What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 | R1 | Fri | Broncos 14-22 Sea Eagles | Suncorp

Round 1: Broncos v Sea Eagles

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
2013-r1nrlbriman.jpg

TELEVISION Live on Channel 9 in NSW, QLD, ACT & NT | Live on GEM in WA/SA/TAS/VIC
RADIO Live on Triple M Brisbane | LIVE on 2GB Sydney + Network

2013teams-bri-main.jpg

1. Corey Norman
2. Josh Hoffman 3. Jack Reed 4. Justin Hodges 5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Scott Prince 7. Peter Wallace
8. Josh McGuire 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Sam Thaiday
11. Alex Glenn 12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

Interchange: 14. Ben Hunt 15. Ben Hannant 16. Mitchell Dodds 17. David Stagg
Reserves: 18. Scott Anderson

2013teams-man-alt.jpg

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jorge Taufua 3. Jamie Lyon 4. Steve Matai 5. David Williams
6. Kieran Foran 7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Brenton Lawrence 9. Matt Ballin 10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough 12. Justin Horo
13. Jamie Buhrer

Interchange: 14. Richie Fa'aoso 15. Joe Galuvao 16. David Gower 17. Jesse Sene-Lefao
Reserves: 19. Peta Hiku 22. George Rose

2013teams-ref-pink.jpg

Referees
Shayne Hayne and Alan Shortall
Sideline Officials: Russell Turner and Chris Butler
Video Referees: Paul Mellor and Neil Wharton

Holden Cup U20s Round 1
Broncos v Sea Eagles @ Suncorp, 5:50pm AEDT (4:50pm local time)

No QRL Intrust Super Cup - Round 1 kicks off next week

VB NSW Cup Round 1
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles (MAN) v Auckland Vulcans (WAR) @ Brookvale Oval, Sat 3:00pm

nrl-r1briman.jpg

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Bring it the f**k on. The Broncos at home, with Glen Stewart M.I.A, should get up in a close one. Prince will work his magic.

Broncs by 6.

_Johnsy

Referee
Bring it the f**k on. The Broncos at home, with Glen Stewart M.I.A, should get up in a close one. Prince will work his magic.

Broncs by 6.

:lol::lol::lol:

Refer to season 2012. When you are relying on Prince to deliver magic, you know you are in trouble. Tough to tip, manly by 4 in a tight one.

Misanthrope

Staff member
The fortress to continue to crumble. Manly to win it easy after a tense first half.

30-12

Big Pete

Referee
That's an interesting line-up from the Broncos and not one I would expect from Griffin.

Last year, the Broncos really seemed to embody a safety first gameplan, which worked for two thirds of the season but when it came crunch time they didn't have that extra gear in them to break out of that funk. With Norman's selection at fullback it signifies that Hook is looking to play a more expansive brand of football that could very well be the missing tonic.

It's a risky proposition though. From my understanding, Norman spent the majority of the pre-season looking to develop his game at five eigth. He wouldn't have had the time working on his positioning at fullback or being able to defuse opposition's kicks - which was his major weakness in his prior stints. I could very well be wrong as I never set foot in Red Hill during the pre-season but based on what I've been told there is room to be skeptical.

Similar concerns can be raised at Hoffman's selection on the wing. Hoffman ended up having a very unhappy 2012 and honestly I think his worst game was on the wing against Melbourne where he gave up two crucial tries. You would think the shift from fullback to the wing would be one of the easiest in Rugby League, yet it's amazing to see how many players struggle to cope out wide. To me, it's a sign of how weak the Broncos depth is out-wide, especially after the injuries to Yow Yeh & Copley and it gives the Sea Eagles an incentive to bomb freely to that side of the field.

Battle of the forwards should be very interesting. Like their backline, it appears the Broncos are going for an all-out assault by naming Thaiday at prop & Gillett in the backrow. It's certainly bold and if nothing else gives Broncos fans something to look forward to.

Game itself should be a lot of fun. Broncos celebrate their 25th anniversary by facing the club they made a name for themselves against. It's fair to say they have more to play for but generally in games like this they usually don't prosper. Still, it's Round 1 so the form guide completely goes out the window.

As a Broncos fan I've got to back my side, Brisbane by 4 in a tight engrossing match.

ceagle

Bench
We have a good record up in Brisbane, but thats all thats really going for us though

Last edited:

SaraSassypants

Juniors
These games always tend to be close. I'm picking Broncos by two but wouldn't be surprised to see Manly win it by 2. Can't see a blowout score.