What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007....Are we really looking at a long year?

Big Mick

Referee
Well let’s have a look at our squads for next season shall we:

First Grade:
1. Rhys Wesser
2. Michael Gordon
3. ?? (Josh Hannay)
4. Luke Lewis
5. Luke Rooney
6. ?? (Jason Smith)
7. Craig Gower
8. Joel Clinton
9. Luke Priddis
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Trent Waterhouse
12. Tony Puletua
13. Shane Rodney

14. Matthew Cross
15. Frank Pritchard
16. ?? (Manese Manukafua)
17. Paul Aiton

Premier League:
1. Liam Georgetown
2. Michael Jennings
3. Bob Blair
4. Mark O’Halloran (Personally I hope one of the kids pushes him out, but we’ll see)
5. Nick Youngquest
6. Jarrod Sammut
7. Peter Wallace
8. ??
9. Jaye Marletner
10. Steven O’Beirne
11. Junior Moors
12. Matthew Bell
13. Keith Peters

14. Tim Grant
15. Alex Ranieri
16. ?? (Could be a junior if ready)
17. ?? (Could be a junior if ready)
18. Wayne Bond
19. Craig Trindell
20. Junior Ahio
21. Geoff Daniella
22. Matthew Forwood
23. Daniel King
24. Lawrence Enosi
25. Tom Pritchard

*Edited* New line up after Galea has left....

Big Mick

Referee
In my opinion it still shapes as a decent squad.

No doubting we need a good centre and a class five-eight.

I believe Hannay's circumstances are due to off-field indiscretions rather than on field form. He would be back to his form last year and I believe he'd be an awsome signing. Very Whaitura like.

Jason Smith is just class. At Canberra he is just simply brilliant. With Gower outside him I think he can just play naturally rather than having to feel like he has to play every play like in Canberra. He can handle the ball whenever he wants. Imagine our forwards and backs running off a Jason Smith shortball. Its just brilliant how smart his guy is. I want Sammut and Wallace to learn off him.

Manese Manukafua I believe is a damaging ball runner and better than Pritchard in my opinion. Both these guys coming off the bench would cause teams immense damage and with the right winning culture or 'competitive' environment I believe he'd thrive. He is a must sign along with the other two.

Cooper Vuna, Jack Afamasanga, Matt Hilder, Daniel Dumas, Ben Roberts are also on the hitlist.

Big Mick

Referee
agreed.

But there arn't many out there.

None of good quality anyway.

Let's just stick with what we got for next year.

Waterhouse in my opinion will be the same mould as Steve Price as a prop. He'll be great.

Tim Grant great emerging prop.

Bryan Norrie holds his own...but I think we possibly need one more...

In my opinion we are well served for depth in the backs...we just need a quality first grade centre...rather than depth which we have currently.

northwest9

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
agreed.

But there arn't many out there.

None of good quality anyway.

Let's just stick with what we got for next year.

Waterhouse in my opinion will be the same mould as Steve Price as a prop. He'll be great.

Tim Grant great emerging prop.

Bryan Norrie holds his own...but I think we possibly need one more...

In my opinion we are well served for depth in the backs...we just need a quality first grade centre...rather than depth which we have currently.
Norrie will be in first grade. he is unstoppable in defence. and will chase players down, as seen against the warriers. will take hit ups all night, with out mistakes, and doesnt hit the hand brake as he gets to the line, like some other forwards. give him a few more games in the top grade and there will be others apart from me on here singing his praises.

he missed a tackle in the warriers game, but that was because he ran about 40 metres diagonally accross the park to catch the bloke, stopped his momentum, got up and caught him again to stop the break. thats the sort of player i love to see. dedicated. all from a bloke as physically immense as he is.

very underrated player, and not many notice him cause he doesnt make mistakes.

Big Mick

Referee
I notice him. I was one of his vocal supporters. I was merely suggesting that i'd probably rather buy Manese Manukafua who would provide more impact. If we don't...i'd love to see Norrie there. As you say and I have said previously, his lateral defensive is something all players should look at.

But I think his progress has been put back a little by injury. Hopefully we'll see the best out of him next year, but at the moment you'd have to question whether or not to buy an impact player.

I still think we need to buy a prop. A bit of healthy competition for spots never hurt anyone :D

northwest9

Juniors
i definately agree that his progress was has been hindered by the knee in the off season, and the ankle against the sharks. i dare say he would be one of the players panthers fans talk about had those two not happened.

personaly i like to see a bench of two good solid hard working forwards, and one impact second rower, with a utility like aiton.

next year id like ot see

8. clinton
9. priddis
10. norrie
11. waterhouse
12. T
13. Rodney

14. cross - both prop and second row ability - worker & provides flexibility in case of early game forward injury
15. Pritchard - second row - Impact
16. bell - second row & potential prop - worker
17. aiton - utility

that forward pack i think has the right ingrediants. real workhorses in norrie and rodney, mixed with that impact live wire type forward in pritchard with the others providing a good bit of both

Big Mick

Referee
I'd rather have one more impact player in Bell's place to be honest...

If we don't retain Galea...then thats the side i'd go with.

I just feel Clinton doesn't provide impact, NOrrie, Rodney and Waterhouse now are workers. T and Prtichard are our only line breakers really...and Aiton. We need another to be successful.

That's what I want Manukafua who is defensively sound, does the hard work, yet always makes metres and break's tackles.

cainen

Juniors
All we need is for Elliot to get our players to consistently play at their potential and we will be a force to be reckoned with. We'll have the squad to be a force, even if we don't make any signings, it's just a matter of playing to our ability.

northwest9

Juniors
Big Mick © said:

I just feel Clinton doesn't provide impact, NOrrie, Rodney and Waterhouse now are workers. T and Prtichard are our only line breakers really...and Aiton. We need another to be successful.

That's what I want Manukafua who is defensively sound, does the hard work, yet always makes metres and break's tackles.

Replace Bell with Manukafua, if he is signed, but thats an IF.

to be honest none of our impact forwards have really impressed me of late. but they have been a bit over shadowed by aiton. hes been a real find

northwest9

Juniors
cainen said:
All we need is for Elliot to get our players to consistently play at their potential and we will be a force to be reckoned with. We'll have the squad to be a force, even if we don't make any signings, it's just a matter of playing to our ability.

rarely a truer word spoken

Big Mick

Referee
I agree Cainen...

One thing u know with a Canberra team is that they leave nothing on the field...i'm hoping for that same attitude from ALL of our players, rather than a select few.

Kiwipanther

Juniors
Big Mick © said:

Junior Moors?

Bingo?

Munky

Coach
Alex Ranieri has looked the goods to me at prop for the past two years in Flegg and PL.

I reckon we may see him in first grade next season some time.

Big Mick

Referee
well we have no bloody choice now do we.....

Why do we do it Penrith fans....why do we put ourselves through this?

choc_soldier

Coach
Big Mick © said:
well we have no bloody choice now do we.....

Why do we do it Penrith fans....why do we put ourselves through this?

Because for every 8 years of pain, we're gauranteed 2 years of success.

That's the Penrith way.

I'm sick of it too, but have grown accustomed to it.