What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OVP

Coach
In 2008, it will mark history on an unprecendented level for the NRL, and two sides will both be 100 years old in that year. Easts and Souths.

This is only 3.5 years away.

I wonder what the NRL will do to celebrate this milestone in Rugby League History ? Anyone care to make guesses now ?

Personally, my greatest dream is to see Easts vs Souths in the 2008 Grand Final ... how HUGE would this game be ? Seriously think about it ... you would have people lining up for miles just to get a ticket, the stadium would be packed to the rafters, all the living greats from both clubs would be lined up and would share in this historic moment ... Artie Beetson, Horrie Hastings, Ferris Ashton, John sattler, George Piggins, et al. Ahhh one can dream cant they ? It wouldnt seem right if it were Nth Qld vs West Tigers in the GF that year would it ? If it really were Easts vs Souths then merchandising sales would absolutely quadruple all the other years imo.

Gees, wouldnt THAT bring them back to the game like nothing else huh.

With Souths signing Shane Richardson then i think its a distinct possibillity ...

So whats your dream for the centenary year of the greatest game of all ?

bluesbreaker

Bench
You'd have as much a chance of having the stadium "packed to the rafters" with a Knights v just about anyone grand final...

OVP

Coach
bluesbreaker said:
You'd have as much a chance of having the stadium "packed to the rafters" with a Knights v just about anyone grand final...

You mean all those Naughts fans who mysteriously fail to travel when Joey isnt playing will somehow show up this time ? Wow !! Nice effort in the 2002 and 2003 semis vs the Roosters i must say !! :roll:

DIEHARD

----
- A new national FTA contract that puts us head to head with the AFL.

- A World Cup in Australia to celebrate Centenary like the British Centenary in 1995. Featuring regular RL nations as well as new kids on the block Russia, Lebannon and a rejuvenated France on the back of their new Perpigan British Rugby Super League club.

- Hopefully Souths and Manly back at their best. Along with Wests. Which will see an explosion of tribalism and record crowds in Sydney.

- A new successful Gold Coast club with future expansion being planned, hopefully in New Zealand. They desperately need it.

- Unprecedented promotion of Rugby League.

- The World Club Challenge in Australia.

- Rugby Union is even more of a disgrace than it is in 2004 and we can all eat birthday cake and dance in its shallow grave.

sretsoor

Juniors
The introduction of the Foundation Cup between the Roosters and Souths being the only two foundation clubs left. Puts a bit more spice into each time we meet.

DIEHARD

----
Foundation Cup? Is that like a Charity Shield or a trophy for when they play each other like when Brisbane play North Queensland. It's an excellent idea.

wittyfan

Referee
I think they should re-enact the first round of the 1908 premiership. Thus all the original clubs would play each other at the same grounds.

Eddie.

Bench
OVP said:
I It wouldnt seem right if it were Nth Qld vs West Tigers in the GF that year would it ?

Wests and Balmain are foundation club

Dream match - Wests Tigers v SOuths ( there 3 foundations clubs there)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Good idea Sullyfan, only problem is Newtown, Annandale, Glebe and University arent around.

So we'll kick off the season with Roosters playing Souths, and CC Bears playing Wests Tigers. A double header at Telstra Stadium
-22 rounds, 16 teams
-Draws
-Salary cap increased
-City/Country
-State of Origin, still successfull, still the biggest league event
-Australia plays France in Canberra, in lead up to Trans-Tasman test series
-Australia plays New Zealand in Brisbane, to kick off test series
-2nd Test Newcastle, 3rd Test Sydney
-NRL considers expansion in Perth and Adelaide
-Grand Final back to sunday alvo.

sretsoor

Juniors
Eddie. said:
OVP said:
I It wouldnt seem right if it were Nth Qld vs West Tigers in the GF that year would it ?

Wests and Balmain are foundation club

Dream match - Wests Tigers v SOuths ( there 3 foundations clubs there)

How about they split for the game, make it a 4 way exhibition weekend with West, Balmain, Souths and Roosters.

Anonymous

Juniors
OVP said:
In 2008, it will mark history on an unprecendented level for the NRL, and two sides will both be 100 years old in that year. Easts and Souths.
Get f**ked. There will be more sides than that turning 100.

The mighty mighty Tigers
Magpies
Newtown
Norths

You tosser.

wittyfan

Referee
PARRA_FAN said:
Good idea Sullyfan, only problem is Newtown, Annandale, Glebe and University arent around.

Newtown are still around, and Glebe could be made up of other Sydney clubs. :lol: Parramatta could play as Cumberland. I reckon it would be great. :lol:

dimitri

First Grade
- A new national FTA contract that puts us head to head with the AFL.

- A World Cup in Australia to celebrate Centenary like the British Centenary in 1995. Featuring regular RL nations as well as new kids on the block Russia, Lebannon and a rejuvenated France on the back of their new Perpigan British Rugby Super League club.

- Hopefully Souths and Manly back at their best. Along with Wests. Which will see an explosion of tribalism and record crowds in Sydney.

- A new successful Gold Coast club with future expansion being planned, hopefully in New Zealand. They desperately need it.

- Unprecedented promotion of Rugby League.

- The World Club Challenge in Australia.

- Rugby Union is even more of a disgrace than it is in 2004 and we can all eat birthday cake and dance in its shallow grave.

agree 100%

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

DIEHARD

----
There are more clubs than just that in the NRL, don't be naive. We still have Balmain, Wests, Norths, and Newtown running around, they certainly aren't gone.

Gold Coast for 2006, Bears for 2008. Part of the celebration can be brining a foundation club back into the fold.

PARRA FAN there will be no Tri Nations in 2008, its the year of the World Cup in Australia. Also the idea of 16 teams and the CC Bears running around is ridiculous. But that is another thread and I wont pollute this great thread with my Pro Gold Coast broken record.

One thing is for sure, we need to celebrate it. We have the Centenary World Cup but we also have to celebrate it at club level. Also in Queensland with the QRL clubs they are 100 years old as well! Maybe we could have a 2008 Challenge Cup or something.

God I'm so exited, we are going to be 100 years old! :D

skeepe

Immortal
For at least one match that year, I'd like to see every club wearing the original jersey that they wore when they came into the competition. How good would that be?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Diehard said:
PARRA FAN there will be no Tri Nations in 2008, its the year of the World Cup in Australia.

Of course there wont be, I didnt even mention the Tri series. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Those other matches are test matches during the season.