What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011: F7s All Stars -V- Marauders

Jesbass

First Grade
All the best, Bartman. Just remember that as F7s boss...

We interrupt this transmission to allay any fears of corruption at the top of F7s...where "allay" actually means "confirm"... :sarcasm:

Bubbles

Juniors
Congrats to everyone; really diverse interesting articles - Love the F7s, love the footy. Bring on Season 2011 aloready!!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's almost Friday, where's bart lol.

Good luck to everyone, if the quality here is anything to go by, this season is going to be a real ball tearer!

Jesbass

First Grade
Didn't you hear, unit? Bartman decided the All Stars won, so I banned him... :sarcasm:

bartman

Immortal
Still sneaking into the "Friday evening" timeslot by the skin of my teeth... :sarcasm:

First of all, thanks for the honour of marking such a star-studded F7s match. Ten great reads by ten great writers, drawn from across the spectrum of F7s teams :clap:. A hard match to split...

All-Stars

Unmasked (Titanic) – 89

Nice choice of starting theme which served as a launching pad for an informative examination of the changes in PNG rugby league and society over the last 50 or so years. Nicely crafted and intertwined.

Same old sh*t, different day (Azkatro) – 89

Engaging examination of the internal dialogue of a somewhat tired fan. The descriptions effectively built the feeling of nothing changing in some aspects of life. Ditto for the build to the pay-off leading to the protagonist’s small victory in a world where neither Todd Carney, the morning routine, the traffic - nor the reactions of the protagonist’s colleagues - ever change.

Premature Declarations (Bubbles) – 86
Great title and opening sentence, and some well-chosen turns of phrase used throughout relating to the metaphor. A few stray apostrophes and some long comma-filled sentences stilted the flow for the reader a bit, but otherwise an engaging opinionated piece.

Sir Humphrey Appleby (Willow) – 90
A clever comparison, and very well written and constructed read. Criticism of David Gallop is fairly common on an issue-by-issue basis, but without being as precise about exactly how his overall style grates, or how a role like his doesn’t always seemed focused on the fundamentals.

T Is For Tonga (Drew-Sta) – 88
A good way to present a simple moral to the story about what made rugby league remain a game open to everyone, and how things can be forgotten in the changing times. A nice read.

Total score: 442

Marauders

National Rugby… Lesbians? (Madunit) – 88
Interesting premise, nicely followed through. Some humorous turns of phrase with just the one sentence with a spelling and punctuation blip. (By way of an aside I saw two good looking young lesbians kissing in the middle of a city intersection today, and a bunch of rugged looking young blokes nearly “prematurely declaring” themselves in shock as they walked past, so you might be onto a trending phenomenon here…)

Too much is sometimes too much (LeagueNut) – 89

Great idea, nicely executed. The growth in jersey designs is getting pretty ridiculous! Starts with reality and builds well to the logically connected but ridiculous conclusion. (Just two missing apostrophes away from a higher score.)

Umm... Well... Dear Old Friend, This Is A Bit Awkward (Non-Terminator) – 87
F7s articles written about F7s can be an acquired taste for the reader, kind of like movies or TV shows that “break the fourth wall”, or pro wrestlers knowingly breaking kayfabe… In this case the writing captures the flow of internal thoughts and emotions well. The suspense of the early part might have benefited from shorter paragraphs to build up to the reveal of the source of the writer’s feelings of pressure.

Wan Wan Wan (tits & tans) – 89
A well written, engaging tale of the fun of discovery within a prevailing climate where there exists pressure to win. Revealing the ball would have been a great moment, good luck with the adult game.

Driven To… (Jesbass) – 90
Raw emotion can sometimes result in a natural literary eloquence that captures a reader’s attention through every word. Far from disjointed, these words draw a vivid map of the writer’s internal feelings and reflections with a comparison point and various links to the world of rugby league.

Total score: 443

Match result: Marauders 443 d All-Stars 442

POTMs: Willow (All-Stars) & Jesbass (Marauders)

A great way to kick of the season, well done to all! And best of luck to everyone with their F7 writing during 2011 :thumn.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks ref. Huges congrats to the Marauders.

Great effort from all players - special congrats to Jesbass on the joint POTM. :D :thumn

The 10th season of the F7s is upon us. Bring it on!

bartman said:
I haven’t checked the full rule book, and I could be wrong, but I’ve an inkling that the minimum word limit is set at 700
FTR and for the ref's information, I understand that the rules are on the F7s website at forumsevens.com. http://www.forumsevens.com.au/rules.php

In particular: 650-750 words: no penalty

Drew-sta wrote a top notch article and his 699 words was well within the rules.

Jesbass

First Grade
Wow, what a cracker! Score margins like this one are what makes the F7s the fantastic spectacle that it is! (Who ever said an exhibition match couldn't be tense? ;-))

Many thanks to Bartman for the quick turn around. :)

Thanks to the All Stars for living up to their name. :clap:

Thanks to the Marauders for the honour. :thumn

Congratulations, Willow, on the POTM - thoroughly deserved. I think I might go watch Yes Minister now...

LeagueNut

First Grade
Cheers to Bartman for the marking, and congrats to everyone on such a hard-fought match. What a great way to kick off the year. :clap:

What a game. Certainly proud to be amongst this, especially the class that you all have shown in this game.
Already I can tell this, nobody has lost their touch.
We're in for a cracker.

Jesbass

First Grade
Cheers to Bartman for the marking, and congrats to everyone on such a hard-fought match. What a great way to kick off the year. :clap:

I must be the slowest user on here...I thought your signature had a glitch, but thinking about it now, I realise that it's probably a joke! :eek:

Jesbass

First Grade
What a game. Certainly proud to be amongst this, especially the class that you all have shown in this game.
Already I can tell this, nobody has lost their touch.
We're in for a cracker.

Well led, cap'n! You may not have been the most talkative captain, but you still led by example! :D

bartman

Immortal
FTR and for the ref's information, I understand that the rules are on the F7s website at forumsevens.com. http://www.forumsevens.com.au/rules.php

In particular: 650-750 words: no penalty

Drew-sta wrote a top notch article and his 699 words was well within the rules.
Thanks for clearing that up W. Glad that one word at that level wasn't an issue - as a result I've deleted the part about potential word count from my comments above.

Titanic

First Grade
Dusted the ole cobwebs out - let some new ones in.

Great game everybody ... special thanks Bart for the 749 (OWC) comments :)

2011 season draw out Monday

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
woo.

I'm going to use the words arse and nice person in all my articles now given their overwhelming success here haha

Jesbass

First Grade
woo.

I'm going to use the words arse and nice person in all my articles now given their overwhelming success here haha

I reckon I was only one nice person away from a 95.

Wait, that didn't come out right. :sarcasm:

Hang on, neither did that. :oops:

Latest posts