What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 team

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Not that I think 2012 is done for us (far form it).. But I thought I might take a look at our squad for a 2013 tilt. After all we will hopefully be looking for 3 in a row. ;)

Point of reference only, here is the 2011 team

1. Brett Stewart
2. Michael Robertson - Gone
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Steve Matai
5. William Hopoate - Gone
6. Kieran Foran
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Jason King
9. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Tony Williams - Going
13. Glenn Stewart
14. Shane Rodney - Gone
15. Jamie Buhrer
16. Joe Galuvao
17. George Rose
18. Darcy Lussick - Going
19. Vic Mauro - Probably going http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/zorbas-view-getting-the-timing-right/
20. Dean Whare - Going
21. Michael Oldfield - Going

So 8 of our 21 roster are already gone or confirmed/likely to be gone for next season. Add Harrison makes 9.

New additions for 2012 are limited to only:
Jorge Taufau
Daniel Harrison - Going
Ben Farrar (injured)
Nick Skinner
Liam Foran (given game time, not really a new edition though)

Farrar is the only one that would have even scratched the budget out of those names...

We have signed:
Michael Chee Kam
Ligi Sao
Fa’aoso
Once again, cheap, cheap...

Obviously we have had a couple of big top ups for DCE and Foran. Loyalty should figure on par for Matai, B Stewart and hopefully Ballin.

With the departure of T-Rex, Lussick and Whare we should be able to sign up the remainder for 2013. Ballin is a priority obviously.

I'd be hopeful with the coin saved on T-Rex, we might have a bit of money for a few more fringe players. We lack depth at the NSW and Toyota Cup levels. So it would be nice to see these squads become a lot more competitive. Unfortunately I can't see there being enough for a big name purchase. (Who was our last significant purchase anyway???)

Any thoughts on who we could pick up and where we are a bit short? We have lost a few wingers... T-Rex (formerly wing), Robbo, Hoppa and Whare. A replacement centre I guess is Raiders rookie. Is Joe signed on for next year or is he planning retirement?

We still have 9 (assuming we keep Stewart) from our 2008 squad:
Brett Stewart
Michael Robertson - Gone
Steve Bell - Gone
Steve Matai
David Williams
Jamie Lyon
Matt Orford - Gone
Brent Kite
Matt Ballin
Josh Perry - Gone
Anthony Watmough
Glenn Hall - Gone
Glenn Stewart
Heath L'Estrange - Gone
Mark Bryant - Gone
Jason King
Steve Menzies - Gone
Adam Cuthbertson - Gone
Luke Williamson - Gone

Last edited:

BlueEyes

Juniors
The longer Brett Stewart stays silent the more concerned I am that he will do a T-rex on us. Yes we need some new blood and there should be some cash after the T-rex defection.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Mike Chee Kam is a great signing and replacement for williams at a third of the cost.

I think you guys should be after Kane Evans (roosters) and/or Ligi Sao (warriors nyc).

I think that these are the top props in the NYC and you guys need to think about future after king and kite.

Both would be perfect for manlys squad
But if you offered a little bit more money and maybe an extra year ...you guys would be getting some great value.

eozsmiles

Bench
Hard to tell until the dust settles. Lyon, Matai, Taufua, Farrar are all their next year and probably one or both of Oldfield and Wolfman. If Stewart stays then the backline is full enough.
If Manly go shopping it might be for front rowers. Not sure what Shack and Fa'aosso are going for on the market but they have some experience and are both on the outer with their clubs.

MSIH

Bench
Mike Chee Kam is a great signing and replacement for williams at a third of the cost.

I think you guys should be after Kane Evans (roosters) and/or Ligi Sao (warriors nyc).

I think that these are the top props in the NYC and you guys need to think about future after king and kite.

Both would be perfect for manlys squad
But if you offered a little bit more money and maybe an extra year ...you guys would be getting some great value.

Well played sir.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
This whole thing with Penrith has started to get me worried they are going to make a play for 2 of our favourite sons.... One for next year, and the other the year after...

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
surely Brett won't be going as they have Barba. I wouldn't have thought they would be keen to play against each other. So Brett would need to go overseas...

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
Foran aswell?

DCE?

No chance- absolutley nil. Both are tied up and being paid $200k more than they could get anywhere else.

This is why Brett Stewart has signed with the Catalans next season. He was insulted to be offered $250k a season less than Foran.

BlueEyes

Juniors
No chance- absolutley nil. Both are tied up and being paid $200k more than they could get anywhere else.

This is why Brett Stewart has signed with the Catalans next season. He was insulted to be offered $250k a season less than Foran.

I think the amount of off field time over the last couple of years still sees Brett paid way more than Foran per appearance, hence value for money ratio??

Juniors

Well he'll be insulted with Catalans offer, no ESL club can pay more than 300k for a player.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade

No offense. But I'll wait for the official announcement. You did say earlier in the year that Foran would be at the Bulldogs...

Latest posts