What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Tales

Bench
It would be a shame for Schiller next season if he does not get to work with Gags. But there is Leo and KPP to consider here. We will need money for both.

Woody90

Juniors
Will be a shame is he leaves at this point in his career but we’ve made a reasonable offer. We can’t be getting into a bidding war with the Roosters. Their cap doesn’t exist so for them forking out a lot for a 35/36 year old that might not be able to get onto the field is no big deal where that could really hurt us.

Would be nice to see him win a prem but very unlikely the Roosters win one in 2025 or 2026 IMO (more likely than us but that’s not saying much) - they’re in their window this year.

There really needs to be cap concessions for older players coming to the end of their careers that have spent a lot of time at one club. Doesn’t seem right that he finishes his career with the mercenaries.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Im usually pretty critical of what we do but what we’ve offered (1 year with option of a second) seems extremely reasonable to me??? He’ll be 34 before he even starts that contract.

He’s built a bit different tho.
Toughest centre in the game by a county mile

Woody90

Juniors

He’s no doubt tough but he’s already starting to pick up a fair few wear and tear injuries and miss games. Same with Friz. I wish we could keep both playing forever but it is what it is.

Burwood

Bench
Do he qualify for the veteran allowance? NRL guidelines say nine years, which he’s done, but doesn’t mention whether or not that needs to be in the one stint. Either way, I think it’s only a 10% saving.

Woosh

Head Moderator
He’s no doubt tough but he’s already starting to pick up a fair few wear and tear injuries and miss games. Same with Friz. I wish we could keep both playing forever but it is what it is.

I don’t think injuries will be that big of a risk.
The longest he has ever been out injured in his career was for a month when he fractured his cheekbone.
He’s not constantly going down like a Reynolds/Capewell

Woody90

Juniors
I don’t think injuries will be that big of a risk.
The longest he has ever been out injured in his career was for a month when he fractured his cheekbone.
He’s not constantly going down like a Reynolds/Capewell

It’s not the length of injuries for mine but more how frequently they’re starting to happen. I’m never fully confident Gags is going to be in the side these days. At the moment you definitely accept he might not be playing every week to have his experience, but as he gets older the current trend will probably get worse and that’s not great for the consistency of the side.

Reynolds has definitely gone on one year too many IMO.

and still one of the best, with a mile of experience, leadership.

This is something the Roosters are aware of. An old hand to teach a young backline is well worth the money.

If we can't keep him in Newcastle where he's settled with family the Knights management should give emselves an uppercut.

Woody90

Juniors
If we can't keep him in Newcastle where he's settled with family the Knights management should give emselves an uppercut.
Come on now mate, you just pointed out yourself what the Roosters gave Dom.

Our offer for Gags sounds extremely reasonable. If he’s managed to get some nice retirement bonuses from the Roosters then good on him.

We’re doing the right thing. Offering him a contract but going one year at a time given his age.

I feel like Gags will stay. He's lived the big city life already in his time at Souths, he's only got like one, maybe two years left? He's probably just ready to settle down and retire here as a club hero and get ready for life after footy.

Yosh

Coach
Hope Gagai milks the club for all his worth because he is not a waste of cap space. Leaves less space for error. Club should do him right and let him finish at the club with dignity. Pay the man!

Knight Tales

Bench
I do not think Gags leaves. For all the aforementioned reasons. The Roosters are losing huge talent next season. They are not winning a premiership in those two years. .jWH is still the most influential forward in the game. Without him they are not the same side. Leniu not in his postcode.
JWH
Tupou
Manu
JS
Keary
A massive hole.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Hope Gagai milks the club for all his worth because he is not a waste of cap space. Leaves less space for error. Club should do him right and let him finish at the club with dignity. Pay the man!

From all accounts they are tapped out cap-wise in 2025 so I don't think they can pay him even if they want to.

Yeah gags is getting on but if he leaves whoever plays centre in 2025 will be a huge downgrade.

Woody90

Juniors

I feel like either way people won’t be happy.

We’re apparently under huge cap pressure.

What if the difference between ours and the Roosters offer for Gagai could have allowed us to keep Leo or KPP then we end up losing them?

If we did that people would be livid calling it the worst retention screw up of the decade.

Woody90

Juniors
From all accounts they are tapped out cap-wise in 2025 so I don't think they can pay him even if they want to.

Yeah gags is getting on but if he leaves whoever plays centre in 2025 will be a huge downgrade.

Yeah 100%.

In no way would Gags leaving be positive for the squad.

At the same time though what money are people wanting us to pay him with? From all reports it doesn’t exist.

If we go out and offer what the Roosters are able to there will be 100% flow on effects with less we can offer Leo or KPP who would be equally bad loses and much earlier in their careers (that’s even if we can, I get the impression we’ve offered him everything we could but there’s just nothing there - at the end of the day you’ve got to have a top 30).

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
1 year with an optional year on top seems like a good deal to me. This is what the club should be offering. I would hope that he’s settled here and doesn’t want to move his young family and that would be enough for him to stay. He might feel like the draw of a possible premiership is too much to resist but the Roosters won’t be the same outfit next year with the guys they’re losing so I’m not so sure if going there offers that same premiership winning appeal that it used to.

TBH I won’t be surprised either way with this one. Whenever you’re up against the Roosters in the transfer market you’re up against it, even Penrith & Melbourne lose players to them, e.g. Spencer Leniu & Brandon Smith in recent years.

I guess we’ll see what happens…

Latest posts