What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 SOO Game 3

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Johns era always confused me. He's an immortal and quite worthy of that accolade, yet he was often selected as hooker or a benchy. Why ?
Coild never work it out neither.

Noddy was a damn good halfback but not even in the same ballpark when it came to Johns.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Coild never work it out neither.

Noddy was a damn good halfback but not even in the same ballpark when it came to Johns.

It was pick your best 17 then work out where they play.

Johns could also defend in the middle as good as any forward while Nobby couldn't.

T.S Quint

Coach
The Johns era always confused me. He's an immortal and quite worthy of that accolade, yet he was often selected as hooker or a benchy. Why ?

Same reason why Hayne was rarely picked at fullback. Versatility is a killer for certain players when it comes to rep footy.

TheRam

Coach

It's called an embarrassment of riches. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Says a lot about rules and coaching at junior level in NSW.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It was pick your best 17 then work out where they play.

Johns could also defend in the middle as good as any forward while Nobby couldn't.
Thats true, Johns defence for a half was amazing and the reason why I rate him above JT as a pure footballer.

JT has had the better career but if I had to choose I would go Johns.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Thats true, Johns defence for a half was amazing and the reason why I rate him above JT as a pure footballer.

JT has had the better career but if I had to choose I would go Johns.

I would go Johns too!! He made a few players look a lot better then they were.

Kornstar

Coach
Agreed, give me Johns any day of the week over Thurston.

That broken neck in the Dragons final in 2002 probably robbed him of more grand final wins tbh.

How many years were the Cowboys ordinary with Thurston there even when they had a decent squad?

Thurston also has had the fortune of playing with Smith, Inglis, Slater and Cronk in Origin.

As good as Thurston is (and he really is) he is overrated considering the calls for making him an immortal while still playing. He kicked the wining goal in Origin 2 and they made out like he dominated the entire game.......he didn't even get MoM yet to listen to the commentators and media it was like he was the sole reason they won.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm gonna go against consensus here. I'd have Thurston over Johns.

Joey won a comp in 97 in a competition so weak that the finals included the Chargers and the Steelers, and also had South QLD and Souths only winning 4 games and muddying the table by getting spanked all the time. The actual grand final was a ripper but I think that clouds a lot of perceptions about the season as a whole, which I remember as a really terrible year to watch footy. If we can make excuses for why Thurstons' origin record is overrated, then the 1997 premiership is sorely overrated.

Both great players but Thurston has (IMO) been better at single-handedly carrying the Cowboys over the years. Even the side that won the comp wasn't a fantastic side. Certainly not as good as the 2001 Knights side.

Plus Joey liked dingers an awful lot and I always wonder how much that helped him on the field.

strider

Post Whore
It really is.

More games than Sterlo, Turvey, Sticky, Kimmorley and someone like Brandy barely played for NSW at all.
Cos all these dudes played in times when NSW had many quality players ... now all we have is shit sandwiches

crocodile

Bench
Same reason why Hayne was rarely picked at fullback. Versatility is a killer for certain players when it comes to rep footy.

Hayne could easily play centre for his club but at SOO level not so sure. Especially on the left side. He's either at FB, wing or in the pub watching it on telly. Dugan is no centre at this level either.

Hayne could easily play centre for his club but at SOO level not so sure. Especially on the left side. He's either at FB, wing or in the pub watching it on telly. Dugan is no centre at this level either.
155 posts in 8 years... you must feel very strongly about this.

Bazal

Post Whore

At the risk of inciting the wrath of one of Hayne's biggest fans two accounts, it also doesn't help when they don't give him the footy very much. And almost never in a position where he can do something.

Honestly if he's not at 1 or 6 he's probably not worth an Origin spot.

Dibs

Bench
I thought it was on a three year rotation now anyway. So NSWs will have 2 home in 2018