What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 over??

Nuke

Staff member
That's a massive dampener on their NRL plans should this be true.
Either that, or a massively well-kept secret deal has been sorted out for either a total or partial relocation of a Sydney NRL team has been reached, with pretty much immediate effect to take place.

I can't see this as the reason though.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
Hmm.

Not just a dampener - if you ask me, it's outrageous that it could have reached this stage again.

It's highly optimistic to think that there's a greater plan in action.

Who knows, though. We'll wait and see.

Though, if they've legitimately folded, with no contingency plan in place - then it will forever struggle to recapture support. How can people have any confidence and desire to invest in an organisation which frequently fails to operate efficiently?

Nuke

Staff member
It may not have. We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves just in case this isn't true, but Joondalup_Giant's news is from a reliable source, so it's a safe bet that it is true.

Nothing has been officially announced, so I think we should wait until something is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WHAT??????

Geez I am going to be absolutely gutted, and filthy at the WARL and ARL if this is true.

I don;t see why it would be unless the ARL grants have run out and the WARL haven't got the income they anticpated to keep going?

The ARL grant was over two years and the Bartercard sponsorship was also over two years. If both have run out with no chance of renewal then that may be why. If it is over we can kiss goodbye to seeing an NRL team in Perth for at least the next 10 years.

I really hope you are wrong with this mate!

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
Geez I am going to be absolutely gutted, and filthy at the WARL and ARL if this is true.

Likewise.

I keep hoping it is some elaborate hoax. Let's be honest though, it's almost certainly true.

As Nuke's said though - we'll have to await more information, or an official statement / news release - until then it's really only speculation.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Surely the ARL would bail them out, Perth is too important to let drift backwards.

Oh wait, its the ARL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given they only need $500K to run the team it is unbelievable the ARL/NRL can't fund it, especially when you consider how many millions the ARU put into Perth to get the Force established and the hundreds of millions the AFL is putting into NSW and Q'land.

Sometimes I despair at the great game that is RL!

aarondoyle

Juniors
For f**ks sake!! How does this happen? We were going to be national again dammit! WA has such a long RL history that was almost wiped out.
F**K!!

I really hope this is wrong. I just can't believe it.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It's so bad all we can do is laugh really... What other sport in Australia would let an opportunity like this falter? Seriously?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
ok there not gone completely, they will field a side in the sg ball comp (national under 18's) an official media release will b made monday. It will b interestin 2 see where they get the player's from as junior's in the warl from 16 and up are almost none existant....

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
ok there not gone completely, they will field a side in the sg ball comp (national under 18's) an official media release will b made monday. It will b interestin 2 see where they get the player's from as junior's in the warl from 16 and up are almost none existant....

Surely this weakens our "bid" ?

Interesting dilemma you raise as well.

To be honest, I doubt they even know what their intentions are at the moment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No frickin idea!

That is the WARL, RL and NRL. No wonder our great game remains confined to 4 small places in the world.

I feel so cheated after putting over $2k into the Reds in the last couple of years.

Oh well Nicolas at least we didn't waste 6 moths on the Red Army! bunch of f**kwits the lot of them!

I'm off to North Beach shortly to watch a game and hopefully cheer up!

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
I feel so cheated after putting over $2k into the Reds in the last couple of years.

To be honest with you - I think this is why I'm so frustrated as well. It's not the only reason, but it's one of the biggest reasons.

It's not the time I've placed into various ideas, or any of that, which bothers me. The time factor, and physical performance of various initiatives is something I'd do again. It's not a huge burden to my lifestyle to help them with "leg work" related aspects. It's the money side of it that has me furious. I have absolutely no confidence investing financial support into their future projects now, because, I have no idea where my money 'went' this time? - I'm sure the corporate world will be equally as hesitant.

As little as a month ago (as you know Jason), I spent $500 on the design of that supporters webpage?, plus another $100 registering the domain. If they were all aware of the weakened state of their bid, and the imminent demotion of the whole 'WA Reds' club / outfit, then I find their lack of disclosing this to me when I was in the planning stages of the recent $600 financial outlay, as one major insult. I do not accept that this was so "spontaneous" and "unexpected", and just can't believe nothing was said earlier. When you consider I probably have the capacity to save $30 per week (after bills, food, car repayments, rent, etc are paid); the $2500+ invested over the past 3 years becomes extremely debilitating to what I could have been doing with it now (such as paying-off the car, or living more comfortably).

Another $100 went into the "NRL Tipping Competition" they were/are running, though the "$100 weekly prizes" seemed to be completely abandoned, and I doubt - at this stage - they'll honour the 'winner' with anything either considering 95% of the participants are WA Reds players, or WARL administration employees; and since the inception of the competition, no communication has been given to any participants to suggest it's even been remembered (yet is still being advertised via the WA Reds webpage).

My situation is not exclusive. I'm not attempting to play one big "victim" story. I'm confident others have made various sacrifices for the sake of the WA Reds being rebuilt. Which is exactly why those of us who had, will be struggling to justify to ourselves (with adequate reasoning) why we should re-invest in this process for a third time? After all, the WARL are clearly still involved with trying to make a bid. I just don't see how they can "sell the idea" back to us again, and make out it's for the better.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Completely agree. They would have been better not launching teh Reds and just working towards the 2013 bid if there was a chance it would fall over like it has. I also find it strange that they have kep wanting to work wih us re the Red Army (even the meeting next week!) when they must have known this was on teh cards. All I can think is they were hoping the ARL would agree to fund them again and they have refused and they have just got the notification of it.

As much as I have loved going to the games and will have some good memories of the wins we have had, the whole journey has been somewhat shoddy from the very beginning and doesn't engender much confidence we will ever see an NRL team of our own again.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
Completely agree. They would have been better not launching the Reds and just working towards the 2013 bid if there was a chance it would fall over like it has.

I agree entirely.

I'm unsure of whether the meeting next week is still going ahead. I am still keen to speak with them at that time, if they're wanting to talk.

All we can hope, is that there is a plan underlying what seems to be quite a chaotic decision.

It makes you wonder if they had any plans in place, or whether they just went "all guns blazing" regarding the Bid, and sunk themselves before realising their position.

I guess the upside, is they're still up and running. The downside is a backward step / relegation.

I'm keen to hear more on Monday.