What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Now I know full well that this year has been confounded by Commonwealth games and regional matches. And I doubt today’s crowd has been included yet which will bump up the average. But I don’t know how you can make those claims when these are the numbers?

34F796B3-D6E4-4F4C-BD35-F4FC51B6F365.jpg

A perfect "one-to-one" comparison isnt really possible without going back over the last decade to crunch the numbers. But i cant be bothered, so f*ck it, lets just try with this...

- Remove the Gladstone/Tawoomba matches as (as PR says) the GC average is 12.7k.
- Remove the Brisbane game from the Manly average and they drop to under 11k.
- Remove the Adelaide game from the Roosters and their average drops to 12.3k
- Break the Tigers up by there home crowd CO is 10.8k.

The only suburban grounds that beat the Titans so far this year are Leichhardt, Penrith and Cronulla.

I do admit my claim of absolute superiority was incorrect, but my point still stands. Sydney people set a higher standard on non-sydney teams.

Saint Doc

Coach
A perfect "one-to-one" comparison isnt really possible without going back over the last decade to crunch the numbers. But i cant be bothered, so f*ck it, lets just try with this...

- Remove the Gladstone/Tawoomba matches as (as PR says) the GC average is 12.7k.

The only suburban grounds that beat the Titans so far this year are Leichhardt, Penrith and Cronulla.

I do admit my claim of absolute superiority was incorrect, but my point still stands. Sydney people set a higher standard on non-sydney teams.

Oh man. Where do I even start?!

Using that stats in the way you have is completely meaningless. I know I showed the averages but I was demonstrating a point...that they were dead last, and so your talk that GC crowds are “going great” was clearly wrong.

You’re dead set clutching at straws with some of your claims. Splitting the tigers crowds up into a Campbelltown only average? Only using suburban grounds as the comparator? You cut Manly’s Brisbane crowd, whilst leaving in Parra’s Darwin crowd? (8500). You forget Kogarah completely? (Another suburban ground greater than Cbus).

Stop fishing for obscure stats to somehow justify your point. The issue is that expansion teams are included with the aim of improving the competition and growing crowds. Not to compete for the crowd wooden spoon.

Pedge1971

First Grade

Lets not forget what Anzac Day does for the Roosters.....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Using that stats in the way you have is completely meaningless. I know I showed the averages but I was demonstrating a point...that they were dead last, and so your talk that GC crowds are “going great” was clearly wrong.

You’re dead set clutching at straws with some of your claims. Splitting the tigers crowds up into a Campbelltown only average? Only using suburban grounds as the comparator? You cut Manly’s Brisbane crowd, whilst leaving in Parra’s Darwin crowd? (8500). You forget Kogarah completely? (Another suburban ground greater than Cbus).

Stop fishing for obscure stats to somehow justify your point. The issue is that expansion teams are included with the aim of improving the competition and growing crowds. Not to compete for the crowd wooden spoon.

I specifically said sydney SUBURBAN ground draw the shitty crowds. Ive got not problem with the Sydney games in the central stadiums, at least they are TRYING to grow...

The Tigers games DO need to be split; its not a coincidence that their ANZ games average 22K.
Of course i cut the Brisbane game from the SeaEagle average, i didnt think that needed explaination
I didnt bother with Parra because they are currently at ANZ and are moving to the new Parra stadium. I wouldnt call that suburban.

Ill give you Kogarah, I forgot that existed. Though their average for this year, like LO/SharkPark/Penrith are all up on prvious years. If that trend remains then i will happily eat my words. But i think we all know that by next year, they will all be back to their sub-13k average again and this year will just prove to be an outlier.

I will backtrack a little on my previous statement: A shit GC team still ALMOST ALWAYS pulls better crowds than a high-flying suburban Sydney club.

Canard

Immortal
Now I know full well that this year has been confounded by Commonwealth games and regional matches. And I doubt today’s crowd has been included yet which will bump up the average. But I don’t know how you can make those claims when these are the numbers?

34F796B3-D6E4-4F4C-BD35-F4FC51B6F365.jpg

This year, that have been hampered by conditions beyond their control.

For the last decade they've consistently got better crowds then half of the comp.

Last year there average was better then Souths, Penrith, Manly, St George, Tigers,NZ and Cronulla.

All those teams would shit their pants over a 18k crowd after years of mediocrity whilst sitting at the bottom of the ladder.

LU for some reason, has a hard on for the Gold Coast crowds and yet makes endless excuses for Sydney teams

Canard

Immortal

They haven't got the crowd wooden spoon once before this season, and you seem to be really jumping on this face like it's a consistent thing

Stallion

First Grade
Titans ticket prices can’t be helping. Just looked at what’s available for the Storm game next month, $38 to sit in the corner (“Steel” category), and there appears to be all of one GA bay in another corner which is $27. “Titanium” seating on the try line is $76!

Good and very valid point. Most NRL club ticket prices are too high! So far only Penrith charge reasonable entry prices: $20 GA $25 for a grandstand seat. Clubs that use ANZ stadium are unfortunately performing poorly but have similar pricing ($20 GA, $40 family tickets& $3pies etc)which to my eye are not marketed effectively to the public at large.

adamkungl

Immortal

We didn't host Anzac Day this year ;)

But the criticism of our crowds using this event is pretty funny.
I don't see anyone wanting to chop public holidays or high drawing derbies out of any other club's crowd figures.

Maybe if more clubs had aspirations to host big events instead of sooking about those that do the comp wouldn't be plodding along with 15k average crowds.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Trying to suggest the Titans' crowds are somehow positive is ridiculous IMO. They have a fairly sizeable area to pull from and continue to struggle. Even allowing for the Gladstone/Toowoomba games being pulled out.

Stallion

First Grade
Trying to suggest the Titans' crowds are somehow positive is ridiculous IMO. They have a fairly sizeable area to pull from and continue to struggle. Even allowing for the Gladstone/Toowoomba games being pulled out.

Fair call. The potential has not been harnessed yet. Big junior numbers as well. So all the portents are there. A successfull team on the field with consistent emblem, name and colours should reap rewards over time. Patience and consistency is a virtue.

Timbo

Staff member
It's going to take a generation. The transplanted southerners still have their own teams. Their kids will be the Titans fans.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I disagree. The rooster/Dragons have successfully built an event game that regularly sells out. They deserve full credit for this; other teams would kill for it....

These are the kind of events needed to raise the standard of crowds in Sydney. Big 30-40k event games that then hopefully bring in a few more regulars to the other games

morley101

Juniors
The Titans need to build an animosity to the Broncos... It would help if they play against each other in finals. The Broncos will always believe they are biggest club in South East Queensland.

Timmah

Staff member
Fair call. The potential has not been harnessed yet. Big junior numbers as well. So all the portents are there. A successfull team on the field with consistent emblem, name and colours should reap rewards over time. Patience and consistency is a virtue.
The Titans need to build an animosity to the Broncos... It would help if they play against each other in finals. The Broncos will always believe they are biggest club in South East Queensland.
There has been a Gold Coast team in the NRL/NSWRL/ARL for 20 of the 31 seasons since 1988 and nothing appears to have taken proper hold yet. For a team with limited competitors in the local surrounds, that's not good.

And it goes further to the fact that the area just doesn't seem to be able to sustain a team long term. The population there isn't as solid as other areas (lots of holidaymakers etc compared to other areas).

@morley101 they have played against each other twice in finals - high scoring losses at Robina (2009 crowd 27k) and Suncorp (2016 crowd 43k).

Stallion

First Grade
There has been a Gold Coast team in the NRL/NSWRL/ARL for 20 of the 31 seasons since 1988 and nothing appears to have taken proper hold yet. For a team with limited competitors in the local surrounds, that's not good.

And it goes further to the fact that the area just doesn't seem to be able to sustain a team long term. The population there isn't as solid as other areas (lots of holidaymakers etc compared to other areas).

@morley101 they have played against each other twice in finals - high scoring losses at Robina (2009 crowd 27k) and Suncorp (2016 crowd 43k).

Junior player numbers suggests their is more than a decent interest. They require certainty and consistency both on and off the field.

So you think the NRL was ‘right’ to push people up into the nosebleeds and then realise that it was only Level 1/Level 2 searing left and then sold then off as ‘$15 restricted view’ in a row next to someone who spent $299 on a ticket?

Then they still couldn’t sell of some of those bays. Even with a ‘full’ MCG the 8 (4 on Level 1, 4 on Level 2) bays that were 80% empty in the MCC section of the ground demonstrated that the NRL didn’t do there fans justice with how they managed that crowd.

But let’s focus on crowds that happened in the past month rather than just posting troll comments?

For someone that’s such a ‘Disinterested third party’ you seem obsessed with everything I post.
No I think you were totally wrong regarding the MCG Origin attendance. Something even you admit.

So your record is 100% incorrect since you arrived here.

Why would I or anyone else want to discuss crowds or anything else to do with RL with you?

Canard

Immortal

There not acceptable this year, but they are far from league worst since 2007

Timmah

Staff member
Junior player numbers suggests their is more than a decent interest. They require certainty and consistency both on and off the field.
Junior player numbers does not automatically mean big attendances and positive membership. If it did, the A-League would be one of the world's biggest leagues with sold out 70,000 seat stadia every week.

We need to break free of this myth that kids playing junior sport is automatically a sign they follow a team in the local area (or any other team in the elite competition, for that matter). I wouldn't doubt that grassroots engagement is important and the connections are there, but a region having a good junior base isn't an automatic ticket to sold out games every week either.

Timmah

Staff member
There not acceptable this year, but they are far from league worst since 2007
Fairly consistent slide since then - basically they were a shiny new toy for a few seasons and have been middling to average ever since. Now last in NRL club membership several years running.

Perth Red

Post Whore

600k population and they are in direct competition with the suns who are getting $23mill a year to operate. They’re not great but they’re not the terrible number many seem to believe, in comparison to the rest of the comp. As mentioned theyve never finished last in attendances despite some avg years on the field and terrible ones off it.

Latest posts