What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 captain

In today's tele

NEW Penrith coach Anthony Griffin will unveil the club’s new captain on Wednesday.
Experienced halfback Peter Wallace, young gun Matt Moylan, new recruit Trent Merrin and Kiwi international Elijah Taylor are among the contenders.
Or could Griffin go really left-field and take a punt on rookie Bryce Cartwright being the future of the club?
Even at the ripe age of 21, Cartwright has the bloodlines and the talent to handle the leadership challenge.
If Griffin goes with Wallace, it will prove the hatchet from the Brisbane Broncos days, when the coach forced the No. 7 to return to Sydney, has been well and truly buried.

mxlegend99

Referee
For me:
Captain - Trent Merrin
Vice Captain - Matt Moylan

I think Matt Moylan could be our long term captain after Trent Merrin.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Moylan isnt a captain imo, great player but hasn't got the personality of a leader. Id go with Merrin or Taylor.

chrisD

Coach
Taylor being off contract after this year might weigh into things. I don't really think who is captain matters.

mxlegend99

Referee
Moylan isnt a captain imo, great player but hasn't got the personality of a leader. Id go with Merrin or Taylor.
I think he's a great option. He's a team player. Calm under pressure... if anything he thrives under pressure really. He would be well respected by teammates and I think the added responsibility would just give him more confidence to lead HIS team.

I think starting off as VC would be best. Just being in charge when Merrin or taylor is benched or injured. But taking over from them in a few years when he is the Panthers and NSW #6.

murraymob

Coach
I think he's a great option. He's a team player. Calm under pressure... if anything he thrives under pressure really. He would be well respected by teammates and I think the added responsibility would just give him more confidence to lead HIS team.

I think starting off as VC would be best. Just being in charge when Merrin or taylor is benched or injured. But taking over from them in a few years when he is the Panthers and NSW #6.

Wallace also is highly respected by the players several having already stated in the media they would like Wallace as captain

chrisD

Coach
Regardless of who they make captain, Moylan takes responsibility for this team on field. Hopefully Cartwright does similarly this season as he did on occasion last.

Been loving the predictions from "experts" that we'll finish 11th-14th ( which is ridiculous ) whoever the captain is will have a very easy job of motivating the team.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not mentioned by I go Whare as captain. Kinda the only senior guy that will play the same role week in week out.

That or co captains of Merrin & Moylan is my preference

Doomednow

Bench
I wouldn't be surprised if the name Wallace captain just to keep up the facade that he and Griffin are on good terms. Wouldnt expect it to laslast though.

TheFrog

Coach
Been loving the predictions from "experts" that we'll finish 11th-14th ( which is ridiculous ) whoever the captain is will have a very easy job of motivating the team.

Do you notice that this time last year the "experts" said we'd make the top 4?

All the "experts" have to go on is last year, unless there's been some serious recruiting like at Parra.

The "experts" always predict a rerun of last year but it never happens.

I honestly have no idea where we'll finish, I'll be happy to make the 8. And it appears Griffin has a dilemma as to who is captain.

As I've said before, I am not yet convinced Wallace is washed up, but this year is certainly his last chance. Maybe Soward (if he wants it) or Taylor. Merrin has just walked in the door and Moylan and Cartwright are too young.

Last edited: