What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC - QF3 - TON 24-22 LBN @ Christchurch

QF Result: TON v lebanese

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burns

First Grade
I wonder how much of last week's game was on the back of the emotion of all the drama.

They will have too much fire power for Lebanon.
Then they go and score haha.

I was most curious how they would perform with such overwhelming favouritism like today. They seem okay, but lack of concentration would have them found out against the Big 3 at the moment.

wibble

Bench
Why? If they were any good they would be in the system already.

Well, "good" as judged by watching park football, where a dozen players may all look all right, and "good" when put under pressure, in a big competition, on TV, with players like Taumololo running at you, are different sorts of good.

If a player steps up at some time, it is noteworthy, particularly in a big competition. Maybe the fact that the players now have something to really play for, or now have a quality coach, is helping them lift.

But the fact that they may not have stood out before doesn't negate the fact that they are doing so now. I think the NRL clubs should be interested in good world cup performances.

But you are right that anyone who is already consistently performing would be in the system already. I'm just saying that 3 or 4 top efforts against top teams probably qualifies as coming good for some of these players, and should be looked at.

Burns

First Grade
Im barracking too hard for Tonga to enjoy this Lebanese fighting spirit hahaha. Can they please fade away in the last 20min?

ouwet

Bench
So proud of this Lebanese team!!

Whatever happens this second half, they’ve done our whole country and community so proud!!

Are people still saying we shouldn’t be in this World Cup?? We’ve been the best performing team the whole tournament when youu take into consideration 13 of our 17 are Amateur/semi pro players!!

Iafeta

Referee
I think Tonga will have enough. They seem to have got fired up for NZ, but today are struggling to back it up. They're fading in and out.

Billythekid

First Grade
Super enjoyable crowd, this math always looked most likely of being competitive. The crowd isn't huge but it sounds great and looks good on TV.

Then they go and score haha.

I was most curious how they would perform with such overwhelming favouritism like today. They seem okay, but lack of concentration would have them found out against the Big 3 at the moment.

Whilst they're capable of giving the big 3 a scare or even an upset they're still not on the same level especially in terms of consistency. I think whilst they beat NZ they're just as capable of having a 20-30 point score run up on them.

wibble

Bench
So proud of this Lebanese team!!

Whatever happens this second half, they’ve done our whole country and community so proud!!

Are people still saying we shouldn’t be in this World Cup?? We’ve been the best performing team the whole tournament when youu take into consideration 13 of our 17 are Amateur/semi pro players!!

Well, in terms of playing to potential, best in the tournament. And about 10 times better than Samoa in that regard.

And I would doubt anyone could question this team's place in the tournament now. They really have been superb, and you should be proud of them.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think Tonga will have enough. They seem to have got fired up for NZ, but today are struggling to back it up. They're fading in and out.

It makes sense, you see it all the time in the NRL. It's hard to deliver that level of intensity in back to back weeks and teams often have a down week after a performance like that.

Also because of the emotion and intensity last week was more about just big running and big hits with offloads. That's when Tonga is at their best.