What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I don't think non victorians should be having a go at the Storm and their 14k crowd when a Sydney team could only get 13k into a big stadium on a weekend where it was the only game in Sydney. 'glass houses' and all that...

so have you gotten onboard the storm after souffs came 2nd in the also-rans?

me thinks so after your tweet yesterday..

Bunniesman's Twitter said:
The Melbourne cheerleaders have the sexiest outfits,the Storm are number 1 on so many levels...

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
so have you gotten onboard the storm after souffs came 2nd in the also-rans?

me thinks so after your tweet yesterday..
images

Loudstrat

Coach
weak argument.

melbourne have what is known as the "big 4" in the afl - teams who have the biggest supporter base of any club, and usually the biggest rivalries.

the big 4 include collingwood, carlton, essendon and hawthorn.

two of the big 4 were playing each other in a 90,000 seat stadium across the road from where the drizzle were playing..
3.5 million - 90k = 3.41 million.
Of course, half of the Storm fans in Victoria are really AFL fans.
back a couple of years ago when they had a stand-alone game on, they packed out etihad stadium..
Eels fans travel in semi finals. Ask Easts. And 33k in a 50k seater isnt packed out even if Nick Politis is counting.
add to that the wallabies playing in the world cup (albeit on TV)..

there is only so much sport that can go around..
Add to that the mountain bike challenge in Finland on SBS, the Thai kickboxing on Foxtel, Box Hill veterans vs Dandenong RSL lawn bowls annual challenge, plus Movie One was showing Rocky IV

All this talk about sporting capital is forgetting SEQld?
Yes -the wooden spoon and collapsed clubs capital of the world.

TBF it was a disappointing crowd. Don't know what the publicity was like for it but we should be aiming for 20k min for all finals games if we want to be taken seriously.
Wow! Great post. Surprised that you are not calling for the axing of 8 Sydney clubs though, but at least you are on the money. Well done!

Last edited:
This is what happens when Melbourne gets League shown live on TV - they don't turn up to the game.

Maybe now they will stop whinging about TV deals and start supporting the game by leaving the house.

big_matt

Juniors
So it's finals fever in the NRL...or is it. Only ONE AFL game going on, and the best you can do is 14,800... supporting the ONE team that represents your entire city in the NRL after the Victorian Government spent millions of dollars creating you a first-class Rugby League facility?

Sporting capital of the world my arse!

Hahaha.

This is the biggest fail of an original post ever seen on a messageboard.

I could point out that the 'only one' AFL game had a higher crowd than the whole of sydney normally has for league on any given weekend.

Or I could point out that the storm crowd was higher than the finals crowd in Sydney for Manly the previous day (oh wait, manly fans have to travel for 45 mins and storm fans all live right next door to aami park. I forgot.).

Or I could point out all the other issues with your post.

But you are obviously a total f*ckwit and I don't have time to waste.

Loudstrat

Coach
This is what happens when Melbourne gets League shown live on TV - they don't turn up to the game.

Maybe now they will stop whinging about TV deals and start supporting the game by leaving the house.

So it was shown live, like all the whingers have wanted, and it decimated the crowd?

Proves that Gallop has been right in not forcing 9 to televise into Melbourne. There would be even less than the pathetic crowds they already get.

Didgi

It's Bulldog Force, if you expected anything he posts to have an ounce of sense then the joke is on you.

Evolution

Juniors
So it was shown live, like all the whingers have wanted, and it decimated the crowd?

Proves that Gallop has been right in not forcing 9 to televise into Melbourne. There would be even less than the pathetic crowds they already get.

Pathetic crowds are you talking about Parramatta now?
I mean a club that has been around since 1947 and in all that time can only manage on average a whole 904 extra people per game than the Storm do. Now for a simple breakdown of Parramatta’s crowd average for 2011.
A total of 138,361 in 8 games against Sydney based teams with an average of 17,295 per game.
A total of 43,435 in 4 games against interstate teams with an average of 10,859 per game.
The storm had a total of 170,952 in 12 games against interstate teams with an average of 14,256 per game.
Now seeing as though all Storm games are against interstate teams removing the advantage of travelling fans the only fair comparison is between games played against interstate teams. That shows the storm average 3397 more people per game than Parramatta a team that has been around for 51 more years in the heartland of rugby league.
So really you are right Parramatta’s crowds are pathetic and by your admission if the NRL is right not to force channel 9 to televise games against the gate in Melbourne all Parramatta’s games should have delayed coverage into Sydney as well.
Oh and finally yes I am aware that there are 8 other NRL teams in Sydney as well as 1 AFL, 1 A league team and 1 Super rugby team. But at the same time the Storm compete against 9 AFL teams in Melbourne, 2 A league teams and 1 super 14 team.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/2011.html

azza29

Juniors

The push was to have the AWAY games shown live.

Yet amazingly they still got more than the Syd final...supposed RL heartland..
You poor geriatric fool..Its not the NSWRL anymore ,no matter how much you wish it was...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Plus the more you show games the bigger the interest grows, the more people get into RL and the more people will go along to games. Showing one off games is detrimental but showing games every week will lead to bigger crowds.

eozsmiles

Bench
It's not really surprising that the two weakest games drew the smallest crowds. Saturday night kicked off at 830pm which is a death knell for crowds in general. And the Sunday game didn't look to offer much in the way of entertainment or contest. These games had the two shortest priced favourites of the weekend indicating we'd get one sided matches. One kicked off late against an out of town team and the "home" team is located an hour or more from the ground, longer by public transport. The other game was in the Melbourne and had a small club visiting, not a big drawing club like Dragons or Souths. Neither game was sudden death for the home team. I'm surprised the TV ratings were as good as they were.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The other game was in the Melbourne and had a small club visiting, not a big drawing club like Dragons or Souths.

:crazy:

souffs can't even get their members to a home game... how the hell would they be a big draw in melbourne?

LESStar58

Referee

I think this is a competition wide issue to be honest. All clubs and the NRL need to come up with a way of making the footy a bit more affordable.