What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R2 | Sun | Roosters 44-32 Tigers | SFS

Result : Roosters v Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I am interested to see how the Tigers bounce back.. Lui has to go.. Completely ineffectual.. Moltzen needs to be closer to the action. I would put Benji at 7, Moltzen 5/8.. Maybe try Lote at Fullback with Ryan on the Wing if fit...

Why can opposition fans even see it but our stubborn, arrogant "supercoach" not?

Benji will remain in the #6 shirt, but he plays halfback anyway. He played halfback all of last year, even when he switched back to the #6, it was just to take media pressure off him.

Lote at fullback is a must, I can't endure another game watching Moltzen walk sideways on kick returns and dog it in defence. Very good player, not a f**king fullbacks arsehole.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Why can opposition fans even see it but our stubborn, arrogant "supercoach" not?

Benji will remain in the #6 shirt, but he plays halfback anyway. He played halfback all of last year, even when he switched back to the #6, it was just to take media pressure off him.

Lote at fullback is a must, I can't endure another game watching Moltzen walk sideways on kick returns and dog it in defence. Very good player, not a f**king fullbacks arsehole.

Moltzen has class without any doubt.. He can put opposition defenses in two minds when carrying the ball to the line but looks lost at Fullback.. I was sceptical about Lote returning but the signs are good.. We know for one he is quicker than Merritt :lol: but he really ran with purpose.. I hope he can stay injury free..

natheel

Coach
benji is playing well at 6 wat about Moltzen at 7? keep tuqiri on the wing but i dont know who tiges have to take the fullback role?

natheel

Coach
I don't see why so many people are bagging out the Roosters for letting in 32.

yeh especially against a side like tigers who can score points from anywhere if u clock off for a bit, but smith will have them working this week with alot of emphasis on defence coz hes just like that very strict coach haha did it with parra and knights

im starting to see resemblances of the knights when smith started there and how they picked up alot.

You know your team is doing well when you see some of the comments posted over the weekend. My favorite is, we have a 'favorable draw'. It doesn't matter that before round 1, most of you would've penciled us in as the underdog in all of those games.
Stop taking Gabba pills people.

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
This is a bit irrelevant, What if this and that, those hypotheticals are pretty baseless. It's relative across the comp when your props are out, you're going to have to blood youngsters and 2nd rowers in there cause it's not like teams have an assembly line of good experienced props. Conn has been playing front row, doing great, JWH and Martin Kennedy are front-rowers.
How is it irrelevant? I said your forward depth is pathetic, then supplied an argument supporting it. FPN and Paea are not your standard starting front line props to begin with, even before a ball is kicked off in the season you have a weak front row and very little depth to cover it.

Maybe because Ryles was struggling throughout the game. Did you not see him on the sidelines with the trainer?
He was struggling well before he came off with the trainer, and it didn't look injury related.

That's your opinion, Agree to disagree. Sorry not all of us have as great a defense as the Dragons.
Anything anyone posts here is just "their opinion" and we can't have as good attack as a few other teams in the comp, it's hardly relevant to my comments though. Defence like the Roosters displayed yesterday will see the decent teams in the comp carve them up.

Injuries are already hurting us now, and so would fatigue given the temperatures we're playing in.
Yet again just emphasizing the points I've made.

Btw we have tough opposition in the first 10 rounds, Rabbitohs, Broncos, Dragons, Bulldogs, Knights and probably Panthers, i'd say there good shouts to make top 8 but RL is a funny game, anyone can make the 8.
Only the dogs and dragons will make the 8 of the draw you face. Cowboys, Broncos, Knights (once the we aren't drugcastle fightback bubble bursts) are not top teams.

You sound quite wary, which is normal though i'd be worried about us because we're clocking up good performances and not even fully clicking yet with such a new side, player and coaching wise.
I'm not wary of anything. You play like you did against the tigers or the rabbitohs and we'll beat you by 20. But round 7 is a long way away and alot can happen between then and now. I've just seen nothing from the roosters to suggest that they won't be opened up through the middle like they did last year, the only thing that has changed is their attack which means little if you can't defend your scores, irrespective of how big they may be. To play two teams with a completion rate of ~60-65% and still concede an average of 21 points per game is pretty damn ordinary.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
How is it irrelevant? I said your forward depth is pathetic, then supplied an argument supporting it. FPN and Paea are not your standard starting front line props to begin with, even before a ball is kicked off in the season you have a weak front row and very little depth to cover it.

Our forward pack is fine. Not up there with the best but better than a fair few, and had no problems containing "the best pack in the comp" last week.
Front row we have FPN, Paea, Ryles, Daniel Conn, Marty Kennedy. With JWH to return in 2-3 weeks.

It would take 2 more injuries at the same time in the front row for us to be in real trouble.

To play two teams with a completion rate of ~60-65% and still concede an average of 21 points per game is pretty damn ordinary.

lol, pulling an average from 2 rounds. thoroughly pointless stat, much like its pointless to point at that we're first after 2 rounds ;-) Hey, last week our average was 10!

mightyboy

Juniors
lol, pulling an average from 2 rounds. thoroughly pointless stat, much like its pointless to point at that we're first after 2 rounds ;-) Hey, last week our average was 10!

On average, after these first two rounds, we'll win every game this year and finish well on top of the table :D

On average, Pearce will score 52 tries in the regular season alone!

On average, Merrit will drop the ball when in space and on his way to the tryline every second week!

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Our forward pack is fine. Not up there with the best but better than a fair few, and had no problems containing "the best pack in the comp" last week.
Front row we have FPN, Paea, Ryles, Daniel Conn, Marty Kennedy. With JWH to return in 2-3 weeks.
Conn or JWH in the front row? I'd love to see that lol.

It would take 2 more injuries at the same time in the front row for us to be in real trouble.
It'll only take a team who's willing to take it to the Roosters up the middle and have halves that can actually maintain pressure. Roosters have still conceded 1300m and missed 30 tackles in each game against teams who were incredibly ordinary in terms of building pressure and getting to their kicks. They're not exactly impressive stats.

That's all we've got to go on at this point, hey why are we even discussing the footy at this point, its way too early to form an opinion right? I just used stats to support an opinion that the Roosters are legless in defence, in particular around the ruck.

Playing the brand of footy the Roosters are has only gotten the Tigers into the finals once in a decade, but don't get me wrong, I'll be watching all the Roosters games this year because they are exciting to watch.

Last edited:

Tom Ace

Bench
Conn or JWH in the front row? I'd love to see that lol.

It'll only take a team who's willing to take it to the Roosters up the middle and have halves that can actually maintain pressure. Roosters have still conceded 1300m and missed 30 tackles in each game against teams who were incredibly ordinary in terms of building pressure and getting to their kicks. They're not exactly impressive stats.

That's all we've got to go on at this point, hey why are we even discussing the footy at this point, its way too early to form an opinion right? I just used stats to support an opinion that the Roosters are legless in defence, in particular around the ruck.

Playing the brand of footy the Roosters are has only gotten the Tigers into the finals once in a decade, but don't get me wrong, I'll be watching all the Roosters games this year because they are exciting to watch.

Wrong

" The Cowboys missed the most tackles in the round, 46 all up, while the reigning wooden spoon Roosters missed just 17 to be the most effective in defence. Warrior James Maloney wears the unwanted tag of most misses with eight."

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...ound-1-an-early-finals-indicator/default.aspx

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Wrong

" The Cowboys missed the most tackles in the round, 46 all up, while the reigning wooden spoon Roosters missed just 17 to be the most effective in defence. Warrior James Maloney wears the unwanted tag of most misses with eight."

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...ound-1-an-early-finals-indicator/default.aspx
Not according to the score... And certainly not based on what was reported in both the telecast and from viewing the game.

snapshot2zs.png

snapshot1m.png

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Fair enough, maybe the nrl.com article was bs.

An interesting comparison however might be Roosters vs some other sides
Team R1 R2
Roosters 29 30
Dragons 23 23
Eels 36 32
Storm 23 33
Bulldogs 38 37
Cowboys 46 26

Other than a stellar defensive effort from the Dragons so far, we are pretty much on par, and slightly better than some of the other top teams.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Fair enough, maybe the nrl.com article was bs.

An interesting comparison however might be Roosters vs some other sides
Team R1 R2
Roosters 29 30
Dragons 23 23
Eels 36 32
Storm 23 33
Bulldogs 38 37
Cowboys 46 26

Other than a stellar defensive effort from the Dragons so far, we are pretty much on par, and slightly better than some of the other top teams.
I'm not disputing anything you've said there. I just want to see the Roosters come up against a side that will test them up the middle before I jump on the "they're an awesome side" bandwagon. They've played garbage opposition and still looked very vulnerable at times. For the record, I believe Roosters will make the 8 because they can blow teams off the park, but if they get stuck in an arm wrestle 9 times out of 10 they'll lose from what I've seen. In saying that, it's round 2, so every team has plenty of improvement in them.

adamkungl

Immortal
ANZAC Day will give us a real indication of where we're at. Given how we've started the season and who we're playing up until then, I'd be disappointed to drop a game before

Firey_Dragon

Coach
ANZAC Day will give us a real indication of where we're at. Given how we've started the season and who we're playing up until then, I'd be disappointed to drop a game before
It's shaping up to be a cracker. I can't wait till it comes around. I doubt we'll be undefeated by then having to play the Titans and Storm away we'll probably drop at least one game there.

Latest posts