What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 NRL Rule Changes - Impact on the Warriors

Lego_Man

First Grade
The advent of the second referee in 2009 is designed to make for a faster game with more refereeing accuracy in decision-making. Grappling and wrestling will be discouraged...and as we have seen in general, the faster the play-the-ball, the more dummy half running we see.

Do the Warriors stand to benefit from this? We have 2 good hookers (Hohaia and Henderson) who can apply pressure in this area over the full 80 (assuming they play in those positions). Brent Tate is also probably the best dummy-half running centre in the NRL, so metres should be easy to come by for us. Pair these three with some good support play and you could see us cause some damage up the middle (as we got glimpses of last season)

Defensively we'll need to keep it tight, but we have a relatively mobile and disciplined pack, with no out-and-out weak links.

I think we're in a better position than most to adapt to the new rules.

Scottey

Juniors
The team's discipline has definitely improved under Cleary's command. I think we'll be fine there.

All I know is Melbourne is f**kd.

ozbash

Referee
Grappling and wrestling will be discouraged...

I think I heard that before.

We'll be sweet, priceys fitness/staying power is my only worry (if i can call it that). We have a very young pack of forwards and they shouldnt have any trouble keeping up. Will work in our favour I reckon, can see some of the bigger packs, Panthers, broncos, dogs run off their feet 2/3 of the way through a game.

As long as the refs are consistent...

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
we'll be fine.

long gone are the days of the big, tired warriors forwards.

Skram

Juniors
I think we're in a better position than most to adapt to the new rules.

Agreed, as long as Lauaki isn't on the field. Also, on the same track, with two refs out there McKinnon better watch what comes out his mouth...
Aside from that, general play-wise we could really take advantage, JRo is another good dummy half runner to add to that list and Kemp obviously is small with a good turn of pace. Could work out very well.

icewind

Juniors
Will work in our favour I reckon, can see some of the bigger packs, Panthers, broncos, dogs run off their feet 2/3 of the way through a game.

apart from Dave Taylor, who from all reports has toned up, I think the 'tiring big pack' stereotype given to the Broncos is unwarranted these days.

Clinton, Sims, Thaiday, Setu, Kenny, Marsh, Gorrell and parker are pretty fit and mobile.

Jesbass

First Grade
apart from Dave Taylor, who from all reports has toned up, I think the 'tiring big pack' stereotype given to the Broncos is unwarranted these days.

Clinton, Sims, Thaiday, Setu, Kenny, Marsh, Gorrell and parker are pretty fit and mobile.

Yeah, apparently my namesake smokes like a chimney - is that true?