What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trainers/coaches on field

ed-grimley

Bench
Watched the Broncs play Manly live. Allan Langer was out there sitting behind the middle of the ruck directing play every set. He then goes off when Manly gets the ball. When someone needs treatment some other guy comes on the field.

Its what happens when you don't have a real halfback.
Maybe Klemmer or someone similar could target him when taking the ball up.

kbw

Bench
There has been a crack down on the rules for the orange shirt, which is sensible as they have more medical responsibility. You do see more and more accredited physios as orange shirts.
The blue shirt is often an assistant coach and is the one barking the instructions.

Also they are supposed be off the field by the 4th tackle I believe
this doesn't apply to the orange who can enter the field at any time they believe a player has an injury

no name

Coach
Non medically qualified trainers should not be allowed on unless it’s a break in play.
These blokes train for hours a week and still have someone there talking them step by step through the game.
They have looser rules on trainers in the NRL than they do for junior league where they are still learning the game.
Medically qualified trainers should be able to go on whenever but only if a genuine injury.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
My 2 cents.

It detracts form the footy having a guy in a bright shirt pointing and telling players what to do. You dont notice watching on the TV but at the games it is obvious.

The NRL should provide water people and they should be there to ensure the players are hydrated. How many times are you at the footy and see the water boys/messengers run on for a couple of minutes and nobody has a drink.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
I think they should be OK to run out with the water..

But as a new Rule, if this occurs, they must take the 4th tackle hit up or if it is on the 5th play and a try is scored, as a secondary rule, they must take the conversion attempt..

Thoughts?

Nuke

Staff member
I seem to recall there is an NRL rule that coaches cannot be on-field trainers.
I'm a Sports Trainer for a club in WA, a blue shirt (which is the level between the yellow water runner and the more experience orange trainer). Rules here, which I believe to be NRL rules across the country are that trainers / runners cannot coach from on the field, only relay coaches' messages. We cannot be on the field while our team is defending (exception being in the case of injury), and when our team is in attack, while we can be out there and passing messages on, we need to be seen to be at least offering water to players. While the NRL rules may be a little different, the gist of them are probably the same.

siv

First Grade
Give each bench player a water bottle and allow them to try and hit the opposition blue shirts during a game

siv

First Grade
My 2 cents.

It detracts form the footy having a guy in a bright shirt pointing and telling players what to do. You dont notice watching on the TV but at the games it is obvious.

The NRL should provide water people and they should be there to ensure the players are hydrated. How many times are you at the footy and see the water boys/messengers run on for a couple of minutes and nobody has a drink.

Fine clubs if blue shirts are going to act as under 7 coaches

T-Boon

Coach
Last week when Parra were so bad in defense against Souths it would have been cool to see the D coach, David Kidwell, or Brad Arthur himself wander around the field to that left touch line and coach the left defense from the side line. That would have been interesting to see.

My 2 cents.

I agree, it's a bad look that we have pro players who need the waterboy to tell them what to do. Surely they are capable of getting themselves organised.