What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'14 // Origin I // Wed 28 // QLD 8-12 NSW // Suncorp

Origin I: Maroons or Blues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swarzey

Bench
Hoppa and they'll probably go with Taufua. If McManus can get his form back, he could be a shot but I don't see anyone else right now than Taufua

souths_pride

Juniors
Here's a link to the Laws of the Game 2014 http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/NRL%20Rules%20book%202013FINAL.pdf

Have a read and tell me where it states "a player can't jump up just to get in other players' way"
As is my understanding jumping up and not making a serious attempt at the ball is a form of obstruction which is outlined on page. 38 "(j) deliberately obstructs an opponent who is not in
possession."
A player jumping up to contest a ball is NOT in possession of it and although not specifically mentioned common sense should tell you that a player who is not contesting the ball must be obstructing; what else could he be possibly be doing in the air? In other words your either contesting the ball or your interfering with a jumper. Unofficially speaking the way video referees determine whether a player is making a serious attempt to catch the ball is they look at the eyes of the player..if hes jumped up and his eyes are focused the ball then thats fine..but if hes jumped up and he looking directly at another player or not at the ball then its obstruction. To be fair to you...I think that it should be outlined a bit better in conjunction with the 'passing movement obstructions" and the elaborate diagrams that accompany it.

souths_pride

Juniors
Serious???? Why would it be a penalty?? Was there any contact with Slater or a touch on the ball by Hayne??

I believe its classified as a form of obstruction..I explained it all in my previous post. The rules of obstruction state that you cannot deliberate obstruct a player who is not in possession of the ball. Its just that everyone these days associates obstruction with passing movements, decoy runners etc. However, according to the NRL rules there are a few forms of obstruction and denying a player contesting the ball in the air a fair opportunity to catch the ball is one of them.

T.S Quint

Coach
He had a fair opportunity to catch the ball.
Hayne didn't interfere with Slater or the ball. There was no obstruction.

souths_pride

Juniors
No offence, but Sutton is no chance, surely.

If Josh Reynolds was to miss game two (which he obviously wont now)..then based on PRESENT FORM..Id say that Sutton should be next in line..after all he was 18th man last year so Daley obviously rates him high enough to have brought him into camp before. In saying that the other option who is Mullen is far too inconsistent..he'll kick a 40/20 and his following kick will go out on the full by miles. However, I still get this horrible feeling that Daley will look for any excuse to get Maloney and Pearce back in there even if they are out of form!

souths_pride

Juniors
He had a fair opportunity to catch the ball.
Hayne didn't interfere with Slater or the ball. There was no obstruction.

The referees obviously agreed with you..the channel 9 commentators didn't! I'm not making out its the worst decision in history...I'm just stating that it was a decision that went NSW's way that on another day could have gone the other way.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If Josh Reynolds was to miss game two (which he obviously wont now)..then based on PRESENT FORM..Id say that Sutton should be next in line..after all he was 18th man last year so Daley obviously rates him high enough to have brought him into camp before.

That terrible logic would actually fall to James Maloney, who was STARTING five-eighth last year. Sutton would be a distant third option behind Jarrod Mullen and maybe even fourth behind Carney if he was fit.

ShaiGuY

First Grade
The referees obviously agreed with you..the channel 9 commentators didn't! I'm not making out its the worst decision in history...I'm just stating that it was a decision that went NSW's way that on another day could have gone the other way.

There is a very clear distinction between an obstruction and a distraction. Hayne was trying to distract Slater which is within rules of the game. As mentioned there is no rule against what Hayne did at all - he could have been doing cartwheels or calling Slater a wanker to distract him so he would drop the ball. I thought Gould said what Hayne did was brilliant - nothing was said that it was not within rules.

souths_pride

Juniors
There is a very clear distinction between an obstruction and a distraction. Hayne was trying to distract Slater which is within rules of the game. As mentioned there is no rule against what Hayne did at all - he could have been doing cartwheels or calling Slater a wanker to distract him so he would drop the ball. I thought Gould said what Hayne did was brilliant - nothing was said that it was not within rules.

Listen to what Sterlo says. From memory he was the one who felt it was penalty. Your right..there is a clear distinction between distraction and obstruction...your allowed to distract a player..no doubt..theres no ruling against it..but thats not what Jarryd did. He went up in the air without making a serious attempt for the ball - that is a form of obstruction.

souths_pride

Juniors
That terrible logic would actually fall to James Maloney, who was STARTING five-eighth last year. Sutton would be a distant third option behind Jarrod Mullen and maybe even fourth behind Carney if he was fit.

Im not saying that Sutton will be picked at all based on the fact that he was 18th man...all I was implying was that he was on the laurie daley's radar. Maloney was starting five-eight last year, so what? Are we picking teams based on form or reputations? In any case I dont think Maloney has played anywhere near well enough at origin level last year to warrant automatic selection for the blues even if he has had a slight dip in form. Speaking of which his form has been absolutely terrible this year! Did you see the game against the Cowboys...Maloney was abysmal! Sutton, while not quite in the form that he was last year, is still playing some very decent footy..If Carney was fit (which hes not and Ive taken that into account when formulating my opinion) then hed be no.2 for sure. Why would you pick Mullen over Sutton? Newcastle are running second last for a reason and Jarrod Mullen is one of them!

Swarzey

Bench
So because we're second last, we should put a ban on Mullen playing? Ridiculous. How about we put a ban on Fifita getting a chance if he's fit because Sharks are last? If you watch any of our games, Jarrod Mullen is one of our stand outs in a losing side. He does very little wrong and in most cases, the fault of our loses comes down to a weak pack and a pea-heart fullback.

John Sutton's career has only been relevant for the last three/four seasons when playing behind one of the game's biggest packs. He's nothing special outside the idiotic media hype.

souths_pride

Juniors
So because we're second last, we should put a ban on Mullen playing? Ridiculous. How about we put a ban on Fifita getting a chance if he's fit because Sharks are last? If you watch any of our games, Jarrod Mullen is one of our stand outs in a losing side. He does very little wrong and in most cases, the fault of our loses comes down to a weak pack and a pea-heart fullback.

John Sutton's career has only been relevant for the last three/four seasons when playing behind one of the game's biggest packs. He's nothing special outside the idiotic media hype.
What im saying is..youve got to look at the reason why Newcastle are losing games and I feel that Mullen (along with Tyrone Roberts) is one of them..aside from his kicking game I dont think hes offers that much in attack..defensively hes good but if I had to sum him up in a nutshell Id say hes a high-inconsistent player. Your forward pack is quite decent; although they are ageing and a bit slow they're quite decent players. Ive got nothing against Newcastle..im just trying to offer my objective view..in fact ill even say this: since Willie Mason has gone to the Knight I think hes performed better than just about any point in his career and look how good Beau Scott has been! (although he looks to be slowing down a bit of late). The problem with the knights is this..theyre too old, theyre too slow and theyre carrying too many injury prone players...I love Kurt Gidley to bits but hes your classic example..Ive heard rumours that his body is held together with bluetack and paperclips hes had that many injuries! Also the your outside backs are an absolute liability in defence, especially Uate. Darius Boyd is overrated for sure..but by no means is he your worst player!

I agree with you..hes finally reaching his potential under Michael Maguire! Three or Four seasons of consistent footy is enough to warrant consideration for rep selection..and he was one of the main reasons behind South Sydney's success for the last few seasons..its no secret that when he went to lock Souths looked ordinary in attack and lost 3 games straight!

Apey

Staff member
Im not saying that Sutton will be picked at all based on the fact that he was 18th man...all I was implying was that he was on the laurie daley's radar. Maloney was starting five-eight last year, so what? Are we picking teams based on form or reputations? In any case I dont think Maloney has played anywhere near well enough at origin level last year to warrant automatic selection for the blues even if he has had a slight dip in form. Speaking of which his form has been absolutely terrible this year! Did you see the game against the Cowboys...Maloney was abysmal! Sutton, while not quite in the form that he was last year, is still playing some very decent footy..If Carney was fit (which hes not and Ive taken that into account when formulating my opinion) then hed be no.2 for sure. Why would you pick Mullen over Sutton? Newcastle are running second last for a reason and Jarrod Mullen is one of them!

A simple "I don't watch games that don't involve Souths" would have sufficed. A nice summary of all 27 of your wonderful posts.

souths_pride

Juniors
A simple "I don't watch games that don't involve Souths" would have sufficed. A nice summary of all 27 of your wonderful posts.

Its got nothing to do with me being a Souths fan or bias or anything like that! If it was all about me being a Souths supporter I would argue against having our players select for origin because it would mean that we would have to give them a pay raise which in turn would mean we could well lose them to other clubs due to high wages of other players. I mean we're already having problems keeping Chris McQueen due to his wage demands!

Swarzey

Bench
I agree with you..hes finally reaching his potential under Michael Maguire! Three or Four seasons of consistent footy is enough to warrant consideration for rep selection..and he was one of the main reasons behind South Sydney's success for the last few seasons..its no secret that when he went to lock Souths looked ordinary in attack and lost 3 games straight!

I don't think you do agree with me. I'm saying John Sutton is overrated. Any halve can play as good as he is playing behind a good pack. Look at Maloney/Pearce and Reynolds/Hodkinson, they all play behind massive packs hell Pearce and Maloney won a freaking premiership. Not necessarily knocking them, but the way they play isn't the traditional halves, yet it works because of their pack. You remove the big blokes from Souths and John Sutton falls into the pit of irrelevance again bringing Reynolds with him.

What puts Mullen on a level higher than Sutton and even plenty of halves in the NRL is that he doesn't have the luxury of playing behind a big pack, it's complete shit and one of the worst in the NRL, yet he stands out because he's pure class.

South's success these last few years is all due to Greg Inglis. You may not like it, you may not want to accept it, but unless Greg Inglis is firing on all four cylinders, South Sydney will never be a true premiership contender. John Sutton had very little to do with it. Quite simply, John Sutton has played consistent, but that consistency hasn't contained anything to warrant selection.

Latest posts