What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 WC | Group C | Tonga 24-26 Scotland | Workington

Group C: Tonga v Scotland

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

TON_zpse5f54250.jpg

1. Glen Fisiiahi
2. Daniel Tupou 3. Jorge Taufua 4. Konrad Hurrell 5. Sosaia Feki
6. Samisoni Langi 7. Daniel Foster
8. Brent Kite 9. Siliva Havili 10. Fuifui Moimoi
11. Sika Manu 12. Jason Taumalolo
13. Willie Manu

Interchange: 14. Nafe Seluini 15. Ben Murdoch-Masila 16. Ukuma Ta’ai 17. Mickey Paea
Reserves: 18. Siosaia Vave 19. Suiatonga Likiliki

ScotRL_zps9cdf6f75.jpg

19-man squad:
Danny Addy, Danny Brough (c), Brett Carter, Luke Douglas, Dale Ferguson,
Ben Fisher, Ben Hellewell, Ian Henderson, Alex Hurst, Ben Kavanagh,
Kane Linnett, Brett Phillips, Matthew Russell, David Scott, Mitchell Stringer,
Alex Szostak, Adam Walker, Peter Wallace, Oliver Wilkes

Referee
Shayne Hayne (AUS)
Touch Judges: Warren Turley (ENG) & Matthew Thomason (ENG)
Video Referee: Ashley Klein (AUS)​

Last edited:

Puntastic

Juniors
Plenty of experience in the forwards, and the backline is quality.

Havili has been part of a very successful NZ u20s side, Langi was 5/8th of the year and Foster captained the premiers. If they can keep steady and get the ball to their backs, they should win.

aqua_duck

Coach
That Tongan backline is better than what most NRL teams put out each week, Scotland won't be able to stop Taumalolo if he's on

Tonga will thrash Scotland, as aqua duck said, Tongan backline is damm good and it's not like Tongan don't have a good forward pack.Could get ugly in a hurry for the Scots.

marv

Juniors
tonga look so strong there. However I think Scotland could be this competition's surprise. Everybody knows about Wallace and Brough, the Henderson's e.t.c but Scotland have some game forwards like Oli Wilkes and big Mitch Stringer who will need to go all day to stop the Tongans. Fitness was an issue for the big Island boys last WC as they are often not 80 minute players.

If Scotland can turn these guys round and round with a varied kicking game they have a chance, if the Tongans get a roll on, they win with all that power.

Its gonna be my third game live in three days, but one I'm looking forward too very much.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
tonga look so strong there. However I think Scotland could be this competition's surprise. Everybody knows about Wallace and Brough, the Henderson's e.t.c but Scotland have some game forwards like Oli Wilkes and big Mitch Stringer who will need to go all day to stop the Tongans. Fitness was an issue for the big Island boys last WC as they are often not 80 minute players.

If Scotland can turn these guys round and round with a varied kicking game they have a chance, if the Tongans get a roll on, they win with all that power.

Its gonna be my third game live in three days, but one I'm looking forward too very much.

Very true. I hope the Scots are all over that.

Nuke

Staff member
Tonga should win and win easy. That said, my grandmother was Scottish, so I've always had a soft spot for them. I'll be cheering for them.

morningstar

Juniors
Scotland 19 man squad for Tuesday...

http://www.scotlandrl.com/article/11077/scotland-name-19-for-tonga

Scotland coach Steve McCormack has named his 19-man squad ahead of their RLWC2013 opener against Tonga on Tuesday. Peter Wallace will make his Bravehearts debut while Super League players Danny Addy (Bradford), Ben Kavanagh (Widnes), and NRL recruits Matt Russell and Luke Douglas (Gold Coast Titans) and Kane Linnett (North Queensland Cowboys) will play in their first full internationals, having debuted in the friendly against Papua New Guinea last Saturday.

The squad will be reduced to 17 for the game.

Scotland (in alphabetical order):

Danny Addy (Bradford Bulls)
Danny Brough (Huddersfield Giants) captain
Brett Carter (Workington Town)
Luke Douglas (Gold Coast Titans)
Dale Ferguson (Huddersfield Giants)
Ben Fisher (London Broncos)
Ben Hellewell (Featherstone Rovers)
Ian Henderson (Catalans Dragons)
Alex Hurst (London Broncos)
Ben Kavanagh (Widnes Vikings)
Kane Linnett (North Queensland Cowboys)
Brett Phillips (Workington Town)
Matthew Russell (Gold Coast Titans)
David Scott (Featherstone Rovers)
Mitchell Stringer (Sheffield Eagles)
Alex Szostak (Sheffield Eagles)
Adam Walker (Hull KR)
Peter Wallace (Brisbane Broncos)
Oliver Wilkes (Wakefield Trinity)

NB: Where players have signed for different clubs for 2014, their 2013 club is listed.

morningstar

Juniors
Wet track on a cold night in Cumbria, with Danny Brough as the opposition halfback and no warm up game? Don't forsee a thrashing at all. Think Tonga will win, but it's going to be a hard night for Tonga being turned round and having to bring the ball back from deep in their own half most sets. Will be two very contrasting sides, cant wait to see what it delivers!

newman

First Grade
Wet track on a cold night in Cumbria, with Danny Brough as the opposition halfback and no warm up game? Don't forsee a thrashing at all. Think Tonga will win, but it's going to be a hard night for Tonga being turned round and having to bring the ball back from deep in their own half most sets. Will be two very contrasting sides, cant wait to see what it delivers!

Good post. I never really thought about that at all.

Springs

First Grade
Be interesting to see how this game goes. Scotland are so far ahead in the halves/hookers it's not funny, while Tonga is the same in forwards and outside backs.

I'd really like Scotland to finish top of their group, but a NZ-Tonga Quarter Final would be amazing after last night.