What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Brisbane Broncos lineup

johns_reds

First Grade
With Henjak looking to play Gillett next year full time in second row and making Te'o and Glenn the utilities, do you think it will be a good move?

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...-gillett-to-be-broncos-backrower/default.aspx

Matt Gillett to be Broncos backrower

Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak will strip NRL rookie of the year Matt Gillett of his utility stripes to groom him into a full-time back-rower in 2011.After an NRL debut season in which he swapped between lock, second-row, centre, hooker, wing and deputised at five-eighth for injured skipper Darren Lockyer, Gillett will be given an opportunity to cement a permanent starting back-row spot in Brisbane's 2011 pack which will include returning prop Ben Hannant in the front-row.
Gillett scored 12 tries in 21 NRL games in 2010 as he made a stunning transition from Queensland Cup player to fringe State of Origin representative.
While his ability to switch positions, start, or come off the bench as an impact player made him the NRL's best utility, Henjak is keen for the 22 year-old to lock down a more permanent role in his second season.
"As long as we don't get too many injuries because he's really versatile, I'd really like Matt to settle into a position for sure," Henjak told AAP four days before assembling his players for pre-season training.
"He's going to end up in the back-row and that's where he likes playing."
Gillett's impressive debut season did not surprise Henjak or former Queensland Test No.7 Mark Murray who earmarked him as a future representative player well before his shock first NRL appearance against the Cowboys.
Henjak is not concerned Gillett could fall victim to the second year blues which often hit young players coming off a big rookie season.
"Matt will take a lot out of last season," said a confident Henjak.
"I think he'll get a little bit bigger. He's a good size now but I think he'll put on a few kilos and get fitter which will allow him to handle more (playing) time.
"He's a little different. He'll be 23 next year. I know it was his rookie year but he'd had a different type of development than other young players have.
"He was quite mature and ready for his step up last year.
"He's a really humble guy too, he works hard and he's got a good attitude and he's done things pretty tough.
"I think he'll handle it fine."
Alex Glenn or Ben T'eo are capable of filling Gillett's utility role next season with both versatile and quick enough to play in the pack or in the backs.
Henjak meanwhile didn't rule out Brisbane unearthing another Gillett in 2011.
"We've got a couple of potential players who could surprise a few people," he said.
"I'm not going to say they will do what Matt Gillett did but they are fresh faces with a lot of ability."

Personally i think it would be great, They need to give Gillett a permanent position and see how he goes.

Last edited:

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
I like the idea, but i feel sorry for Glenn, not that he was ever going to become a second rower but i just feel he is never going to be able to lock down a full time spot in the team, i guess thats the disadvantage of being so versatile.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I like the idea, but i feel sorry for Glenn, not that he was ever going to become a second rower but i just feel he is never going to be able to lock down a full time spot in the team, i guess thats the disadvantage of being so versatile.

Glenn has youth on his side so who knows what will happen in the next couple of years. He might beef up and become a great back rower. But I do tend to agree that i can't really see him getting out of that utility/mr fix it role unless we get some big injuries or something like that. Every team needs an Alex Glenn though.:)

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Ok so now that Inglis is out of the picture who do we think will get the centre spot?
Looking at BP's initial possible squad our backline might look like:

1. Hoffman
2. Kemp
3. Copley/Beale/Gagai
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh

Kemp and Yow Yeh are both definite wingers. Copley is the only true centre out of th three possibilities so I guess he has the best chance. Gagai is still a chance to replace Kemp at wing.

timka4

Bench
As much as I hate the Broncos I feel sorry for the fans. A big disappointment for you guys. Good luck next Year.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Cheers timka4.

At this point in time it could turn out to be anybody...

Wouldn't surprise me to see Glenn chucked in there as we have a fair few options for the bench next year which will also allow Hunt to play off the bench still.

beads6

First Grade
I say we put Glenn at left centre and see how he goes, if he isn't doing well chuck Copley or even Gagai in at centre.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Glenn is a solid defender and player but he doesn't offer much in attack. He is much better off being a utility off the bench.

With Folau and Inglis gone we are losing strike power in the backline. I was kinda hoping that our attack would be a little less 1 dimensional like last season where is was throw it to Folau and hope. We need to be able to attack both sides of the field, not just Hodges' side. And who even knows if Hodges can get back to his best? It will take him a while anyway.

Broncos93

Juniors
Anyone but Beale. He's terrible.

EDIT: Just saw a thread in the NRL section and spurred a thought... what about Yenzie Mere?

Would be a bit of an out there signing, but he certainly hits hard, has loads of potential and was PNG's best player in the series. We'd be able to pick him up pretty cheap as well, and keep a majority of that $600k on retaining our players for the future since quite a few are coming off contract after 2011.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
We need an attacking player at left centre, for a while we've been happy to just attack one side of the field with more of a defensive centre on the other side. we might give away a few tries in defence but at least we'll be scoring them too

Broncos fan!

Juniors
1.Hoffman
2.Kemp/Gagai
3.Copley
4.Hodges
5.Yow Yeh
6.Lockyer
7.Wallace
8.Hannant
9.McCullough
10.Tronc