What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 BBL draw announced.

Timbo

Staff member
https://www.bigbash.com.au/fixtures

14 game season as of next year. More double headers, a triple header and games clashing with test matches (dunno how I feel about that).

Also three games on the Gold Coast, two in Launceston and one in Alice Springs. Nothing so far it seems in Geelong, Canberra or anywhere else - but five matches (two Renegades, two Tunder and one Stars) remain unallocated so hopefully the love will be shared around.

A bit annoyed that the Sixers and the Scorchers have chosen to give all seven matches to their main ground. This should be a real chance to spread the game around a bit to areas that don't see top flight cricket. Especially given that the Sixers will do well to win a match next season!

TheParraboy

Staff member
Thunder should get a game a Thomas Dalton Park hopefully, fingers crossed..

Cant blame the Scorchers playing all their fixtures at the new Perth Stadium. Would be a bit weird taking their games elsewhere, especially this first full season at the new venue. Wouldn't be surprised if the stadium and sponsors had a say in it as well

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Way way too many fixtures and right in the middle of summer.

Show me the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

no name

Coach
Putting a game at Metricon on New Years Day is interesting.
The past has indicated that most sports struggle to attract crowds on the Gold Coast.
Don’t think New Years Day will help.

jargan83

Coach
Saw several articles last night talking about CA's desire to possibly fixture a game on Christmas Day, apparently not all the players are happy with it but since when does CA listen to stakeholders such as fans or players. I expect it to happen sooner rather than later.

undertaker

Coach
https://www.bigbash.com.au/fixtures

14 game season as of next year. More double headers, a triple header and games clashing with test matches (dunno how I feel about that).

Also three games on the Gold Coast, two in Launceston and one in Alice Springs. Nothing so far it seems in Geelong, Canberra or anywhere else - but five matches (two Renegades, two Tunder and one Stars) remain unallocated so hopefully the love will be shared around.

A bit annoyed that the Sixers and the Scorchers have chosen to give all seven matches to their main ground. This should be a real chance to spread the game around a bit to areas that don't see top flight cricket. Especially given that the Sixers will do well to win a match next season!

Agree with you Timbo.

Not a fan of the BBL going head-to-head with the day/night test match, let alone the scheduling of a triple header is being too ambitious (reminds me of when the NRL had 5 back-to-back matches on Anzac Day 3 years ago or so). CA is diluting the quality of the product already with an extended season going beyond school holidays.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24119332/big-bash-league-compete-sri-lanka-test-match

Also read the final will be on mid-Sunday afternoon, which is disappointing as day final in Adelaide last summer just lacked something. Should've been a evening/night match.

If Ch7 is televising it, 99% most likely it will be a 2:45pm AEDST start (as a lead-in to Seven News), which could possibly be a 11:45am start if Perth hosts the final.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Thunder should get a game a Thomas Dalton Park hopefully, fingers crossed..

Cant blame the Scorchers playing all their fixtures at the new Perth Stadium. Would be a bit weird taking their games elsewhere, especially this first full season at the new venue. Wouldn't be surprised if the stadium and sponsors had a say in it as well

I was hoping that the Sixers and the Thunder might look at a game at Dalton Park, and Newcastle No. 1 Sportsground each. Ah well.

King hit

Coach
Good to see the Heat expanding their support base with games on the Gold Coast. Might try to go down for one of them.

Pommy

Coach
10.50am in Alice springs in January, isnt that going to horrific for both players and fans?

Pommy

Coach
I didn’t even realise they had a game in Alice springs this year.
Can’t be worse than the Sydney ashes test, day 4 f**king nearly killed me.

Timbo

Staff member
I didn’t even realise they had a game in Alice springs this year.
Can’t be worse than the Sydney ashes test, day 4 f**king nearly killed me.

It was game one of a double header on a Saturday. May have been the least watched game of the season.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Saw several articles last night talking about CA's desire to possibly fixture a game on Christmas Day, apparently not all the players are happy with it but since when does CA listen to stakeholders such as fans or players. I expect it to happen sooner rather than later.

Its not a bad move (religious reasons aside)

Families can do their Xmas things in the morning, xmas lunch with family, then head to watch cricket in the evening, there is bugger all on tv and the next day is a puplic holiday. Would be a huge success id imagine

Pommy

Coach
I wouldn’t mind having a BBL game on TV on Xmas day, but there’s no way I would be going to watch it in person.

Timbo

Staff member
I only just read this morning that they schedule NBA games on Christmas Day (I'm not a basketball guy).

Apparently they're absolutely massive, teams clamour over themselves to get the fixtures. I guess it'd be a case of scheduling it and accepting like anything else that it will take a few years to gain traction. At which point it'll just become a part of the woodwork on Christmas afternoon whilst the kids are playing with their new toys and the adults are digesting Turkey.

Timbo

Staff member
there you have it

Want to have XMAS day off?

Play test cricket

Ha, true.

If they rotated it, teams would only have to do it once every five years. So it's not that big a hardship.

Also, when you think about it - the teams who are playing on Boxing Day are probably flying out before their game. They're probably spending Christmas in a hotel anyway.

Also, if you played it in a regional venue with a 7-10k capacity ground like Wollongong, Ballarat or Albury it'd probably be a pretty amazing day out.

Bazal

Post Whore
Ha, true.

If they rotated it, teams would only have to do it once every five years. So it's not that big a hardship.

Also, when you think about it - the teams who are playing on Boxing Day are probably flying out before their game. They're probably spending Christmas in a hotel anyway.

Also, if you played it in a regional venue with a 7-10k capacity ground like Wollongong, Ballarat or Albury it'd probably be a pretty amazing day out.

I reckon.

Food vendors around the place, Santa at the ground for the kids giving out lucky dip team merch. Might get a hat, might get a key ring, might be really lucky and get a jersey. You could run an Xmas comp for the crowd through a major sponsor, with almost no competition on TV you'd get a bit of exposure for a major sponsor so you could have some great prizes.

BBL is made for that sort of day I reckon.

Latest posts