What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test- Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Galle, Nov 17-21

joseph1

Juniors
Watling should always have been there. Its a bloody disgrace he went home. He is a much better option at number 6 than Franklin, who is a living, walking, excuse for a test cricketer, averaging 22 with the bat and bowling at 122 ks.

Ryder and Wagner could also invigorate the team in the future but the rest are the best we've got.

Meth

Staff member
I'm not sure Franklin is the problem. He's not the answer, but he's not the problem.

The big problem in this NZ test side at the moment is Taylor, Guptill and McCullum, and their lack of application.

In saying that, I'd like to see Astle replace Franklin for the next test.

Meth

Staff member
btw- the shine is starting to fade on Bracewell. Hobart is becoming a increasingly distant memory.

Timbo

Staff member
BJ Watling should definitely be there. There's someone who fights for every run as opposed to the bulk of the middle order who play test cricket like it's an ODI.

And what happened to Wagner? He was being talked up as the next pace spearhead now chucked on the discard pile after one ordinary series on featherbed wickets in the Carribean.

Ronchi, although in lean form for Wellington, has to be in there as well (when he qualifies of course, which I believe is in time for England). Forget van Wyk, Young, etc - he is a proper counter-attacking #7 and will score more runs than any of your other options.

Iafeta said Hamish Rutherford looks in good touch, which is good - you need a grafter at the top of the order instead of the current pairing who feel the need to throw the bat at everything. What about the other name I mentioned, George Worker? Admittedly it's hard to follow Plunkett Shield over here but whenever his name pops up in match reports it's usually because he's played a dogged innings at the top of the order? His current FC average is in the mid-20s but from what I can tell that's more to do with poor early career form?

I was somewhat under the impression that Carl Cachopa was a bowler who could slog? Or is he a batsman who can trundle? Either way, could be a replacement for Franklin who is really no longer close to being a test standard bowler.

In anycase the big issue is of course Ryder. You have to find a way to get him back into the test side. Put a schooner on a good length and trick him into the middle?

There seem to be some serious issues in NZ cricket. Just looking at the scorecard for the Canterbury vs. Wellington game currently underway, I noticed the name Gareth Andrew on the scorecard for Canterbury. He's an English medium pace trundler/lower order slogger who had a pretty bloody ordinary county season for Worcester, who finished last in the County Chapionship 1 this winter. If he's the kind of player NZ sides are importing to 'bolster' the ranks, then you're in a whole wide world of trouble over there.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't think Kruger Van Wyck has done too much wrong. He seems to try and hold the tail together, pity no one else wants to dig in around him. BJ Watling not being there is beyond belief, he is in rare form, and he's been in the test team while in poor form.

I would be surprised if Wagner is discarded. I would be surprised if he is not the next pace bowling cab off the rank. Doug Bracewell needs to get the discipline back, sounds like he's bowling half tracker pies over there. Is Wagner in the tour party?

The guys who I think need a break from the test outfit are Franklin and Guptill definitely, and they require a lot more accuracy from Doug Bracewell if he's going to play the third seemers role.

For the first home test, provided Ryder is available, I would go

1 McCullum
2 Watling
3 Williamson (needs another performance)
4 Taylor
5 Ryder
6 If Cachopa continues his form, give him a guernsey
7 Van Wyck
8 Vettori
9 Wagner
10 Southee
11 Boult

For a 5th bowling pie option I'd go Williamson ahead of Franklin.

Iafeta

Referee
BJ Watling should definitely be there. There's someone who fights for every run as opposed to the bulk of the middle order who play test cricket like it's an ODI.

And what happened to Wagner? He was being talked up as the next pace spearhead now chucked on the discard pile after one ordinary series on featherbed wickets in the Carribean.

Ronchi, although in lean form for Wellington, has to be in there as well (when he qualifies of course, which I believe is in time for England). Forget van Wyk, Young, etc - he is a proper counter-attacking #7 and will score more runs than any of your other options.

Iafeta said Hamish Rutherford looks in good touch, which is good - you need a grafter at the top of the order instead of the current pairing who feel the need to throw the bat at everything. What about the other name I mentioned, George Worker? Admittedly it's hard to follow Plunkett Shield over here but whenever his name pops up in match reports it's usually because he's played a dogged innings at the top of the order? His current FC average is in the mid-20s but from what I can tell that's more to do with poor early career form?

I was somewhat under the impression that Carl Cachopa was a bowler who could slog? Or is he a batsman who can trundle? Either way, could be a replacement for Franklin who is really no longer close to being a test standard bowler.

In anycase the big issue is of course Ryder. You have to find a way to get him back into the test side. Put a schooner on a good length and trick him into the middle?

There seem to be some serious issues in NZ cricket. Just looking at the scorecard for the Canterbury vs. Wellington game currently underway, I noticed the name Gareth Andrew on the scorecard for Canterbury. He's an English medium pace trundler/lower order slogger who had a pretty bloody ordinary county season for Worcester, who finished last in the County Chapionship 1 this winter. If he's the kind of player NZ sides are importing to 'bolster' the ranks, then you're in a whole wide world of trouble over there.

Na, he's a top order bat for CD. His brothers are around the first class scene as well, Craig for Auckland is a keeper-bat, Brad is a keeper-bat for Canterbury.

Timbo

Staff member
Fair enough. As I say, pretty hard to follow the Plunkett in Oz. I read what I can though.

I get what you're saying about Van Wyk, but even ignoring Ronchi for a moment - Watling can keep at that level. He's not a brilliant keeper, but he'll do a job. I think it's worth considering purely due to how often you capitulate. For the Poms, I'd be looking at:

1-McCullum
2-Rutherford
3-Ryder
4-Taylor*
5-Watling+
6-Williamson
7-Cachopa
8-Vettori
9-Southee
10-Boult
11-Wagner

Use Cachopa as the 4th seamer (his numbers aren't terrible) and Williamson as the second spinner.

I might be inclined to sack Vettori for Astle, but he's yet to be proven. You'd have to see how he goes if given a chance.

African Monkey

First Grade
Carl Cachopa is still miles off a call up to the test side imo. He's only just hit a rich vein of form towards the end of last season and the beginning of this season. There's no real point changing the side up becase there's no-one better apart from maybe the keeper spot and a replacement for Franklin.

JJ

Immortal
Fair enough. As I say, pretty hard to follow the Plunkett in Oz. I read what I can though.

I get what you're saying about Van Wyk, but even ignoring Ronchi for a moment - Watling can keep at that level. He's not a brilliant keeper, but he'll do a job. I think it's worth considering purely due to how often you capitulate. For the Poms, I'd be looking at:

1-McCullum
2-Rutherford
3-Ryder
4-Taylor*
5-Watling+
6-Williamson
7-Cachopa
8-Vettori
9-Southee
10-Boult
11-Wagner

Use Cachopa as the 4th seamer (his numbers aren't terrible) and Williamson as the second spinner.

I might be inclined to sack Vettori for Astle, but he's yet to be proven. You'd have to see how he goes if given a chance.

Kind of like your thinking, but I don't see why we'd drop Flynn?

At home, I'd go with
McCullum
Guptill
Taylor
Ryder
Flynn
Williamson
Watling
Vetorri
Bracewell
Southee
Boult

Unfortunately we can't make wholesale changes - Taylor is the best player in the team, and captain so I'd hope he would just man up and return to 3... Guptill and McCullum need to play like the senior players the apparently are (especially the former, who's got to come under scrutiny at some stage). I wonder if there's regret at not picking McCullum as captain....

Ryder remains the million dollar question

Iafeta

Referee
What are people's thoughts on Peter Fulton? I would have thought his international career should be consigned to the scrapheap, however in his last 4 innings he has 3 x 100s and a 70 odd.

Carl Cachopa is still miles off a call up to the test side imo. He's only just hit a rich vein of form towards the end of last season and the beginning of this season. There's no real point changing the side up becase there's no-one better apart from maybe the keeper spot and a replacement for Franklin.

He's doing exactly what I feel Guptill should be doing. Spending time out of the test team learning his trade by scoring centuries. He's the ultimate flat track bully - belts Zimbabwe around and everyone thinks he's a champ, but against attacks who know how to use the conditions in their favour he rarely if ever performs. Taking out Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, Guptill has a test average of 27.

JJ

Immortal
What are people's thoughts on Peter Fulton? I would have thought his international career should be consigned to the scrapheap, however in his last 4 innings he has 3 x 100s and a 70 odd.

He's certainly in form, so they should consider him carefully - Guptill should be dropped IMO, too many technical issues, and in reality has only every performed against poor opposition... in saying that perhaps retaining him against the strong upcoming test teams will resolve the issue once and for all... but I doubt it, he seems to have some immunity from the selectorial axe... as do much of our underperforming top 7, whereas the bowlers despit consistently doing well never seem to be secure in their spots

African Monkey

First Grade
In regards to Peter Fulton, an emphatic no. He doesn't know how to play off the front foot. He's far too crease bound and he's almost 34.

To be fair to Guptill, he has played a fair bit of FC cricket with Derbyshire over the last few seasons ahead of choosing the IPL. I'd keep him due to lack of options at the top.

Latest posts