What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

beave

Coach
Townsville on friday could be horrific. 6pm game, NZ, cowboys playing like the Endeavour Foundation rep team......... will be lucky to make 11k.

Suitman

Post Whore
Well it had rained solid for about 6 days straight.
All kids train and games were canceled.
People might have brushed the idea of going out there earlier in the week.

Lol.
What's it matter if it rained there 6 days previously?! There weather was ok at Olympic Park today.
All you have confirmed with that post has confirmed many other people's thoughts - like Perth Red and Raider Dave's thought's, that Sydney fans are fickle.

And no, it hasn't rained solidly for 6 days at Olympic Park. What a load of shit.

Below par crowd.
A few minor reasons for it but minimum 30k should still be the medium term ambition for this fixture irrespective of team performance, Ramadan, people away, or shit venue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Needed free tomato soup. Telling you it’s the only way to get fans motivated to get off their arses.

tribalism, got to love it lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
What do you actually get out of casting your grand shame on 'the people of Sydney'?

What does it contribute to the discussion apart from a smug feeling?

Maybe he is just pointing out the glaringly obvious, if you have so many clubs in one city the least you could hope for is large crowds from two fanbases in the games heartland?

Personally I think 21k is pretty good for an nrl crowd in reality considering most games are lucky to hit 15k. Time to lower expectations and just accept the game doesn’t have that big a committed core of fans.

Or get on the free tomato soup.

carcharias

Immortal
Lol.
What's it matter if it rained there 6 days previously?! There weather was ok at Olympic Park today.
All you have confirmed with that post has confirmed many other people's thoughts - like Perth Red and Raider Dave's thought's, that Sydney fans are fickle.

And no, it hasn't rained solidly for 6 days at Olympic Park. What a load of shit.
It rained tues to Sunday - 6 days in a row.
Everyday for large parts of the day.
It rained so much that all kids sports were cancelled- training during the week and games on the weekend.
People might have decided to no go before Monday.
You do realise that is how most people operate?

How many people watched Perth reds team play this weekend ?
Or how many showed up to Raider Dave’s teams home game?

Don’t go using those blokes opinions to base an argument on.

morley101

Juniors
I wish I had the AFL's accountant..... How they can claim that 7k turned up for the GWS game..... looked like 2 -3k.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Maybe he is just pointing out the glaringly obvious, if you have so many clubs in one city the least you could hope for is large crowds from two fanbases in the games heartland?

Personally I think 21k is pretty good for an nrl crowd in reality considering most games are lucky to hit 15k. Time to lower expectations and just accept the game doesn’t have that big a committed core of fans.

Or get on the free tomato soup.
Nothing you said answered my question. Why bang on about it? What does it achieve? You're preaching to the converted in here for the most part lol

carcharias

Immortal
Nothing any of them say makes sense.
They quote the population numbers for Sydney like it somehow strengthens their argument.
I’m part of that population.
Why would I go to a Dragons v Bulldogs game in Homebush?
I don’t follow either team.
I don’t live anywhere near Homebush.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing you said answered my question. Why bang on about it? What does it achieve? You're preaching to the converted in here for the most part lol

Its a discussion board, for you know discussion lol. Or we could just post the figure and offer no opinion what so ever, that would fun.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing any of them say makes sense.
They quote the population numbers for Sydney like it somehow strengthens their argument.
I’m part of that population.
Why would I go to a Dragons v Bulldogs game in Homebush?
I don’t follow either team.
I don’t live anywhere near Homebush.

What a stupid thing to type lol. I dont think anyone expects 5million people to turn up for a game! 20k out of that 5 million x 9 clubs? Well that shouldn't be that big a stretch if the game is popular. Or the alternative argument, that sydney isnt big enough to carry 9 teams and expect large crowds for all of them when there are only 5million people.

carcharias

Immortal
What a stupid thing to type lol. I dont think anyone expects 5million people to turn up for a game! 20k out of that 5 million x 9 clubs? Well that shouldn't be that big a stretch if the game is popular. Or the alternative argument, that sydney isnt big enough to carry 9 teams and expect large crowds for all of them when there are only 5million people.

Why do you think 5 million people follow footy in Sydney?

It can’t be membership numbers
It can’t be average crowd figures
There is no evidence that the game is remotely close to being that popular.

Has it ever crossed your mind that lots of people don’t give a shit about the NRL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont think that at all, in fact I know its not even close. it is likely less than 20% do in Sydney, and much less actually enough to spend hard earned cash and limited leisure time to attend one around 2-3%.

There are a lot more people who dont give a sht about NRL than who do. The trick is to reduce the former whilst increasing the latter.

But thats the point of business, create an attractive and desired product, build your customer base, sell more of your product etc etc. Problem we have is we are pretty poor at doing that. We still fail to understand we are in the entertainment business. Pokie funding now replaced by TV funding means that we dont have to work hard at the top tier to stay sustainable. If we did we would be doing everything in our power to attract customers. Whilst getting squillions from TV is very nice it makes us lazy in actually getting people engaged enough to go to games, thats both clubs and the NRL.

Its been interesting watching F1 this year since the American entertainment company took over from the old school owner model. They are making each race a massive entertainment glamorous event and are being rewarded with major crowd increases and sell outs. Who'd have thought it?

t-ba

Post Whore
I dont think that at all, in fact I know its not even close. it is likely less than 20% do in Sydney, and much less actually enough to spend hard earned cash and limited leisure time to attend one around 2-3%.

There are a lot more people who dont give a sht about NRL than who do. The trick is to reduce the former whilst increasing the latter.

But thats the point of business, create an attractive and desired product, build your customer base, sell more of your product etc etc. Problem we have is we are pretty poor at doing that. We still fail to understand we are in the entertainment business. Pokie funding now replaced by TV funding means that we dont have to work hard at the top tier to stay sustainable. If we did we would be doing everything in our power to attract customers. Whilst getting squillions from TV is very nice it makes us lazy in actually getting people engaged enough to go to games, thats both clubs and the NRL.

You think TV funding isn't related to attractiveness of product? That the broadcasters are just giving us quite frankly insane money just because?

We've been hearing for one and a half decades on this board how shit crowds will impact TV numbers. We seem to be doing ok.

What you are really complaining about is the fact that punters aren't interested in going to a game, which is a bit different to people not giving a shit. Judging by viewership, it's on course to be the most watched sport in Oz this year, so they obviously do give a shit.

carcharias

Immortal

Its been interesting watching F1 this year since the American entertainment company took over from the old school owner model. They are making each race a massive entertainment glamorous event and are being rewarded with major crowd increases and sell outs. Who'd have thought it?

So what is your plan to get people who don’t want to go to the footy go?

Latest posts