What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 EXTRA SIDES FOR SEVENS

dimitri

First Grade
the world 7s is certain to be increased to 26 teams with South AFRICA and NZ Residents likely to be inlcuded.

the teams could possibly be

15 nrl sides

england
france
russia
lebanon
png
tonga
samoa
fiji
nz res
south africa

the 26th place is likely to be determined by another qualifying tournament which was a success this year

teams will include

cook islands
greece
italy
american samoa
nz maoris
scotland
aust aborigines
japan
widness
usa
nsw country

rlr, terry liberopoulos

SP

Bench
i agree here with Tamazoid

id rather see the likes of Serbia, morocco or another new nation

Victor Trumper

Juniors
26 is an odd number. It can't be broken down into groups of 4 or 3, so i don't know how they are planning on formating the competition.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
I'd like to see an Aussie Rules team in it. They are always bragging how unskillful RL is. Well, if it is, then a team of highly skilled AR players should clean up right?

Why dont they have a go?

Special K

Coach
I think the USA should be given a spot before NZ res..And I'd give the 26th spot to Japan.

dimitri

First Grade
I'd like to see an Aussie Rules team in it. They are always bragging how unskillful RL is. Well, if it is, then a team of highly skilled AR players should clean up right?

Why dont they have a go?

hahaha

sounds like a great idea

the Australian Faries

Misanthrope

Staff member
I can see the logic in including an NZ Residents side. Given that the most important thing at the moment is to make sides like England/NZ more able to compete with Australia- having some non-Warriors players getting some experience at any level would be a start.

Personally I'd rather see more sides- with all new places going to the emerging nations listed.

Chris

Lantana

Juniors
Exactly Lewis, I mean if the Scots, Welsh, Yanks, Japanese and Irish are going to fly out here surely we shouldn't force them into a qualifier out at Wentworthville!!!
Let them all get in and experience the fun and fanfare of the 7's.
It is a great tournament and it would be all the more richer for everybodies involvement.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I reckon 32 teams, divided them into 8 pools, with 4 teams in each one.

have bowl, plate, trophy, cup finals

Teams would include:

15 NRL teams
top 2 SL teams (eg. Bradford, Leeds)*
The Entrance (jim beam cup winner)
France
Russia
South Africa
PNG
Fiji
Japan
Italy
Lebanon
Greece
USA
Tonga
Samoa
Morrocco

*or instead of Entrance, 2 SL teams, have England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland

Hopefully the most successful Sevens tournament since 1995. :)

Big Bunny

Juniors
I like the idea of there being an NRL 7's played in conjunction with the emerging World 7's. It would draw more people through the gate, it could be played at a bigger venue and then only the top 4-5 teams would go through to the World 7's along with the top 2 Emerging 7's qualifiers. This would of course open up more slots for International teams to skip the qualification process as well.

mono_mal

Juniors
whilst it would be great to see more international teams competing in the world sevens this is simply not financially viable.
The reason the Scottish, Japan etc are not admitted directly into the finals stage is that they fund themselves to compete in the qualifiers whilst if they make the finals they are reimbursed all costs by the rlif who cannot afford to reimburse extra teams.
The qualifying tournament is a great competition in itself and Western Weekender Stadium (at St Marys, not Wentworthville as previously stated!) proved to be a good venue this year with 3 000 in attendance and a great atmosphere. This in itself would be a big experience for the Japanese. etc who would normally play to crowds no higher than 200.

Stevo_G

Juniors
they need to inlude england, ireland, scotland, wales at least it give the british players some sort of a tour before 2007

The Observer

Staff member
mono_mal said:
whilst it would be great to see more international teams competing in the world sevens this is simply not financially viable.
The reason the Scottish, Japan etc are not admitted directly into the finals stage is that they fund themselves to compete in the qualifiers whilst if they make the finals they are reimbursed all costs by the rlif who cannot afford to reimburse extra teams.

The RFL team sent an "England" team last year (as opposed to sending a GB or GB&I team) because it attracted funding from Sport England by using that name. I imagine that RLI, the WRL and SRL will all qualify for funding from their respective countries' Sport Councils over the next couple of years and they may then be able to afford the travel, accomodation, insurance and other costs.

In-goal

Bench
I would think that Widnes would walk through the qualifing stages, hardly fair on other qualifiers considering that they are a fully pro outfit.

Widnes Vikings RLFC
World Champions

Latest posts