What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 - Another NRL Screw Up

Stake Removed

First Grade
Greenberg does have no idea found article today re squad of 30, as of next year you cannot select a player outside of the top 30 to play NRL, unless serious injury, so know blooding a young guy if shows form in lower grades, i grabbed this from fox sports, can the NRL make it worse.

TOP SQUAD CONTRACT FARCE

The NRL’s pathway program is flawed.

Under the NRL’s new rules, Nick Cotric, the hot favourite for Dally M rookie of the year, would never have made his first grade debut this season.

The likes of Anthony Milford or Nathan Cleary wouldn’t have popped on the scene either.

In 2018 NRL clubs have a squad of 30 players to pick from with six development players who are ineligible to play first grade.

211d681d365cd444253872e4cce611e3

Sharks NYC half Kyle Flanagan at training.Source: News Corp Australia
The second tier as we know it is non-existent which means a crucial pathway to the top grade has been blocked.

As it stands, Cronulla young gun Kyle Flanagan will be unable to play first grade in 2018.

Flanagan isn’t in the club’s top 30 which means he would need an exception to play first grade.

Under the rules, the only way he can play NRL next year is if James Maloney or Chad Townsend suffers a serious injury.

It’s understood the RLPA aren’t happy with the new system which blocks the pathway of players.

Card Shark

Immortal
Why can't any player in your club play first grade?

What if you get a massive injury toll, loss of form or a superstar kid come through.

Stake, you're the state guru....how many clubs used more than 30 players this year?

I'm tipping about half uses over 30.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Why can't any player in your club play first grade?

What if you get a massive injury toll, loss of form or a superstar kid come through.

Stake, you're the state guru....how many clubs used more than 30 players this year?

I'm tipping about half uses over 30.

Different rules from next year but i will look up this year

Stake Removed

First Grade
Players used

Brisbane - 26
Canberra - 25
Canterbury - 25
Cronulla - 26
Gold Coast - 34
Manly - 27
Melbourne - 31
New Zealand - 30
Newcastle - 31
North Queensland - 32
Parramatta - 27
Penrith - 28
Souths - 30
Stgeorge Illawarra - 25
Sydney Roosters - 26
Wests Tigers - 30

3 teams over the 30, the NRL needs next year to make adjustments for teams with players in SOO, and if a player is injured in rep game, the club gets auto replacement in top 30 till that player can return

Quigs

Immortal
Poor old Tits copped an absolute flogging with injuries this season. It was cruel at times.