What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$1million man: Jade heads north for marquee deal with new franchise

Frederick

Staff member
$1million man: Jade heads north for marquee deal with new franchise
BY JAMES GARDINER
3/11/2008 10:53:00 PM

NEWCASTLE Jets captain Jade North has agreed to terms on a three-year deal worth more than a million dollars to join new A-League club North Queensland from next season.

Confirmation of North's move yesterday was a double blow for the Jets, who were still coming to terms with the shock departure of Edmundo Zura.

North, 26, will become the Townsville-based club's marquee player and indigenous ambassador.

The Herald understands the deal also includes exit clauses if North is successful in securing an overseas move. Under the terms, North Queensland will release him from his contract if he signs with an overseas club before July 1.

They have also agreed to a maximum transfer fee of $400,000 if he wants to move at the end of his first year.

North had preliminary talks with the Jets but in the end the North Queensland deal was too good to refuse.

"It was a tough decision," North said. "I love Newcastle and everything about it: the place, the players, the fans.

"They have been fantastic, but this was an opportunity which does not come along very often.

"I had to take it.

"I have a family and have to do what is right for them."

North etched his name in Newcastle football history when he led the Jets to the title last season and is one of only four originals alongside Matt Thompson, Tarek Elrich and Jobe Wheelhouse.

He will remain as captain for the remainder of the season and will also be available for the the group stage of the Jets' Asian Champions League campaign next year.

"My heart will always be at Newcastle," North said. "I was born in Taree and consider this home, but players come and go. That is football.

"My job as captain is to lead the team out and defend the title. I just hope the fans understand I am here to play and finish the season off.

"I have loved my time here. The fans have been great to me, and I really want to go out with a bang."

The Jets have already signed Joel Griffiths as the marquee player for next season a deal similar to what North has secured.

Coach Gary van Egmond was disappointed to lose North but said they could not match North Queensland's offer.

"The amount of money North Queensland is talking about is way in excess of what we could afford," the coach said.

"You never like losing any of your players, especially ones who have been here a long period and, more importantly, the captain of your team.

"But that is football."
LINK

Just keeps getting better for the Jets, doesn't it? :lol:

Jono078

Referee
He's been quite poor this season.

In saying that though none of our defenders are as good as him bar perhaps Adam Griffiths, and even then the coach likes him in the midfield.

fish eel

Immortal
I thought the FFA had to approve marque players?

Surely they should tell them to aim higher?

stuke

Bench
the idea of 'marquee' players was a great idea for the A-League but it hasn't worked. the fact that North is going to be classified as one just about sums it up.

fish eel

Immortal
the idea of 'marquee' players was a great idea for the A-League but it hasn't worked. the fact that North is going to be classified as one just about sums it up.

It hasnt worked because most clubs have farked it up.

Only Sydney and CCM have got it right.

Yorke was perfect.

Juninho would have been ideal except he was injured more than not.

Aloisi, again, good choice last year at Central Coast.

But the others have farked it up.

Brian Deane and Stan Lazaridis come to mind.

Tommy Smith

Referee
He's not even a remotely good player, let alone a f**king marquee.

North Queensland = EPIC FAIL
Abit early to say that. One player does not make, or break, a team.

Fact is you could count the number of remotely good players in the A-League on two hands.

sooperdooper

First Grade
i think it is a great signing... a current socceroo.
Has a good on and off field attitude.
Indingious background... lots in the nth qld area. A great role model for a young aboriginal player.

Perfect choice