What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'd like to see Paul Kind (NRL Puffery Manager) issue a response to these crowd figures tonight.

Perhaps the NRL need to get tough with a few teams, and provide some juicy incentives to relocate to the Central Coast, or unless their fat-arsed fans emerge from their living rooms and start supporting their teams they get punted.

I going to go out on a limb here - this is a crisis. People who are getting paid money to grow this game need to (a) give it back or (b) start working harder.

I can tell you what he'll say: something about 35k people going to the test match the night before and that being their game of league for the weekend.

To be frank, that's fair enough that people choose 1 game to go to over a weekend, but surely the drones who organise the draw could've figured out a way to have most games out of Sydney on the weekend of a test match being played?

There are some pretty good incentives for teams to move to the Central Coast ($12 million of them). But clubs don't want to move because their fans are turning out in record numbers to support their clubs.

Crisis :lol:
If the overall crowd figures are the highest ever then we can't get too far ahead of ourselves in demanding even more...

Scroll up a few posts and notice that the average NSW crowd is up from the past few (very strong) seasons.

Then check the other thread where the figures show almost all Sydney clubs pulling bigger crowds this year than last year.

Crisis :crazy:

McCrud

Juniors
Congratulations to Todd Greengrocer and the Bulldogz management team for achieving their goal of '10,000 by 2010' two years early!

:clap:

innsaneink

Referee
You only gotta look at the footy played tonite over the three games....the standard is very average.
Cant expect great crowds for average footy

Lowdown

Juniors
I can tell you what he'll say: something about 35k people going to the test match the night before and that being their game of league for the weekend.

To be frank, that's fair enough that people choose 1 game to go to over a weekend, but surely the drones who organise the draw could've figured out a way to have most games out of Sydney on the weekend of a test match being played?

There are some pretty good incentives for teams to move to the Central Coast ($12 million of them). But clubs don't want to move because their fans are turning out in record numbers to support their clubs.

Crisis :lol:
If the overall crowd figures are the highest ever then we can't get too far ahead of ourselves in demanding even more...

Scroll up a few posts and notice that the average NSW crowd is up from the past few (very strong) seasons.

Then check the other thread where the figures show almost all Sydney clubs pulling bigger crowds this year than last year.

Crisis :crazy:

I keep hearing this rubbish about Sydney crowds hitting record numbers - where is this sh*te coming from?

NRL Media Releases / propaganda aside - I can see the evidence with my own eyes! I can check the crowd figures for the last god knows how many years - I aint seeing results people. I'm seeing failure to convert. I'm seeing sweet FA being done about it. I'm seeing empty stadiums. I'm seeing our players complaining about lack of fan support. I'm hearing radio commentators make fun of it - like its some sort of uncomfortable joke - like having an embarassing uncle who keeps passing wind at the dinner table.

Now - onto this pathetic excuse about the test match. My god - are you suggesting there are only 35k people in a city of 4.5 MILLION to go around to watch all the NRL games? You have to be joking. If not, you need to do any AMy Whinehouse and get yourself to rehab friend. Then again - upon reflection - you may be scarily right. Could the really only be 35k fans willing to venture out from their flea-infested homes to watch some league? That would answer a lot. Also - if they were all on welfare payments - that would pretty much explain everything.

Interestingly, I seem to remember Melbourne getting 45-50k to Origin III, then the selling out Olympic Park 2 nights later.

I'm sure Brisbane wouldnt have any complaints either.

beave

Coach
You only gotta look at the footy played tonite over the three games....the standard is very average.
Cant expect great crowds for average footy

The football played up here tonight was Z grade $hit (mainly by us)...............The players today seem to spend to much time on the fitness/weights then learning to be a "footballer", some of the basic skills IMO are lacking (passing, catching, ball security), I don't have any specific figures to back my claim up, just a plebians point of view from the sidelines.

GCR

Juniors
If there was 10,000 people at the SFS tonight I will deadset eat my hat. There were 4,000 there at the most, the place was empty and the Roosters shouldn't have a team in a national competition. What an embarrassment.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Queensland fans whinging about crowds down here = boring.

YOU DON'T HAVE NINE TEAMS IN THE MARKET!

Statistics show that the three-club median average is astronomically higher in Sydney than it is in QLD, a fact being ignored continously.

brendothejet

First Grade
The camera side of the SFS looked like it had a fair few in it, but the far side was empty.

They all got too drunk at Henson Park this afternoon!s

GCR

Juniors

Statistics show that the three-club median average is astronomically higher in Sydney than it is in QLD, a fact being ignored continously.

Mate, Sydney crowds are a joke. Stop making excuses, they're awful and most of the NSW teams don't deserve a spot in the NRL.

Timmah

Staff member
:lol:

Another unconvicing dismissive QLD argument.

Try another one. :)

GCR

Juniors
Are NSW crowds good enough for a national competition? No. So why are so many of these unpopular teams allowed to drag down our competition? Timmah, you've got no idea, son. Go back to your soccer.

brendothejet

First Grade
No Sydney teams = no rugby league

pretty simple.

Every year more sydney siders head through the turnstyles than brisbanites.

You are all just wound up because we got a good crowd to the SCG match and you are all annoyed you can't lambast us for that some more.

lotti

Bench

there was only 2 games played in Sydney tonight and didn't pull good crowds, the Storm have the AFL to contend with and they managed to get 13,632 last home game which was against Manly, they might get that number again against the Knights but I'm not holding my breath since it's Monday Night Football.

Timmah

Staff member
Are NSW crowds good enough for a national competition? No. So why are so many of these unpopular teams allowed to drag down our competition? Timmah, you've got no idea, son. Go back to your soccer.
:lol: The competition isn't national yet and until establishments are made in Adelaide and Perth the bloody thing won't be. At such point rationalisation must occur and crowds on average are likely to increase as there'll be less games. Continually I've seen from Queenslanders say "NSW crowds are crap" without actually entering into the reasons why or looking at the chasm of differences between the two cities, namely the fact there's 10 teams v 3.
No Sydney teams = no rugby league

pretty simple.

Every year more sydney siders head through the turnstyles than brisbanites.

You are all just wound up because we got a good crowd to the SCG match and you are all annoyed you can't lambast us for that some more.
:clap: F**king well said.
there was only 2 games played in Sydney tonight and didn't pull good crowds, the Storm have the AFL to contend with and they managed to get 13,632 last home game which was against Manly, they might get that number again against the Knights but I'm not holding my breath since it's Monday Night Football.
Hold on, you're comparing Saturday 7:30 matches in Sydney with a marquee match which showcased a GF replay on a FRIDAY night? Why do you bother?
Parra and St George will get over 20k today.
I fear not - Mothers Day. Anything over 17k will be a good result IMO.

In-goal

Bench
I don't think RL would die if a couple of Sydney clubs perished, hell did RL die when Newtown were removed from first grade?

There is a massive problem growing in Sydney, once the pokie money dries up the game will need larger incomes from gate's and sponsorship. Some Sydney clubs are financialy strickern as it is.

Timmah

Staff member
I don't think it would perish either but you'd certainly alienate a sh*tload of fans by doing so. The expansion push never happened early enough IMO, there's too much history in a lot of cases for relocations and foldings to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts