission caved, again. What was Murdoch going to do, not have the biggest sport that earns the most money on Foxsports? NRL's survived on less money before, good luck Foxsports surviving without NRL.

Some references for your claims above would be nice!

taipan

Referee
So an NRL CEO went off and negotiated the first part of a two part tv deal without any input or sign off from the commission? lol you are a fruit loop. Never gonna happen, never happened. Businesses with boards and governance processes dont operate in that way!

Maybe Smith convinced them the best strategy was to get a major increase in TV $'s from FTA then hold Fox over a barrel rather than the other way round. Maybe he convinced them that having Fox and Nine negotiating and colluding together would lead to a bad outcome, maybe none of it was Smiths idea and the highly paid consultancy firm advised the best strategy. Neither you or I know.

What would have been interesting was for the NRL to have some balls and stayed the course and not blinked in the face of Murdoch's epic dummy spit. He applied the pressure, the commission caved, again. What was Murdoch going to do, not have the biggest sport that earns the most money on Foxsports? NRL's survived on less money before, good luck Foxsports surviving without NRL.

Some references for your claims above would be nice!

Troll I'm not here to feed you anymore.
Do your own figuring and keep up the AFL love in.It suits you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Troll I'm not here to feed you anymore.
Do your own figuring and keep up the AFL love in.It suits you.

:) thanks for the discussion, it’s been fun.

Yeh XIII, If only we had leaders with the courage of our players!

Latest posts