What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

yadamisha

Juniors
65k sharks fans at the GF? lol hyperbole. So there was only 18k neutrals and Storm fans? There was that many Storm fans at the 2017 GF I attended. I know people dont like the Sharks but pretty sure there would be quite a few thousand neutrals at every GF.

That would be biased towards Melbourne if anything, saying only 65K Cronulla. Only 3 bays were purple, every other bay was light blue. Look at the replay, there were even comments on the telecast and by Stadium Australia after saying it was the most one sided GF crowd ever and with it the best atmosphere. I was there and not in a Sharks bay at the end and 80% had sharks jerseys on where I was sitting on the concourse. A lot of people I know sourced tickets off those neutrals who didn't end up going. Hottest ticket in town they were. Whole plane loads flew down from QLD!! They ask Locky about his flight down from Brisbane.

The week before against cowboys - no neutrals and about 500-1000 cowboys out of 37500. Everyone else was Cronulla, best game day atmosphere ever.

Sharks fans exist but like every team don't always show until the occasion calls for it.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Souths/roosters got 50k in 2014 prelim and it had the atmosphere of a funeral TBH. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest 20-30k people will be locked out
Was a brilliant atmosphere actually..

Barely any of your fans travelled though.

carcharias

Immortal
View attachment 23306 View attachment 23307

Look at all them blue seats lol

Look at all that purple

Please you’re embarrassing yourself more than usual.
I actually flew in from the states about 2 days before the GF and there were people at the airports in Vegas, San Fran Cisco and NZ ( long shit flight) in sharks jerseys .
It was pretty amazing.

One only needs to watch the replay to see how the sharks out numbered the storm.
Most one sided grand final crowd in history.

King Ben

Juniors
A lot of people I know sourced tickets off those neutrals who didn't end up going. Hottest ticket in town they were.
We were giving away tickets on the radio and the phones didn't stop ringing from the moment the Sharks won against the Cowboys. All Sharks fans.

The week before against cowboys - no neutrals and about 500-1000 cowboys out of 37500. Everyone else was Cronulla, best game day atmosphere ever.
That was actually a better atmosphere than the GF. Maybe because everyone was too nervous for the big game. I'll never remember the roar when the team ran out for the warmup.

Good attempt at trolling by Mr. Red though.

View attachment 23306 View attachment 23307

Look at all them blue seats lol

Look at all that purple
Those 3 bays to the left are the 3 storm fan bays. Were you at the game red? There was easily 60K, just accept it for once. You are making a goose out of yourself about something that doesn’t even matter. You can’t hide your sharks hate even in a crowd thread. You’re pathetic.

taipan

Referee
Please you’re embarrassing yourself more than usual.
I actually flew in from the states about 2 days before the GF and there were people at the airports in Vegas, San Fran Cisco and NZ ( long shit flight) in sharks jerseys .
It was pretty amazing.

One only needs to watch the replay to see how the sharks out numbered the storm.
Most one sided grand final crowd in history.

Our WA mate is colour blind.

King Ben

Juniors
The NRL won't shift a preliminary final blockbuster featuring the Roosters against either the Rabbitohs or Dragons to ANZ Stadium, even though projections the match could attract more than the Allianz Stadium capacity.

League Central was quick on Monday to reiterate it had locked in Allianz Stadium for rugby league's final fling at the venue before it's razed in a $705 million redevelopment, due to start later this year.

The Roosters, who collected their fourth minor premiership in the last six years and won straight through to the preliminary final with victory over the Sharks on Saturday night, had banked on playing the grand final qualifier at the venue.

But with their opponent coming from either the crowd-pulling Rabbitohs and Dragons, it sparked speculation the NRL might generate a bigger crowd by moving the game across town to Sydney Olympic Park.

Allianz Stadium has a capacity of 45,500, but the match could expect to attract far in excess of that, especially if the Rabbitohs win their way through for a high-stakes clash against their old enemy.

But such a move would have been a controversial one and involved moving the clash to South Sydney's home ground, which they have used since 2006.

The NRL is bracing for potentially its biggest finals crowd outside of a preliminary final or grand final when old rivals the Dragons and Rabbitohs meet at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

The record in the NRL era for such a game if 50,621 when the Bulldogs played the Eels in 2007. The Rabbitohs and Parramatta also drew a crowd of 54,626 at the SCG for a 1965 final, the largest in the opening two weeks of a finals series.

Cronulla will play Penrith on Friday night in another all-Sydney elimination final, helping the NRL offset losses from a nightmare task of scheduling week one finals fixtures.

https://outline.com/TtXmun

JB04

Juniors
I was at that Sharks prelim versus the Cowboys (was riding the sharks bandwagon) and out of I think the 38k crowd, 37k were sharks fans. Was a great night and great atmosphere. Also never seen so many drunk people at a game. Guess that must be a shire thing!

taipan

Referee
I was at that Sharks prelim versus the Cowboys (was riding the sharks bandwagon) and out of I think the 38k crowd, 37k were sharks fans. Was a great night and great atmosphere. Also never seen so many drunk people at a game. Guess that must be a shire thing!

I was as sober as the next man.Little do you know realise,i am the next man.

OK after making PR look a goose, any idea what Pax numbers are available for the ANZ clash/fixture on Saturday night?

Valheru

Coach
Was a brilliant atmosphere actually..

Barely any of your fans travelled though.

It was a shit atmosphere

I had members tickets that day and there was barely any noise.

Believe it or not, not everything said on here is a shot at souths. It's not your fault the atmosphere was crap, the toilet of a stadium needs a least 65k to have anything resembling a good atmosphere.

The MP game in 2013 which got 60k was a better atmosphere than the 2014 prelim but still not what you would expect for a 60k crowd given the ground.

Valheru

Coach
On the 2016 GF crowd, sharks fans accounted for at least 65k of the crowd, not sure why anyone is arguing against that.

Having said that, I highly doubt they get the same turnout if they do make a GF within the next 10 years regardless of who their opponent is. The atmosphere in the shire that week was incredible and there were thousands of people on shire social media pages coming out of the wood work as 'sharks fans'. I personally know at least 10 family members and friends who had never mentioned football in my presence before who paid hundreds of dollars to source tickets despite to my knowledge never having attended a game before (my own mother was an example). Add to that all the TV fans who recognised the enormity of the event and went to their first live game in forever.

Those circumstances just won't be repeated again unless there is another long premiership drought and you can bet your bottom dollar half the sharks fans who attended that day wouldn't go this year if they make it.

That's not a criticism of sharks fans, it is just what happens when a premiership drought has a chance to end, see dragons 2010 and souths 2014 as other examples.

carcharias

Immortal
On the 2016 GF crowd, sharks fans accounted for at least 65k of the crowd, not sure why anyone is arguing against that.

Having said that, I highly doubt they get the same turnout if they do make a GF within the next 10 years regardless of who their opponent is. The atmosphere in the shire that week was incredible and there were thousands of people on shire social media pages coming out of the wood work as 'sharks fans'. I personally know at least 10 family members and friends who had never mentioned football in my presence before who paid hundreds of dollars to source tickets despite to my knowledge never having attended a game before (my own mother was an example). Add to that all the TV fans who recognised the enormity of the event and went to their first live game in forever.

Those circumstances just won't be repeated again unless there is another long premiership drought and you can bet your bottom dollar half the sharks fans who attended that day wouldn't go this year if they make it.

That's not a criticism of sharks fans, it is just what happens when a premiership drought has a chance to end, see dragons 2010 and souths 2014 as other examples.

Well I guess that’s why grand finals get 80k and normal club games get 13k

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Maybe the ahhh club should try and target those people to become either Members or attend a match.

Spot on. It should be every club's priority to leverage from successful periods and turn the casual fan into a more engaged attendee and drive crowds, membership and revenues. You are always going to get ebbs and flows in these areas depending on team success, but it's those that capitalize when things are going well that can insulate better against those times when they aren't.

carcharias

Immortal
Maybe the ahhh club should try and target those people to become either Members or attend a match.

Well that theory obviously should be aimed at every team that plays in a grand final.

Just on membership
I think you’ll find most have gone up.
I know the sharks broke their own previous record again this year.

In fact they have gone up every year for at least the last 5 years.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The overall NRL club membership total has grown year-on-year for about 10 years now (at least since it started being counted). Additionally, usually around 8-10 clubs each year have continued to set new benchmarks for most members ever. This year I believe at least 8 clubs also cracked 20k members which is phenomenal given half the clubs could barely crack 10k not all that long ago.

Latest posts