What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010+11 Jerseys, Logos & Sponsors

fizman

Bench
WTF?!?

I agree totally with this post - why on earth would Penrith want to use colours that coincide with the Sharks colours?

Sure, it's a nice jersey - and FAR better than the mess from this season - but if you remove the panther logo does it say Penrith?

How about a black/brown/tan colour scheme such as the one here:
http://gazzzaf.com/?p=303

Only difference is, instead of a mostly WHITE away jersey I'd have the away jersey tan-coloured.. or even a slightly darker beige shade.

IMO Jerseys should be DISTINCTIVE if possible.. and this does nothing towards that.

As you may or may not know, both Cronulla and Penrith joined the NSWRL in the same year - 1967.

The interesting fact is that Cronulla's representative colours of the day were in fact Brown and Gold (same as Hawthorn) and Penrith's representative colours were wait for it black white and blue!!!

This is not a wind up.

It just so happened that the Board at Cronulla didn't like the colours so they applied to play in black white and blue before Penrith and were granted their wish.

I am not sure why Penrith chose brown and white?? But technically speaking, black white and blue are Penrith's colours.

Last edited:

fizman

Bench
From the Penrith Website:

In 1967, the Penrith Panthers made it - being accepted along with Cronulla-Sutherland, into the Sydney 1st Division Premiership.
As late as 1966 Penrith had played in the 2nd Division wearing blue and white. But on elevation to the top grade they found that Cronulla-Sutherland had already registered blue, white and black. As well, Newtown was playing in royal blue and there was the well-known blue and white strip of Canterbury. So a decision was made to change the colours to brown and white.

Although it says Blue and White there was also some black as well!

flippikat

Bench
As you may or may not know, both Cronulla and Penrith joined the NSWRL in the same year - 1967.

The interesting fact is that Cronulla's representative colours of the day were in fact Brown and Gold (same as Hawthorn) and Penrith's representative colours were wait for it black white and blue!!!

This is not a wind up.

It just so happened that the Board at Cronulla didn't like the colours so they applied to play in black white and blue before Penrith and were granted their wish.

I am not sure why Penrith chose brown and white?? But technically speaking, black white and blue are Penrith's colours.

You do have a point, and I am vaguely familiar with the '67 colour-clash story.. but I guess my emphasis is on the club's history in the top-flight competition.

For the majority of that time (1967-1990), Penrith's colours have been brown and white.. and it is that colour-scheme that is most identifiable with the heritage of the club. So why not have Black/brown/white as a colour scheme?

If necessary, I suppose you could add blue to recognise the pre-1967 club.. but I'm not sure how that could be worked-in. (does anyone know what SHADE of blue Penrith used?)

However, I think a great compromise would be for Penrith and Cronulla to have pre-1967 strips for their heritage round!
Imagine the blue vs the brown & gold. It'd be a nice departure from the usual heritage jerseys for these teams :)

Oh, and on the subject of heritage round jerseys.. isn't it about time we saw some other old designs on display?

For instance, THIS for the bulldogs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canterbury_home_jersey_1969.svg
(regular, thin stripes)

Or THIS for the Tigers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Balmain_home_jersey_1930.svg
(irregular stripes)

Flapper

First Grade
In regards to Tigers heritage round jerseys, I want to see jersey's Balmain and Wests actually wore, as opposed to the two eyesores they have now.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
In regards to Tigers heritage round jerseys, I want to see jersey's Balmain and Wests actually wore, as opposed to the two eyesores they have now.

I agree, they should have one for home and one for away.
The only problem is they could be splitting their market

Juniors
I dont care what Penriths colours are, it still looks like the sharks.
I my old post I said some jerseys are BORING, I didnt say simple or Cluttered i said boring. How many Colour Combos are there...lots. Yet still team colours clash.
As for sponsors, I think many sponsor logos kill the look of the Jerseys, like the Warriors jersey seems to revolve around the vodafone logo

Big Mick

Referee
WTF?!?

I agree totally with this post - why on earth would Penrith want to use colours that coincide with the Sharks colours?

Sure, it's a nice jersey - and FAR better than the mess from this season - but if you remove the panther logo does it say Penrith?

How about a black/brown/tan colour scheme such as the one here:
http://gazzzaf.com/?p=303

Only difference is, instead of a mostly WHITE away jersey I'd have the away jersey tan-coloured.. or even a slightly darker beige shade.

IMO Jerseys should be DISTINCTIVE if possible.. and this does nothing towards that.

Because black/brown/tan are not our OFFICIAL colours.

Black/Rust/Teal are our Official colours.

Your jersey would not be distinctive either as they are not our official colours...

flippikat

Bench
Because black/brown/tan are not our OFFICIAL colours.

Black/Rust/Teal are our Official colours.

Your jersey would not be distinctive either as they are not our official colours...

Yeah, but for a time Blue and white the official colours. (pre-1967)

Then in 1967, Brown and white became the official colours.

Then in 1991, Black, white, red, gold and green.

And now it's Black, White, rust and teal.

The colours change.. and with the history of the team's colours what's to stop it changing again?

My point: At least if the change was to Black/brown/white, it would be a change that combined pre-1991 (brown) and post-1991 (black) eras, and reflect the whole history of the club in the top league.

Change for change's sake is silly
I still have no idea how red/gold/green trim was chosen in 1991.. even though the jersey design was a classic, it was rather random. (Were they trying to corner the rastafarian market?!?)

HOWEVER with some sort of reason grounded in history or tradition, I believe a colour change can work for a club.

Juniors
Still, You guys have colour....the Warriors have slowly sapped the colour out of their Jerseys - looking like every other CCC (Cantabury) styled Jersey. As slick as they look there is not much character to them.

A thought.
If a new team came into the NRL, what colours could they use?
If the Bears came back they would use black and red.
What about other teams
- Yellow, Green - Yellow, Black - Orange - Green, Blue?
What Mascot would they have?

_snafu_

Immortal
I don't care what anyone says, but this would have to be the ugliest jersey going around...

away-jersey.jpg

Did Ken Done design it?

flippikat

Bench
Still, You guys have colour....the Warriors have slowly sapped the colour out of their Jerseys - looking like every other CCC (Cantabury) styled Jersey. As slick as they look there is not much character to them.

A thought.
If a new team came into the NRL, what colours could they use?
If the Bears came back they would use black and red.
What about other teams
- Yellow, Green - Yellow, Black - Orange - Green, Blue?
What Mascot would they have?

Red & Black is a gimme for the Bears - I think it's a reasonable bet.

I think a red/gold colour scheme for the Perth Reds is a good idea.. gold for the desert, red for the red kangaroo. Black can be put in the mix too. It'd be a similar scheme to Adelaide Crows (AFL), and most German sports teams.. not to mention Waikato teams here in NZ (eg Super-14's Chiefs).

I think a black & yellow colour scheme could be a go as well.. (amber or bumblebee yellow..) - it's a combination that'd be distinctive in the NRL.. only possibly clashing with the Eels. Wellington and Taranaki representitive teams use those colours here in NZ.

Souths are the only team that uses a dark green, but with red.. so a dark green with blue, or black, or white could be possible without much clash (and anyway, most teams have white "away" jerseys anyway).

So anyway.. there's plenty of scope for new team colours in the NRL. And that's without going into radical departures like pastel shades, or hot pink, or magenta.

Knightmare

Coach
The Warriors are a soulless club- how many colour changes have they had since their inception? First their colours were white, green, blue and red, then in 2001 they changed it to black white blue red, then in 2003 they went with black and silver (best colours yet IMO) and now this year they are wearing black and white. Is it any wonder they struggle for an identity, not least dropping 'Auckland' from their name back in 2001?

As for Penrith's away jersey, strangely enough I liked it. The jagged lines looked as though a Panther had attacked it, which is very appropriate for Penrith's jersey. Still think the chocolate soldiers would be a better away jersey but!

Choppies

Coach
I quite like Penriffs away jerseys. They're different. Penrith away jerseys are really out of left field. Adds a bit of variety IMO.

flippikat

Bench
The Warriors are a soulless club- how many colour changes have they had since their inception? First their colours were white, green, blue and red, then in 2001 they changed it to black white blue red, then in 2003 they went with black and silver (best colours yet IMO) and now this year they are wearing black and white. Is it any wonder they struggle for an identity, not least dropping 'Auckland' from their name back in 2001?

Agree 100%

The Blue/white/red/green was a combination of traditional Auckland rep colours (blue/white) with the sponsor's colours (DB Bitter red/green)

Black/white/blue/red had some promise - only I would have gone without the red (it's never been a colour associated with Auckland!).

Black/silver & Black/white look ok, but I'm not a great fan of them because they blur the line between the Warriors and the Kiwis - especially when the team is called the "New Zealand Warriors".

If a 2nd NZ-based team is included in the NRL, I hope that they change the name back to Auckland.. like the Roar in the A-League.. they changed their name from Queensland to Brisbane once the Gold Coast and NQ sides came in.

Latest posts