What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 ROUND 1: Titans -V- Dragons

Jesbass

First Grade
Match Report:

T'was a sunny day at Skilled Park when the Titans hosted the Dragons. Both teams were coming off strong seasons in 2010 where they had found themselves as opponents in the finals series.

To nobody's surprise, the game got off to a cracking start when St. Linnane took the first hitup for the Dragons, knocking a Titans player to the ground with the first play of the match. His hard running caused early troubles for the Gold Coast defence, eventually leading to the first scoring play when the Dragons halfback profited from the extra time and space, eventually putting the winger over in the corner.

This was a great tale of changes, starting with your own lamentations, but resulting in a positive change for your colleague. This article was very humorous in places, and I enjoyed the conversational style. I noted one missing apostrophe, (and I'm a pedant for such things), but it didn't affect the flow of the article, so I didn't dock any points for that. I can also relate - my tipping has me on only 7 at the moment! 88

Dragons lead 88-0.

St. Linnane's teammate murphyscreek also caused havoc in the middle of the field with his bullocking runs, and after a few more sets, the Dragons were in again on the back of the strong platform laid by the St George pack.

I think this is the first time I've seen a shaggy dog story as an F7s article. I'm a real sucker for this form of humour, too. I also liked that there was a sense of truth to this piece: two communities doing it tough but looking to press onwards anyway; two communities hit hard by the weather (the wind generated by the helicopter); Grantham receiving a royal visit. Great piece. 87

Dragons lead 175-0.

The one sided start continued when honrbyslilhottie24 chipped ahead and chased, rounding the Titans fullback to score near the posts, saluting the Ben Hornby impersonators in the crowd as the conversion went over.

This was a colourful tale of a supporter's birthday trip to see their team open their title defense. It felt like it lacked a little direction in that the first half or so seemed like it was a build up to the game, but the game itself didn't form much of the article. Even so, it sounds like you had a fantastic time, and I agree that it's great to finally have the season underway! 84

Dragons lead 259-0.

Just as the game threatened to escape their grasp, the Titans struck back through their talismanic captain Titanic, who crashed over the try line following one of the home side's first attacking scrums.

I really enjoyed the symbolism in this piece, and your increasing frustration as you got chipped, chopped, and chucked around by the NRL. I live by delayed footage, so I suppose I should be grateful that I have even that! I felt like the ending was a bit abrupt, as though a closing remark to spuds would have been of benefit. 89

Dragons lead 259-89.

Having led from the front, Titanic had opened the way for tits&tans to give Titans fans a sniff of a comeback with a slick dummy half run for a try directly under the posts.

Wow, so thought provoking! As a young father, I really enjoyed the style of this piece and the allegorical style of the story. This was a very, very easy read in the way it flowed, and to complete the ‘story book’ approach with a moral at the end was just brilliant – very, very fresh. 90

Dragons lead 259-179.

There was only time for three more tackles before the half time siren sounded and the teams headed for the dressing rooms.

HALF TIME: Dragons lead 259-179.

The half time break did nothing to stem the home team's momentum when, just a few minutes into the second half, they scored through TITs ANonymouS. The Dragons looked less than happy as the Titans centre collected an intercept and ran untouched to score, enabling Gold Coast to take the lead for the first time.

This was a strong opinion piece on escaping the pre-season and the dramas that regularly seem to accompany it. Your voice was very clear and strong. A few grammatical glitches held you back slightly – I’m a real pedant for such things, and a missing apostrophe here or there can make a real difference. Also, watch out for American spelling, like ‘idolized’. 86

Titans lead 265-259.

The Titans, courtesy of Amadean, finished off a slick backline move for the home side shortly thereafter when an incomplete tackle and audacious offload pushed the Titans further ahead.

I experienced fantasy football for the first time last year. I dabble in philosophy as a hobby, so assumptions, assertions, and arguments are familiar to me. I love to hate the brilliantly talented but grubby Paul Gallen. As such, this article was almost the perfect storm. A brilliant read. 91

Titans lead 356-259.

Seeking to arrest his team's disappointing defensive lapses, Dragons captain dubopov struck back, throwing a dummy that the Titans defence bought hook, line and sinker. He dived over the tryline, showing that there was still life in St George just yet.

Wow, what a tale! I have no idea if this is fiction - but if it is, it's strangely believable! There were a few grammatical blips, which was unfortunate, because it hindered your score slightly. But the imagery you created as you wove the tale helped to negate that somewhat. 86

Titans lead 356-345.

With the clock running down, the Titans hoped to finish off the Dragons when Big Pete stormed onto an offload and, running a good angle, was able to burrow over the line despite a spirited defensive effort from the visitors.

To forgive or not to forgive – it’s a great question. It reminds me of the time I saw a serious case of misconduct that resulted in a player from the club I support getting sacked. I think the content of your article is strong and thought provoking, but I found the flow difficult to maintain due to the number of long sentences. Perhaps breaking it up with a short sentence or a few more commas would help with that. But the message itself couldn’t be faulted. 88

Titans lead 444-345.

The Dragons sparked a potential late comeback with a short kickoff, which late substitute DRAGONZ_RULE took advantage of and somehow evaded defenders as he flirted with the sideline.

This was a fantastic piece. The repetition of the first and last sentence really kept the article focused and on track, and as a result, you didn’t waver for even a moment. I’m still waiting for my first time – hopefully it’ll be as good as yours! 91

Titans lead 444-436.

The Dragons rushed back to their side of halfway, but the Titans deliberately stalled, and, with the home side still yet to restart, the referee called an end to the match as the siren sounded.

FULL TIME: Titans defeat the Dragons 444-436.

Score Sheet:

St George Dragons:
St. Linnane: 88
murphyscreek: 87
hornbyslilhottie24: 84
dubopov: 86
DRAGONZ_RULE: 91

Gold Coast Titans:
Titanic: 89
tits&tans: 90
TITs ANonymous: 86
Amadean: 91
Big Pete: 88

POTM: DRAGONZ_RULE, Amadean

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
We may not be able to get a win in the NRL but a first-up start in the real game will do us at this stage.

Great effort Titans, onwards and upwards. Onya Ama the Hammer.

Good effort Dragons and top shot DR.

Thanks JB for the classy effort, it seems that Bill Harrigan's influence is already making its mark with little whistle blowing promoting a fast-paced game.

dubopov

Coach
lol .. titanic .. a great comparison to bill hooligan .. the most dishonest *edit* merkin in the history of the nrl ..

good luck titans ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Amadean

Juniors
Cheers for the quick marking Jezza - and congrats to DRAGZ for a top piece of work.

Carn the Titans for 11!

btw, Jezza mate, I love the marking half-on-half style - full points for creativity there mate.

tits&tans

Juniors
JB - best marking I have seen in this F7s comp (and rather because of the creativity than the result) (correct me if I am wrong, but I think this may be the first time the referee has produced such an account of the match) ...

Can we give you a score? :)

Titans - best start to the season we could hope for. We are back and here to stay. Onya!

Dragons - Great work youse lot. And awesome article DR.

Jesbass

First Grade
Thanks guys. I wanted to bring my own flavour to the whistle and a bit of a 'story' to the result. After marking each article, I posted the individual scores in the order that the articles were submitted with the intention of adding a bit of colour to the match report. :thumn

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Love the marking Jess, great effort :)

Grats to Titans and Saints on a tight game. Both teams had some top articles :)

Drew-Sta

Staff member
8 points is not a flogging dubo :) Well, not in my books. It's 1.6 points off the mark per player. That, in my opinion, is relatively close.

dubopov

Coach
8 points is not a flogging dubo :) Well, not in my books. It's 1.6 points off the mark per player. That, in my opinion, is relatively close.

I agree to an extent .. except the difference is huge in the context of most games .. and the standard of articles was a lot closer than the scores indicate..