What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018/2019 Backline

I am really excited at the prospect of the juniors being groomed for FG over the next 12-18 months.

Lomax has the size to play FG sooner rather than later so I expect that he will get some FG game time due to injuries during 2018.

I have ommitted any reference to Flo as I don't think the club will renew his contract at the end of 2018.

Mann is now battle hardened and deserves a FG spot. Unless he excels in 2018 the juniors coming through may force him out of the club.

Euan Aitken needs to get well and match fit quickly as the competition for spots will be intense. He is a very mature and determined player so I expect he will give it his all.

I see the competition for spots as follows:

Fullback: Dufty/Field/Lomax/Mann

Right Wing: Field

Right Centre: Aitken/Lomax/Herbert

Left Centre: Lafai/McDonald/Herbert

Left Wing: Mann/McDonald

Five Eight:Widdop/Field

Half: Hunt

Changa

Juniors
Interesting to see how the bench is used.

McInnes can play out 80m, but his creativity and running game needs work. If we were to carry Field on the bench, he could allow Hunt to provide that spark out of dummy half in the back end of halves, while Field at 7 could also break open a game with fatigued defenders.

BennyV

Referee
Don't discount Nightingale for 2019, if Mary doesn't get the sack then chances are the 2019 starting backline will be the same as the 2018 backline - Dufty, Nightingale, Lafai, Aitken, McDonald.

If they were to all hit their straps in the next 2-3 years, a 2020 backline could look like
1) Dufty
2) McDonald/Mann (chances are one would be gone)
3) Herbert
4) Lomax
5) Garrick

In reality, it's not likely to happen.