What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Squad List

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Make or break year for JDB and Bird, could be time for UK top up. Also on big dollars this year. $700k from memory for JDB and $600 for Bird. Good rebuild dollars
Also not sure Lomax sees himself as a winger and could also have a blow up/early release this year. Another$700k there.
I sense 2025 we will look very different….

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
I think JDB 10yr plus has only 10% of his contract only apply to salary cap

That could be incorrect and it is actually 5%

That is insane and worthy to keep given the minimum top30 player now is something like $120k Pa which is double JDB re the cap

Insane

Lawrie and Lomax not far behind
Good point, forgot about that component

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I could be wrong but i thougth the intention was to make the player almost sal cap exempt given they will generally be old etc and a reason to keep them and honor their commitment to the cause.

I mean you might turf out a $350k 33 yr old that has played ten years for you if you have a stack of youth coming through ?? but if sal cap exempt you may keep them in your top30??

hence the intention of the sal cap relief to prolong veterans servants of the game before their knees get cut from underneath them and they can stay one club men !

This also provides an incentive to develop players early from local juniors !!

my reading was that they are 90% exempt 9yrs and 95% exempt 10yrs

The opposite is so negligible would it even count ? ie max 10% not in the cap?

in reality there are so few players that can achieve 10yrs in the NRL at the one club

Liam Martin started at 22yrs old and if he stayed at at Penrith till 32yrs of age what would be the odds of keeping him at a decent contract if a new young Liam Martin was emerging ???

HOLD THE PHONE

It appears you are right and only 10% wiped off cap for a veteran 10 yr player

So if JDB wants $700k pa in 2025 his cap salary is $630k pa !!! not much of an incentive for the club to grow and promote local talent early and retain for a decade !!!

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Is Manu available, he's the Rooster we need?
Also, what about May from the Roosters?
They would be good pick ups for us possm, but very unlikely given that the Roosters would definitely want to keep May and Manu is likely to go to union then likely return to the Roosters for his swan song I guess.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With Turner (supposedly) off to the ESL, we will have 1 spot available in our top 30.

A couple of scenarios to ponder:

1. Save the spot to sign the rugby guy Hugh Renton in or around July. Given he would be a rugby convert he won't impact our salary cap.

2. Wait and get a good look at our juniors or ressies or T&T players who may be excelling, hence promote them. Haele Finau (brother of Sione) for example is a hooker, which we are in need of. Not saying he's the answer though, it's just an example.

3. Immediately promote a current extended squad player.

4. See who's available on the open or closed market and ready for an immediate switch.

That's all I can think of atm, and there's probably a few more that I haven't touched on.

TheRev

First Grade
Its almost certainly a Hooker or a Fullback imo.. probably both.. helped a little since Mulheissen seems to have the trust of Flanno now (this is all trial form mind you).

I think Fullback is an issue, the gap between Sloan > JF/SG kids is 2-3yrs atleast.. I dont think Lomax to fullback is really something Flanno wants to do unless via injury.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The rugby convert can sign in July and play reserve grade for 2024 to get him ready for 2025. No need to include him in top 30 at all in 2024. I don't think he will be ready for a while and will need him to train with the team for a few months to get him ready as he is coming in from a different code not another NRL team. Can they sign him as a T&T player?

I am sure there will be some good players wanting a release soon once they don't get not enough game time that Saints can pounce on. That is if the Dogs haven't already done so as I am sure they still have 10 spots available and about 3 mil in cap space.

Hooker or a half is definitely the spot to look for. If they find a top quality 5/8 or halfback, Flanno jnr can slot into hooker seeing that is why they signed him.

FlickFlano

Juniors
Rev - we dont solve fullback this year, but we need to solve Hooker now. We have lomax who i think is still more than capable of playing 1 for us. Fullback is something with a lot of dollars we could solve at the end of the season for 2026 though.

Turner for a hooker sounds like a must though.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
imo halfback is more important, hunt has max 2 years with us. You need a gun halfback while you can get by with a solid hooker, we already have one in liddle.