What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R2 | Sat | Knights 14-20 Storm | EnergyAustralia

Result: Knights v Storm

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
2010info-r2nwcmel.jpg

2010teams-nwc-main.jpg

Shannon McDonnell, Akuila Uate, Wes Naiqama, Adam MacDougall, Cooper Vuna, Jarrod Mullen, Scott Dureau
Ben Cross, Matt Hilder, Evarn Tuimavave, Steve Simpson, Cory Paterson, Mark Taufua

Interchange: Isaac De Gois, Daniel Tolar, Richie Fa'aoso, Zeb Taia
Reserves: Cameron Ciraldo

2010teams-mel-alt.jpg

Billy Slater, Luke MacDougall, Dane Nielsen, Greg Inglis, Anthony Quinn, Brett Finch, Cameron Smith (c)
Aiden Tolman, Ryan Hinchcliffe, Jeff Lima, Adam Blair, Kevin Proctor, Todd Lowrie

Interchange: Rory Kostjasyn, Ryan Tandy, Hep Cahill, Jesse Bromwich

ref-pink.jpg

Referees
Steve Lyons & Alan Shortall
Sideline Officials: Dan Eastwood & Ricky MacFarlane
Video Referee: Russell Smith

Toyota Cup Round 2
Knights v Storm @ EnergyAustralia, Sat 5:15pm

NSW Cup Round 2
Central Coast (NWC) v Wentworthville (PAR) @ EnergyAustralia, Sat 3:15pm
Melbourne (MEL) v Canterbury (CBY) @ Princes Park, Sat 3:00pm

nrl2010-r2nwcmel.jpg

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
knights by 14. melbourne will need to play 1000% better to beat us at home based on their performance at shark park. hopefully we have maddog back to mark inglis... he has shut him down well in the past.

i think the knights forward pack will be extremely dominant against the storm.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
knights by 14. melbourne will need to play 1000% better to beat us at home based on their performance at shark park. hopefully we have maddog back to mark inglis... he has shut him down well in the past.

i think the knights forward pack will be extremely dominant against the storm.

sh*t !!!

Extremely dominant. Looks like we're in big f*n trouble.

Knights will probably win this, especially with Bellamy persisting with Cam at 7 :)x).

I hope im wrong though (duh).

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Hope we turn up with similar enthusiasm and attention to detail that we did on Saturday night. There is a bit of a danger of a let-down after the good first-up performance, but hopefully Stone has the boys switched on, first home game of the year, big crowd. Bring it on!

perverse

Referee
yeah, the main danger for the knights is putting this week behind them and getting on with it next week. there's a good chance we'll be flat after such a spirited performance, too.

if we turn up like we did against the dogs i can't see us having too much trouble. both of these teams love playing against each other, we've had some absolutely thrilling matches over the past 2 or 3 years... so i'm thinking it's going to be an absolute blockbuster.

Jono078

Referee
Can't wait for this.

Should be good game once again, sucks Junior Sau wont be there, he seems to have monster games against the Storm in his few games he's played them.

Obviously the Dogs were really sh*t and we were really good, this should be a better test for us.

Feeling good about it though :)

Lowdown

Juniors
Storm by 8.

They will be better for the run against the Sharks. The Storm always start the season with scratchy but workmanlike performances.

Look back over the last few years and you'll see they never explode out of the blocks.

Traditionally we struggle away in Newcastle, but class finds a way to rise to the top. There's plenty of improvement to be made.

A lot of combinations looked a little rusty - in particular Cam and Finch. This should continue to improve - and without Gidley I think Newcastle will struggle against a tight defensive unit like the Storm.

Jono078

Referee
That class that rises to the top... The Storm still have that?

Their back line doesn't look as threatening these days, and you'd wouldn't be able to name the bench any more as well.

Noa

First Grade
That class that rises to the top... The Storm still have that?

Their back line doesn't look as threatening these days, and you'd wouldn't be able to name the bench any more as well.

The first line is too stupid to argue with.

As for the bench, second half of the year, when the race-heats up, the 14-17 will read.

Hinchcliffe
Sika Manu
Jeff Lima
Kevin Proctor

... so you get your early season thrills while you can ;-).

Jono078

Referee
The first line is too stupid to argue with.

As for the bench, second half of the year, when the race-heats up, the 14-17 will read.

Hinchcliffe
Sika Manu
Jeff Lima
Kevin Proctor

... so you get your early season thrills while you can ;-).
Not doubting their class overall, but for the squad that plays us it's arguable.

And therefore the phrase the class will rise to the top doesn't really count for this game :)

skeepe

Immortal
The Storm were pretty unconvincing last week. Slater was shut down well, by Cronulla of all teams.

Mullen's kicking game against the Bulldogs was brilliant, and it was coupled with a great kick chase that nullified the Bulldogs back three really well.

Slater may be a different proposition to Luke Patten, but give him a bit of rough treatment early on and he loses his temper, which detracts from his game.

If the Knights forwards can maintain the rage for another week, I don't think the Storm pack will have an answer.

Knights by 8.

perverse

Referee
:| Has someone hacked into skeepe's account?
wow... getting sick of reading this one liner...

and speaking of class rising to the top... you can expect more hell from our back row (which will quickly gain a reputation as one of - if not the best - in the NRL this year). Paterson, Simpson and Taia laid on all sorts of class against the dogs... not to mention Taufua finding his niche at lock... and we still have Hilder to drop back into the lock position. an absolute embarrassment of riches.

personally i'm hoping simpson drops into the front row at some stage this season to allow us to play them all at the same time.

Butters

Bench
Melbourne 30-0

It's hilarious reading the Newcastle forum atm. Everyone in there's wanking themselves into a frenzy over a round 1 win. If the Knights go into this game with the same attitude as their fans they're going to be monstered.

Jono078

Referee
You think we think this will be an easy game? :lol:

This is just about the same team that was in the top 8 last season and also beat Melbourne then..

Then you add Tuimavave, Cross and Tolar, they are just about new signings since none played much last year.

I hope the Storm have the same attitude as you, still thinking we will be a push over team.

Butters

Bench
you can expect more hell from our back row (which will quickly gain a reputation as one of - if not the best - in the NRL this year).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA 1 game into the season and you've got the best backrow in the NRL. :lol:

skeepe

Immortal
It's not the best, but it's pretty damn good. Taia is an exceptional player, Simpson seemed to find some of his early 2000's form, and Taufua, while an unknown quantity, showed plenty of good signs.

The big test will be once De Gois comes back... I think Matt Hilder weakens the team, and if he is preferred at lock instead of Taufua it would be a mistake.

Biasedly though, I still rate a back row of Learoyd-Lahrs, Harrison and Tongue as much, much better.

That said, Newcastle's back row is far superior to the one Melbourne will field this week, particularly with no Hoffman, who I'm assuming will miss at least one week.