What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 ROUND 5: Ninjas -V- Panthers

Jesbass

First Grade
Chuck Norris Texas Death Ninjas -V- Penrith Panthers

ChuckNorris.gif
-V-
pen-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 2 reserves for the visiting team, + 3 reserves for the home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://forumsevens.com.au/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://forumsevens.com.au/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 15th May 2011 (2100AEST)
Full Time: Thursday 26th May 2011 (2100AEST)
Referee: Jesbass
Venue: Reliant Stadium
ReliantStadium_nightshot.jpg

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
CNTDN name their team (great new logo, the red x really compliments our jerseys):

jamesgould
Hallatia
gUt
joshie
Raider 69

Bench
edabomb (c)
paulquinn49 (c)
CobyDelaney

gUt

Coach
Thanksgiving

Every week in the NRL we see the very best athletes from all around the world compete for our delectation. These men dazzle us with their athletic prowess, which is the culmination of years of training and sacrifice. However, many of them aren’t out there alone. Religion is a central part of many players’ private lives but occasionally we get to see a glimpse of their deeply held feelings of faith. Let’s take a look at the various ways that our favourite players commune with the divine.

Christianity

Many NRL players would identify themselves as Christians. From the mainstream sects, through to Mormonism and Pentecostalism, evidently Christ is a league fan. Players can be seen every week with a crucifix drawn on a wristband or inked into skin. A quick glance skyward following a try being scored suffices to let the Lord know that a player appreciates His heavenly help. Strangely though, noted Christian PJ Marsh was not as demonstrative following his unfortunate broken neck. However it should be remembered that the injury was suffered against Parramatta and Jesus is a fervent supporter of the Eels.

72319680-508B-F321-190EAD72157C39D6.JPG

Parramatta’s number one ticket holder

Islam

The best-known follower of Mohammed in the nrl was the great Hazem El Masri. This devout Muslim continues to be a credit to his community and his faith. However, the demands of playing NRL football run the risk of interfering with the strict demands of the salat, the ritual prayer performed by Muslims five times each day. El Masri ensured he did not miss his afternoon or evening prayer, by facing Mecca whenever he scored a try. Allah must have been pleased with his efforts judging by the way the great man miraculously bent the ball through the posts.

Norse Paganism

Brad Meyers grew his enormous beard in honour of his chosen personal deity, Odin. Odin is the father of the Norse gods who created the world from the body of Ymir, a frost giant. Other notable gods in this pantheon include Thor, Wotan, Loki and Frikko. Frikko is known for bestowing mortals with peace and pleasure, and for his enormous phallus. Only his devotees know whether these factors are connected. The 2008 Warriors side dabbled with this religion when they famously all grew their beards. These were removed at a charity event, which was unfortunately destroyed by lightning strikes and earthquakes.

Zoroastrianism

Gorden Tallis is widely remembered as one of the most aggressive players to ever play the game. Adjectives like “fiery”, “fire-brand” and “fired-up” were often attached to his name by enthralled commentators. The reason for his confrontational style is Tallis’ deep commitment to Zoroastrianism, the ancient prophetic religion that originated centuries before Christ. Tallis was regularly seen reading his copy of the Avesta before games and was convinced opponents were manifestations of druj, or evil. Zoroastrians keep a sacred fire burning at all times and Tallis ensured his red-hot brand of football by keeping his sacred fire burning in a specially designed container down his shorts.

tallis_gallery__409x400.jpg

Gorden Tallis discusses religion with Robbie Kearns

The Left-Hand Path (Satanism)

Acolytes of the modern day Church of Satan proclaim that they are not devil-worshipers, but instead seek spiritual enlightenment by shunning social conventions and living by a creed of personal anarchy. This can include sexual experimentation, pleasure seeking and other forms of personal gratification. Sonny Bill Williams is a noted practitioner of the left hand path, pursuing his spiritual enlightenment via ignoring the social norm of not abandoning your club mid-season, chasing the dollar in a backwater competition and having sex with Candice Falzon in a nightclub toilet.

Aztec

At a recent press conference, when asked about his chances of becoming the next queensland state of origin captain, Melbourne’s Cameron Smith answered:
Life is because of the gods; with their sacrifice they gave us life.... They produce our sustenance... Which nourishes life.
This is not surprising when you consider he is high priest of a Melbourne-based sun-worshipping Aztec cult. Smith has built a large step-pyramid at his home where he regularly sacrifices captives from surrounding neighbourhoods, placing their still-beating hearts in a jaguar-shaped cuauhxicalli and keeping a tzompantli, or skull rack, in his locker. His efforts are bearing fruit if Melbourne weather reports are anything to go by, with the sun allegedly shining in Melbourne for a cumulative period of four days since Smith joined the club in 2002.

569px-Codex_Magliabechiano_%28141_cropped%29.jpg

Smith at home, yesterday.

Next week: Orthodox Jew Chris Sandow recites from the Torah.
===================================================================================================

source: wikipedia

747 owc

Last edited:

joshie

Live Update Team
gUt offloads the ball to joshie as he hits it up for the panthers, his old club, he is ready for blood! 749 OWC

Leashing the Beast

Mental illness affects one in seven adults in Australia with implications for many families. It creates problems for the individual with the illness and can split loving families asunder. The increasing rate of youth depression, often combined with the lack of a safe and secure home, is alarming. I have met this demon face to face.

My dad and sister have both suffered severe illness, nearly destroying the fabric of our family. Mum left an abusive marriage when I was four. Sneaking out in the middle of the night to leave for my Nanny and Poppy's house in Auckland, too scared to tell my father. The irony never dawned on me then but that culture of violence had been instilled in my family just like that in many Rugby League clubs.

As I wrestled with puberty, the rage inside of me was uncontrollable. Doctors diagnosed it as mimicking what I had witnessed from a young age. I never, under any circumstances, lashed out at my family but kids at school felt the beast in me. One memorable day, some guy called me fat. I picked him up by his necklace, choking him. I did let him go eventually; however, my intent was clear. This was one of the many dark moments in my youth although now I struggle to comprehend what went through my mind. My sister being just a year younger, also experienced a growing inner turmoil. She had what was for us a typical teenage life, being bullied non-stop and fights. Her way of escaping this was to immerse herself in the online fantasyland of “World of Warcraft”. She had found a haven and I was left to battle on alone.

Out of the blue, I was approached by a then stranger, I won’t disclose his name. He had recognised the coiled-dragon I had hidden away inside of me. He wanted to harness it and turn it into a good thing. He cajoled me into joining his Rugby League team and emphasized that I would be playing in the forwards. Being an epileptic I had always shied away from contact sports but headgear came to my rescue. I quickly realised this was a way out.

Learning how to tackle, with a controlled aggression was my biggest challenge, seriously injuring three kids along the way. I lifted against the No Lift Rule before U13, I shoulder charged when it was illegal in junior sport and worst of all, I attempted to grass cut. This was something I was not only doing for fun, but to change my life. I needed discipline. My inner-goal was to become popular and to put an end to the bullying.

As I continued to grow, my sister slipped further into the abyss of the internet. She was addicted and never saw daylight. She was in turmoil, isolated from reality. She had no release for pent-up emotions and her depression grew while I reached up from the depths grasping for salvation. My tackling was ferocious, I hit it up with reckless abandon and I was feared. Yet my father had left me a legacy, a short fuse and a penchant towards physical violence. When his influence dominated my play, I was suspended for 8 weeks. I had lashed-out at a player, collecting his ribs, sparking an all-in brawl and forcing me out of the game. I stopped playing, fearful of my own lack of control.

Predictably, my anger returned and soon reached intolerable levels. I decided on a new tack. My sister had tried to indoctrinate me into the World of Warcraft but it wasn't for me. I needed the bash and barge of league. Wrong, I didn’t need it, I craved it.

Amazingly, my masochistic outlet had an unexpected byproduct - my sister’s redemption. When I renewed my joust with rugby league, my sister wanted the secrets of my new-found equilibrium. I shared my single-minded passion and her life turned around. For the first time we looked to the future with optimism, without the red haze.

The skills that rugby league has taught me in anger control, have all but eradicated my former unsavory self. I am content with my lot and no longer need to draw on my dark side for inspiration. My sister, too, now basks in life’s sunshine. For many, sport is entertainment; for them it’s about friends, fitness and relaxation. Make no mistake, mental illness can kill, but my sport, rugby league has thrown us a lifeline.

Big Mick

Referee
Panthers team to take on the Ninja's

1. Azkatro
2. Madunit
3. Leaguenut
4. Broncoman
5. RayRoxon

RES:
6. Big Mick
7. Goleel

broncoman

Juniors
broncoman
#4 Panthers

Nothing Beats Being There

We hear everyday now about Rugby League's big pay day that is coming, "Woohoo we are going to get over 1 billion dollars!!!" Huge amounts of money is being promised to players all on the back of what the code is going to get in the way of the next television deal. Yes this is fantastic, the players deserve more money and the spectators have to be able to see every game they want but what about the loyal fans that turn up to 12 or 13 games every year? How are they going to be looked after with the influx of money that is sure to come?

Yes I have titled this article "Nothing Bears Being There" as a way of pushing the fact that the real supporters are those that go to the game, that’s not to say people who work, live out of town, out of the state or country even don't support their teams as much however it is these fans, usually between ten and twenty thousand that go to the majority of the games that allow the code to survive. When the game gets its inevitable billion dollar win fall the first step has to be making going to the game more affordable, lowering ticket prices and or offering food vouchers or cheaper parking won't hit the back pockets of the clubs nearly as much as it will improve the likelihood that the middle classes of society are going to attend NRL matches.

Watching the games on TV is great in its own right, the excitement of the commentators, the replays and the comfort of your own home are all appealing to the average pundit but can this really stack up to being at the games? I don't think so. The opportunity to be at the game in amongst the action actually makes you feel like you are part of team regardless of the result, being able to clap the players off the field or feel like you made a difference when your team gets a penalty after five minutes of constant booing to the referee, none of these feelings you can get at home. Then there is the buzz of being with thousands of like minded people all there with one common interest, it's nothing you can get anywhere else.

Most of all it's actually great to feel like you are part of something, particularly in a country like Australia where religion, groups and other such things aren't as prominent as they are in other places around the world it's the closest thing a lot of people get to that. Add to that it's one of the few luxuries we can make the most of in our busy lives, with most Australian's working 50+ hour weeks going to the footy on the weekend is one of the few things you can really look forward to.

Getting the kids to the game from a young age is of the utmost importance, I remember my father taking me to games in the early 90's and these are memories that have stuck with me into my late twenties, when I have the chance to take my kids to the games I'll certainly be making the most of it.

The great thing about being a rugby league supporter is the cultural diversity that exists, being at the game watching players and teams made up of men from all walks of life while being a crowd of people from all classes of society is something that you won't get anywhere else. From a personal point of view being at the stadium certainty beats the hell out of watching it on TV in this regard, while some people may complain about the behaviour of a small amount of people the truth when there as many matches in the game there are very few incidences that are worth thinking twice about.

Finally it's just a great feeling being at the games, nothing beats watching your team win, lining up for a pie and just the general excitement of everything that happens at the game. The Toyota Cup is worth turning up for and the pre match entertainment doesn’t make it to television, overall it's just a far better product when you enjoy it for all that it is at the game compared to what it is in front of the idiot box.
-----------------
735 words above the line

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raider_69 for the Ninja's, gets the call from the coach, he dusts off his old boots and charges from the sidelines into the battle, then past the battle and out to the opposite wing to have a breather from the exhausting run onto the pitch.
-----------------------------------------
The eye of a Flamingo:

Denny Crane is a man of few words, mostly two - Denny Crane. This however does not preclude him from offering the Rugby League some nuggets of wisdom. After all, he is a flamingo. And we all know a man not afraid to weak a pink flamingo suit is a real man and one we can learn a great deal from.

The Crane legacy to Rugby League flows through his words. Now i know what you are all thinking; Denny Crane? Isn't that the lawyer in America, who used to captain the Starship Enterprise? What would he know about RL?
You might be surprised to learn the man has been delivering his own brand of insightful commentary on this great game of ours, his entire 5 years as an attorney.

I first want to point you to fact Denny Crane has never lost and never will. Ask him, he'll tell you so. Is this a commentary on his trial attorney skills, or simply just homage to Wayne Bennett's flawless GF record?
(The media are allowed to forget the 87 grand final, so surely i can too!)

I must also refer you to this quote: "Don't waste your time trying to get into my head. There's nothing there."
Now one could be confused for thinking this was simply Denny's message to a dear friend about his decline into Alzheimer. But i think we all can clearly see this was Denny's way of warning the NRL about the density of Todd Carney. His clear warning fell on deaf ears.

But it’s not just legal matters he can offer his insight on, but also on the issue of aging players. And that age old question, when is it time to retire?
''I may not be the Denny Crane I once was, but until today I didn't realise that this Denny Crane might be even better.''

What better way to illustrate the struggle of the decision to play on or retire gracefully. Replace the words "Denny Crane" with the words "Jason Smith" and it just about summarises the last great chain smoking, case drinking, do it in their own time footballer.

I'm not sure i have the heart to tell Matt Orford that Denny Crane wasn't referring to him when he made such a statement. Darren Lockyer got the hint; perhaps Orford will need to listen more carefully to Denny. After all this is what he said in 2008, the year Matt Orford won the Dally M Medal, a Grand Final and orgestrated a systematic flogging of a super team.
"Denny Crane: [Discussing their upcoming case - and the series finale] Hey, maybe I'll retire after this.
Alan Shore: Don't be ridiculous...
Denny Crane: Well, what better way to go out? My last game - in a grand final. Now there's a finale, Alan."

Ok so maybe i had to change some words but I digress.

In his time as a world renowned lawyer, Denny Crane gave us the secret to both trial law and life, but also the secret to RL. "Pull a rabbit out of your hat". And so says Denny Crane and so the NRL follows suit.
Be it via the SBW or Mateo offload, the Anasta 40 yard field goal as time expires or Benji's flick to Richards.
It’s often referred to as the x-factor, but by any other name, it is as Denny Crane says, the ability to pull a rabbit out of the hat that often separates the good from the great.

Throw enough darts and you'll hit a bullseye right? Wrong!

Denny Crane can not only summarise the challenges facing the players but he also captures the hope and joy of tomorrow. In an interesting exchange with Alan Shore, Denny captures the hope that next season can bring.
If i haven’t convinced you yet, you've obviously got the mad cow and there is simply no saving you. But in one last ditch attempt to turn you into a believer, I’ll tell you a joke, which is based on a true(ish) story about our games greatest coach - Wayne Bennett

David Gower walks into Dragons facilities for the first time and meets Peter Doust; Dousty lets him in and shows him to the training ground where training has started. David sees a guy in a suit holding up a premiership and ordering the Dragons around the park. Gower says, "Who's that?" St. Peter says, "Oh, that's Wayne. Thinks he's Denny Crane."

Defense rests. Denny Crane.
-------------------------
Word Count: 749

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Panthers

NRL Dictionary

Over the past decade there have been a number of accidental and deliberate controversies by players, clubs and officials within the game, which has dented our reputation.

Adding to this has been an unfortunate misconception by the general public and sections of the media, that we, the NRL, have at times been inconsistent.

We realise and understand this inconsistent perception of the NRL has been caused by our varying interpretations of particular definitions.

Therefore, in an attempt to remedy the issue, we have come up with an NRL dictionary, which will be given to all players, coaches, officials and clubs. In it are words that we have an alternate interpretation of, along with the common and the NRL definitions.

If any future misdemeanors are to occur, we will assume you have read this dictionary and will punish offenders very heavily.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allege
Actual definition: v. Ah-ledge – state without proof
NRL definition: v. Gill-tee – having committed an act of ill-repute, illegality or immorality. Verdict handed down by a NRL tribunal prior to actual legal hearing.

Apology
Actual definition: n. Ah-poll-o-gee – an expression of regret for a wrongdoing.
NRL definition: n. Sigh-lent – the self-admission that you made an error and state you will carry out a list of measures, none of which are ever actually done.

Assault
Actual definition: n & v. Ah-salt – (make) a violent attack, physical, verbal or mental.
NRL definition: n & v. Bond-ing-Sess-shun – an action caused by good people who have become socially excitable, usually provoked by the public.

Cheat
Actual definition: v. Cheet – an act of dishonesty, or to act unfairly to gain an advantage.
NRL definition: v. May-king-us-look-stew-pid – an intentional breach of our guidelines without making it obvious what you have done, thus making us look foolish.

Consistent
Actual definition: adj. Con-siss-tent – regular; unchanging. In agreement; not conflicting.
NRL definition: adj. In-con-siss-tent – depending on matter being dealt with, we make an agreement based on the like or dislike the media, court (NRL definition) or fellow board members have regarding subject.

Court
Actual definition: n. Cawt – the judge, the jury, and law officers who hear and preside over legal cases.
NRL definition: n. Joo-dish-ar-ee – The NRL judiciary, whom have no legal qualifications, but know if certain unlawful acts are a particular players ‘go’ or not. Have persuasion over law courts, but we are not to be seen as such.

Crime
Actual definition: n. Cry-m – a serious offence punishable by the law.
NRL definition: n. Bring-ing-the-gaym-in-to-dis-re-pewt – a serious offence that draws negative headlines and has the potential to minimize prospective income for the NRL. Will be dealt with by the court (NRL definition)

Drug
Actual definition: n. Drug – an illegal substance taken for its stimulating or other effects, mostly unnatural.
NRL definition: n. Med-e-cay-shun – depending on the player, the drug may be linked to serious illness (known as martyr) or could be linked to a violent underworld regime capable of ruling the planet. The clarification is decided by the court (NRL definition) to determine if the allegation (NRL definition) deserves to have action taken.

Drunk
Actual definition: adj. Drunk – strongly affected by over consumption of alcohol.
NRL definition: adj. See-sun-lawnch – the action of promoting our game in a manner that makes one (or several) person(s) more easily accessible with the media, who are constantly drunk (actual definition).

Gamble
Actual definition: v. Gam-bull – play games of chance for financial gain. Risk in the hope to attain some return.
NRL definition: v. Shawt-chayn-jing-us – taking advantage of our hard work to get gambling organisations to give us their sponsorship money, and then using our game to make quick easy money for yourself. Also linked with both definitions of ‘cheat’.

Guilty
Actual definition: adj. Gill-tee – taking responsibility for a specified wrongdoing.
NRL definition: adj. Wash-ing-ow-hands – An action where a person is alleged (NRL definition) of committing an act, and based on an unfavourable court (NRL definition) hearing, you are forced to make an apology (actual definition) for a crime (NRL definition) that you may or may not have committed. See ‘allege’ (NRL definition).

Justify
Actual definition: v. Jus-tee-fy – show to be right or reasonable.
NRL definition: v. Ly-ing – making an unreasonable decision and then going to great lengths to exacerbate the issue to make our decision appear reasonable. Usually followed by an apology (NRL definition).

Please take the time to thoroughly understand these subtle differences. We will endeavor to revise these definitions over time as we see fit.

See consistent (NRL definition).

740 words, including title, in OWC

Source
Oxford Dictionary

LeagueNut

First Grade
LeagueNut (Panthers)
pen-main.jpg

Sign here

Contract negotiations can be tricky things. Clubs need to use every possible advantage and the Warriors know this all too well.

So when Don Mann (Warriors General Manager) and Dean Bell (Recruitment Manager) were planning to meet with the very promising James Maloney and his agent Wayne Beavis, they knew they had to bring out the big guns.

It started out innocently enough in the foyer – handshakes all around, general small talk and chit-chat – before Don gestured to the others to move down the hallway.

“We’re doing some renovating at the moment boys – we’ll have to use a different office”

James and Wayne followed as Don and Dean led the way. They walked past the management offices and took a left turn down a staircase. Their path took a few more turns and seemed to be gradually getting darker. James was sure he felt a cobweb or two as well.

“Here we are boys – come on in”

Don held aside the beaded curtain for the others. A waft of pale blue smoke blew past them.

“What the hell is this?”

“Don’t be like that James – come through”

The four of them stood around a small round table. The hunched figure in the corner extended a wobbly arm towards them.

“James, Wayne – this is Madame Dudurka”

She let out a very light groan, croaky yet soothing.

James freely shook the old lady’s hand, almost convinced he was being set up. Wayne was a little more subdued.

“Now please take a seat and we’ll get right down to it”

And then the negotiations began. The four men sat around the table presenting their cases and laying some of their cards on the table. Madame Dudurka sat silently with her head bowed – you could almost swear she was sleeping.

“So that’s as high as you’ll go?” – Wayne sounded almost dismissive.

“Not quite Wayne. There’s one more part of our offer you’ll find most interesting”

“This is bullshit!” cried Wayne. “You can’t keep doing this!”

James piped up - “What the hell is going on??”

“Please Wayne, keep calm. James, I’ll be straight with you. Madame Dudurka works for the club in an off-field role and helps us proactively encourage Australian players to stay loyal to the Warriors”

“Aye?!?”

“She’s a flippin gypsy – she curses people!”

“Wayne, please!”

Madame Dudurka let out a low cackle.

“It’s not a curse James – it’s simply a paranormal incentive to stay committed to the Warriors. And the best thing of all is that it can’t be measured under the salary cap!”

“So if I leave, she’d … curse me?”

The cackle was a bit louder this time.

Wayne was getting flustered. “They do this all the time. I’ve heard stories about it but I’ve never actually seen it. You won’t be able to escape…”

James looked around with a slight panic beginning to settle in.

Dan decided to strike. “Her record speaks for itself James. Very few Australian players have actually left the Warriors and gone on to play better football. Their best form, and the best years of their lives, are had at the Warriors”

“Are you f**king serious??”

“James, please stay calm. There’s more than enough evidence right here to convince you”

Dan handed over a manilla folder. James flicked through each of the pages looking more and more stunned with each passing minute.

“That’s Robert Mears. He was talked up as a Kangaroo World Cup representative before he decided to leave. Within two years he had a steel plate in his skull thanks to an ‘accidental’ tackle. He was a shadow of his former self when he slinked off to the Tigers a few years later”

“Ahh, that’s Mark Tookey. He went from fringe first-grader to knocking on the door of Origin selection. Once he left, he was never heard from again”

Madame Dudurka scratched the wart on her nose.

“Then there are the players who gained their one and only representative jerseys from this mighty club – Richard Villasanti, Kevin Campion and Wade McKinnon. Did any of them come close to the same levels of performance once they left?”

“Why do you think Steve Price chose to stay in New Zealand once he’d retired? He knows that a move away from the club would spell certain doom”

Dean pushed a piece of paper closer to James. Wayne was sitting in the corner quietly sobbing. James slowly looked up to see Dean extending a pen towards him.

“How about it James? What do you say?”

749 words including title

Azkatro

First Grade
panthers.gif

Azkatro posting for the Panthers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The unique Origin fever

We are truly privileged to have State of Origin in our lives.

In a world where professionalism in sport absolutely dominates the landscape, Origin somehow continues to encapsulate a magic that disappeared from club football a long time ago.

My pessimistic side still thinks that it’s only a matter of time before it gets ironed out of Origin too. But it has been 30 years now and the spark is still as bright as ever.

Last night we saw a new breed of New South Welshmen enter the mighty cauldron formerly known as Lang Park. Despite the so-called professional preparation of the team, they clearly carried the same magic that generations of players before them have exhibited.

It’s hard to put into succinct terms what that is exactly. In a way, you sense more emotion coming out in everything they do on the field. I’ve watched Josh Dugan play dozens of club games and he certainly carries a great deal of ferocity when he returns the ball from a kick. With an Origin jersey on though, the aggression and hunger was turned up to 11; he had a demonic look in his eyes and his face strained with incredible exertion.

Akuila Uate is another example of this. The enthusiasm and energy he ran the ball with was enough to get my blood pumping. As a Queensland supporter I desperately wanted him stopped in his tracks, but he ran with such passion that I couldn’t help but feel thrilled by what I was witnessing. The force with which he smashed into the defense was almost frightening, and at one stage the ball was jolted free of his grasp as a result of a collision. Uate was running the ball with such fervour, and he sought another big impact with the defensive line so desperately that ball security was relegated to little more than an inconsequential concern.

What underscored the excitement he exuded in his play was a moment in which he caught a kick within the in-goal area, resulting in a 20m tap. Uate had no interest in the taking the tap – he was too busy running to the other end of the field. Because he saw a gap in the defense he felt he could exploit, the moment filled him with pure adrenalin. At the time I questioned Uate’s understanding of the rules, but in hindsight, he exhibited an intoxication you sometimes see in young kids. In this day and age, that’s a rare and welcome sight to behold.

This kind of feeling permeates through the players, coaches and fans when you watch State of Origin football. I’m not going to suggest for a moment that passion is unique to Origin, because that’s ridiculous. Anyone with half a clue knows how much the game of association football means to so many across the globe. But what separates an event like Origin from say, the FIFA World Cup, is the physical aggression and exertion you see in the players. There are no real impacts in the round-ball game. It is more about running and tactical skill (and maybe a bit of play-acting).

In football, never will you see someone take the ball and literally launch themselves at full speed into an opposition player – and absolutely love it. Sure, there are other codes of football that involve big collisions – none more so than American football – but rarely do they bring the sense of feeling and emotion that Origin carries. And it’s not just the supporters, but the coaches, officials, and players. Heck, even sense those in the media are bursting with anticipation when previewing an Origin game.

Even if the casual fan manages to avoid the thrill of the Origin buildup, as soon as they start watching it on television, they are hooked. Through all of the tactics, plays and ploys shines a human side that is impossible not to watch. If a player is ever going to make an uncharacteristic mistake, it will happen in an Origin match. Or if they hold an otherwise hidden capacity to do something brilliant or heroic that is only revealed when they are tested to their utmost extreme, it will happen in an Origin match.

Origin brings that all out of the players and that’s what makes it so amazing to watch, for any lover of sport. It connects with us on a primal level.

And it’s why we are truly privileged to have it in our lives.

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

jamesgould

Juniors
Dreaming

There were precisely seven minutes left on the clock when the dream began. With his side 10 points behind on the scoreline and deep inside their own territory, Joel somehow managed to skewer through the opposition defence. As he outsprinted the cover, the opposition fullback emerged as his only barrier to the tryline. A split second decision and he chipped over the fullback’s outstretched arms, received the perfect bounce and sauntered under the posts.

With the try converted, the deficit was only four. Seemingly immediately, they were within range for a final surge. Only two minutes remained when Joel dummied on the last, used all his leg drive and somehow managed to wrestle over wide out for a second try. The 80,000 strong crowd cheered wildly and groaned in equal measure. The atmosphere was incredible as Joel lined up his angled conversion.

As time clicked down and the electricity seemed to surge all around him, everything went quiet for Joel. He remembered all the hours of practice, over 15 years playing the game, that had lead to this moment. He remembered all the coaches, all the wisdom that he had absorbed. He remembered all the accolades and predictions that he was something special. Somehow, he barely thought about where he was - almost forgetting that he had kicked it, as he anxiously looked up to see the ball sail between the posts.

-------------------------------------

That was where the dream began.

Three years later, Joel woke up, alone in his 17th story apartment. He managed to open his dry eyes, and with bleary and mangled vision made out the figures 3:17 PM. He wiped his eyes and looked around further, surveying the room. It occurred to him what a disgusting mess his once immaculate quarters had become.

He got up off the ground where he had fallen asleep ... or to be honest, lost consciousness, around 11 hours earlier. He realised he was still wearing his suit trousers and shirt from the previous day, although they were now far from giving the pristine impression of a man reformed that they had the day prior.

He headed to the sink and splashed his face with water. Realising there was vomit on his cheek he cleaned it off and washed his mouth out by drinking straight from the tap.

As his head cleared a little more he ventured outside his door to grab the paper. Turning to the back page, his face was of course splashed across it. Joel wondered what he had done to deserve all this attention. He remembered back to the grand final that he had pulled from the fire – some called it the greatest individual performance ever. Everyone loved him - he was the toast of town. Now he was a fallen hero and an embattled star, according to the headlines before his eyes.

He remembered partying after that grand final – people buying him drinks, insisting he have one more, one more. He remembered getting a pill pressed into his hand. An attractive girl telling him he could come back to hers if he just took it.

He remembered that part of the story well, but the next few years were more often than not a haze. He could barely remember his team’s fortunes in the following seasons. He knew the young team hadn’t lived up to the potential they were supposed to have. He heard that a lot. He was pretty sure they were regarded by the media, fans, and anyone else who cared to have an opinion as a miserable failure.

He took one final look at the back page before grabbing it violently and hurling it against the wall. Dragging himself off the floor, he slumped into the couch. One thing was for sure, all those friends, well-wishers, girls ... they were all gone. He hadn’t had a visitor in weeks, other than his lawyer. Not that anyone would be welcome ... or would want to visit, given the state of his dwellings.

He wondered where that girl was now ... the one who gave him his first hit. Joel’s head sunk at the thought. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a small plastic packet on the floor. Probably only half empty. He lunged forward to grab it, but stopped himself.

He remembered his words at the court yesterday. He was sorry, it wouldn’t happen again. He was changing – he’d get help. As he slowly reached for the pills, tears ran down his face.

The dream was over.

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
edabomb for the Ninjas
----------------------------------------------------------

The Final Season

October 5th

Steve sat back, completely contented. His side had just beaten ‘the Purples’ by 40 odd in the Grand Final, and he’d managed to nab a late try to add to the experience. The changing room was packed full of pure joy, the type you very rarely see in adult life. All the hard work over the past ten months had paid off ten-fold. Steve had been here before years earlier, he’d been consumed with trying to suck up every minute of the celebration. Now, more than a decade on, those memories had faded, and he realised it was better to cut loose and enjoy the experience while it was here. The boys did just that, partying until the early hours and confirming a bond they would hold from here on. Steve had played his last match in the toughest Rugby League completion in the world, and it had been a fairytale.

September 6th

It was the final round of the regular season and the Sea Eagles were playing the Panthers. They had been reminded of this a few moments earlier by an ebullient young winger who had broken with club policy and shouted “let’s stick it up those Panthers!!” “Oi, it’s ‘the Blacks’, not the Panthers” responded several members of the team. Steve chuckled in his dressing room spot, no-one dared to question his reaction though. This was the latest trend of the day – call the sides you’re playing by the colour of their strip and not their team name. Coaches believed it dehumanised the opposition and gave them an edge, all they had to beat now were thirteen individuals. With the team running at seventeen losses and seven wins thus far it was hard to argue with the pop psychology theory. Steve chuckled as he had seen these pop theories before, back to the nasal strips of the mid 1990s. The theory held no weight that day as they demolished the Panthers despite knowing their team name. They’d booked their place in the top two sides.

July 17th

This was the day of days. Steve decided that after fifteen years in the top grade it was time to move on. Still playing at an elite level it was a tough call. But his body was beginning to fail him; it couldn’t do what he instructed it to with any regularity. He also had a chance at a new experience overseas. He was lucky to work in an area where his skills were always in demand, and had already had a very lucrative offer from the United Kingdom he’d decided to take up. The players were saddened by the news, but no-one begrudged him. He could have easily played on another couple of years, but the time was right. As he addressed the team he reminded them of the hard work that had labelled them as one of the top two premiership favourites. “We have a real chance at winning it this year, and I’m remaining one hundred percent committed to that goal. Don’t do it for me, do it for yourselves, each other, and the fans” he instructed the group.

February 4th

Players were stumbling left, right, and centre. Some were even reduced to vomiting; it appeared they’d collectively had a bit too much fun over summer. It was the first training run of the year. Spirits had been high only an hour earlier, before the reality of another hard slog kicked in.

“Get into it boys!!” the coach screamed. “The rest of the competition has been training for two weeks already, that means we have two weeks to catch up on in one evening”, he continued.

“This is Group 2 premier rugby league lads. Do you blokes seriously think we’re gonna challenge the Dunghutti Broncos, Sawtell Panthers, Port Macquarie Sharks and Woolgoolga Seahorses with this type of effort???!!!!” The coach heard a muttered response, ropable by this stage he screamed “what the hell was that Steve??!!!!”

“I said let’s put in another couple of hours of fitness work in” Steve responded assertively. “It’ll pay off in October boys; see you in an hour coach”.

The team followed as Steve set off on a jog.

No-one commanded the respect of the community the way Steve Callaghan did. He won’t be around forever, his professional expertise in Java programming ensures that the money on offer elsewhere will see him leave town. One thing’s for sure - the Macksville Sea Eagles will never see another like him.

----------------------------------------------------------
750 words in OWC.

Goleel

Juniors
Gol pulls on his mercifully tasteful Panthers jersey for a late run.

---

UGLY AS SIN

After several years of New South Wales Origin failures, it's understandable that my sky blue jersey doesn't come out of the cupboard too often, at least not to be worn in public. Deciding this week to don my colours (or colour, to be exact) I dusted off the old boy, a 2000 vintage I believe, bereft of sponsors logos beyond the subtle red Harvey Norman patch sewed underneath the much larger NSWRL crest. A well loved jersey, it certainly shows the signs of its age; the edges are fraying, the collar is faded and unbeknownst to me until a friendly work colleague pointed it out, it has a variety of mystery stains down the back that even Big Kev wouldn't be able to budge.

Sitting in this tattered and dirty old jersey all Wednesday at work, the girl I share a desk with edging further and further away from me, I made the executive decision to obtain a new, fresh Blues jersey. A few minutes of research later, I reversed my decision and started investigating the polo shirt options. Why, you ask? Just take a look at the thing.

NSW_Classic_Repl_4dc7c36248a6c_158x115.jpg

Now I know our game needs sponsorship, but this is ridiculous. A big, fat, ugly VB logo dominates the entire jersey, sitting like a target right on the belly. If that eyesore wasn't bad enough, it's complemented by an equally fat and ugly NIB logo slapped over the sleeve. Then for a final insult, we turn the jersey over to find what looks to be a bumper sticker slapped over the shoulders of the jersey, declaring that VB is 'the real beer of the Blues', which I guess makes Toohey's New a liar for the last decade or so they sponsored the team. While something that inane may be at home on the back bumper of a white 94 Commodore VR owned by the type of guy who would wear a 'Blatchy's Blues' shirt in public un-ironically, it just looks tacky on the broad shoulders of New South Wales captain Paul Gallen as he locks a scrum.

The kicker? Unlike the old days of club jerseys, there isn't even an advertising free edition available! At least not from the few websites I trawled. If I want to support New South Wales in 2011, I have to do it as a walking billboard for a Victorian beer. The irony doesn't amuse me.

The Queenslanders even have us beat in this department (along with all others it seems). Their AAMI sponsorship matches their white trim and sits understated with the maroon background, a vast improvement over the VB sticker on the front of the Blues strip.

Jersey advertising was getting better too, it really was. While some clubs (looking at you Melbourne and Gold Coast) still just plaster an ugly oversized logo into the middle of their design and say job well done, other clubs are trying. South Sydney have led the charge with their designs, their understated 2011 Star City design is a good example of this. Parramatta and Pirtek have worked their designs together in recent times, although the Eels 2011 offering is a step backward. The Tigers have learned from their horrendous, nightmare inducing Herbal World designs of a decade ago to offer a more appropriate mix, although that old strip is Hall of Fame level terrible. It's in everybody's best interests really, nobody wants to walk around wearing obnoxious advertisements as punishment for supporting their team, and a subtle design should inspire more purchases. So why haven't New South Wales got it right?

Hopefully the fans vote with their wallets and this monstrosity is cast aside, although a Blues series victory may have the unpleasant side effect of keeping this hideous jersey around another year or two. The great showpiece that is State of Origin deserves better than this tacky crap, and perhaps it is even worthy of higher intervention, I truly hope one of the top goals of the independent commission is improving jersey designs. Until that happens, it'll be a hot July before I ever become a walking billboard for Victorian Bitter.

Now, where is my James Hardie 1986 Eels jersey? I've got a date tonight and need to be looking my best.

---

709 without image, since I don't know how that counts.

Jesbass

First Grade
Hiya folks. I've been delayed but I'm expecting to have these results for you today sometime. Hang in there! ;-)

Jesbass

First Grade
So sorry, folks. Best laid plans and all that. I'm halfway there. I'll get up early tomorrow morning and try to finish it off.

Latest posts